Clarification of rules

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
1. Only referees may use hacks
2. Humans must be reachable w/o building and at all times
3. You may only spleef/push the other team
4. ANY form of PILLAR/TOWER is forbidden!
5. No holes smaller than 2x2x2 are allowed
6. Do not abuse any flaws, glitches, or bugs. Do not respawn
7. Do not use excessive language. Do not insult
8. All jumps must be 2 spaces apart or less
9. Show good sportsmanship, and use common sense
10. Speak English in public chat
11. All clients that don't use standard Minecraft physics are banned
12. All camouflage skins are banned

Okay I have been thinking about this for a good while and I definetaly think it is needed now. Some of the rules we have are very vague and need to be clarified to make it easier for players to understand and for staff to enforce. The specific rules which I would like to highlight in this are rule 5 and 8.

As for rule 5 just recently a player was commenting that they think that there should be consitency in how the rules are enforced. He was hiding in a 1x1x8 spot which was said was legal, he also was told that a spot of 2x1x4 was legal and 2x2x2. It seems that some operators are just counting it as a maximum of 8 spots is legal. This needs to be clarified, people need to know if tha minimum hole size is 2x2x2, which it says in the rules, and not a maximum of 8 blocks. Also in this rule applys the visibility part. What exactly defines visible? Some player have asked if a player sized hole is legal if the entrance to the outside is made of blocks such as glass or leaves. Others have thought that if they delete a row of blocks by them that counts. To prevent further confusion I would like this to be cleared up.

As for rule 8, people have asked if a jump such as 3x-1 is legal, it is but they think it is not because of the 2 block away limit. I think this should be cleared up so that no confusion is caused among this and arguments can be avoided. In addition to this 2x1 jumps need to be counted in to it as the maximum amount is diffrent for every op and it should be a set amount (the main set amount is 4).

One last thing I would like to say is an addition to rule 2 it currently says "Humans must be reachable w/o building and at all times" What I would like to add into it is that humans must be reachable without spleefing as well. Just a simple addition but could clear up some future confusion.

Any feedback would be great to see.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
What exactly defines visible? Some player have asked if a player sized hole is legal if the entrance to the outside is made of blocks such as glass or leaves. Others have thought that if they delete a row of blocks by them that counts. To prevent further confusion I would like this to be cleared up.
A quote from the Wiki, which explains the rules quite well, and something we should perhaps direct people toward if they are mildly confused with some rules is:
<Translucent 1x2 Box If a player is in a tree or glass and is in a hole smaller than 2x2, this is considered legal>
Since the player is in a 1x2(player sized) hole and it is blocked off with glass / leaves, they should be legal.
However, I believe you have to be visibly seen either behind or right next to these blocks to be in a legal position, so If you just place some grass at the entrance of a 1x1x8 tunnel then hide at the back(if that is more to your question), then I don't believe that is counted as legal. Agreed, More clarification could be used here, but that is what I believe the answer to the question is.

As for rule 5 just recently a player was commenting that they think that there should be consitency in how the rules are enforced. He was hiding in a 1x1x8 spot which was said was legal, he also was told that a spot of 2x1x4 was legal and 2x2x2. It seems that some operators are just counting it as a maximum of 8 spots is legal. This needs to be clarified, people need to know if tha minimum hole size is 2x2x2, which it says in the rules, and not a maximum of 8 blocks.
I've had similar problems with some players, and it makes me question... "Am I right? Or is what the player telling me indeed true, and that they are legal? I think I've had this problem with... I believe HypeBurst, as he does make some 8 block holes, and was told it was legal by some op's, so I'm always puzzled now whether to say it's legal or not-legal. I believe It started for me on the map, "Lost."

Rule 8: Just saying jumps must be only 2 spaces apart sometimes does not make sense since we've seen more differentiated jumps, like 1x3(1 down, 3 across), which many people have used, Ex: xXChorasXx is someone I've seen using them on occasion. Not sure how to follow this up or continue, so I'll just leave it at that.

I think there is one more rule also to clarify, and that's rule 7. Although we do use it for people who overly swear and insult, I also use it as the rule for Spam. Other operators, I'll use Awwwyea because we were mildly talking about it earlier during a round, uses Rule 9 (common sense) for spam. I remember operators using Rule 7 before for spam, so I took after that and have used it since, and in some dictionaries which I looked up the word "excessive," it states
<going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree>
So that Rule could easily be used for Spam as well as insults / excessive swearing. I know some people may not view it like that, and may bash that reasoning, but that's what I use for spam.

Hopes this helps discussion / views / making the server better.
But: I have the strong feeling this was talked about before in a similar Thread. Anyone else? I might do some digging unless someone else either finds, or does not find, a similar thread from long-ago.
-JK

• Winner
Reactions: MustabearXD

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
I'll come back and look at this when I wake up enough to know what's going on, my eyes.. I can barely see anything.

Edit: I'm back, and I have to disagree.

What you're saying is to make the rules more specific, which would take a tad bit more than what you think, as spleefing isn't the only thing you could add to rule 2. You could go and say, All humans must be reachable at all times without building, spleefing, or spleefing a zombie. Although it's a mild example, other rules would become paragraphs and that's impossible to read with how fast the chat goes on this server.

Another thing that makes me disagree is that the /rules are all really tied together. (Ex. Rule 1 & 11, 2 & 8, 2 & 4, etc.) which really helps clarify further what the rules mean.

My suggestion, if you really want to go with something like this, is to reword it so that it encompasses everything the rule means to say, without adding paragraphs of information, as the /rules command clogs up a player's chat already.

Here, I'll take rule 2 as an example.
Rule 2. All humans must be reachable without building at all times.
Rule #2: All humans must have a legal path to the block they're on at all times.

Then, I could take rule 3, and do this
Rule 3. You may only spleef/push the other team.
Rule #3: You may only spleef/push the other team UNLESS it breaks rule @2.

Now rules 2 & 3 are tied together, and give a better understanding of the two rules themselves.
Now go and do this with the rest of the /rules and see what happens. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo

Jowe

Giver of Pancakes
Reaction score
Damer_Flinn

Guys - on a question such as this - What really matters is what the HC's think at the time, but the wiki is a really good source of info!

Though i can tell you this - The /rule 5 came about in part because we did not want players just digging down into dirt and standing there idle for the hole map. We made the cube the smallest you could travel in, to encourage players not to be afkish. ( This has evolved over the years. With AFK-kicks, the addition to glass and grass to the 1x2x1 rule. ) Personally i'd still say a 1x8x1 is still against the heart of the /rules. But again, it really doesn't matter what we think when it comes to the /rules. Its going to be the HC's which decide that.

• Agree
Reactions: ethical1337

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Damer_Flinn

Guys - on a question such as this - What really matters is what the HC's think at the time, but the wiki is a really good source of info!

Though i can tell you this - The /rule 5 came about in part because we did not want players just digging down into dirt and standing there idle for the hole map. We made the cube the smallest you could travel in, to encourage players not to be afkish. ( This has evolved over the years. With AFK-kicks, the addition to glass and grass to the 1x2x1 rule. ) Personally i'd still say a 1x8x1 is still against the heart of the /rules. But again, it really doesn't matter what we think when it comes to the /rules. Its going to be the HC's which decide that.
Agreed with all of this. What I have always gone by is what you (being the operator) find as legal. If you feel that someone in a 1x8x1 path on a very large map isn't fair then let the player know. You don't always have to warn or even sound official. A simple "I feel this hole is a bit unfair on a map like this please change it to a proper 2x2x2" Usually gets the job done and everyone is happy. Players, while many can be mentally challenged, are generally smart enough to understand your reasoning.

You guys are operators and are trusted with making the game as fair as possible. You won't get in trouble for going with your judgement at the time of an incident to then find out you were wrong won't get you in trouble.

Relax and do what you think is right at the time. If you need clarification ask a HC like Jowe stated and if they tell you something other than what you were doing then all it takes is to start doing that. Those players you made change their hole size or shape won't hold a grudge, and if they do They will get banned more than likely.

Jowe

Giver of Pancakes
Reaction score
Agreed with all of this. What I have always gone by is what you (being the operator) find as legal. If you feel that someone in a 1x8x1 path on a very large map isn't fair then let the player know. You don't always have to warn or even sound official. A simple "I feel this hole is a bit unfair on a map like this please change it to a proper 2x2x2" Usually gets the job done and everyone is happy. Players, while many can be mentally challenged, are generally smart enough to understand your reasoning.

You guys are operators and are trusted with making the game as fair as possible. You won't get in trouble for going with your judgement at the time of an incident to then find out you were wrong won't get you in trouble.

Relax and do what you think is right at the time. If you need clarification ask a HC like Jowe stated and if they tell you something other than what you were doing then all it takes is to start doing that. Those players you made change their hole size or shape won't hold a grudge, and if they do They will get banned more than likely.
Absolutely! :) Eth you rock!