[CITY BUILD PROJECT] - Discussion/Design Phase

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
So i've been mulling over this for a while and i still maintain, if organised correctly, it could be a fun group project that would help to sharpen some building skills.

Points to be discussed
  • Who can build? How do we keep a balance between quality and openness. Naturally we'd want to let everyone in but some buildings may require more skill than others.
  • What to build? brain-storming ideas for buildings, posting real life examples.
So, without further ado, the first topic we'll discuss before anything.

Who Can Build
This is a tricky one, the current suggestion i can see myself going with is that we allow advbuilders+ to build on the map and make an area for builders+ to design buildings/ask for them to be put in the city. But im open to discussion on this one. To be perfectly honest i wouldn't mind investigating a system of teams claiming a 200*200 or so area and building their own respective area of the city in it.
Thoughts? Opinions?

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Perhaps have the aformentioned group system (I suggest 1 Adv to 2-4 Builders) with the Adv taking a leadership role? Adv Builders will decide what goes in the city when all's done and done but this way all Builders in a group get a chance to design and build for the project.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Is 200x200 even enough for Adv Builders to build a sprawling city?

As for who can build? I wouldn't mind getting in on this. Also, I think that it would be interesting to see how well our aesthetics will work together. As for figuring out the system on who can build/submit things for the City--I think that Malcovent's suggestion about having a separate area for Builders to present their builds would be nice--but I think that some Guests would be interested in working on this as well...

In regard to what to build? I don't know yet, but I think that we could probably group players by their preferred strengths/interests such as specifically working on Interiors or Exteriors.

ealev

Leafy Op
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun idea to me. If we could get this working, it could be great, and who knows, maybe even attract some attention to Buildbox. ;)

As for who can build-- maybe an area where Builders/Guests can build (as already suggested), and if they prove themselves, they can work on it?

And what to build. Well, I'd personally want to see the White House, or the Capitol building.
Just my two cents--

• Agree
Reactions: nitasu987

TheMFreak

Reaction score
I might not have applied for the advanced rating yet, but if you go to /warp mcity in the plots world you'll see that I already have some experience making modern style architecture and interiors.

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
I will try to make a return to bb for this, this sounds fun. As far as who can build, I say have tryouts? Give all the players a theme and a pallet of materials and let em' go. Afterwards judge the buildings, the ones that would best fit get to build? That way everyone has a chance at building?

• Agree
Reactions: Olix and nitasu987
Reaction score
I think that a system of roads and such should first be built (By advanced) to server as the frame-work for the city.
From there, builders (and advanced) can claim plots of specific areas (Maybe larger areas would have to be claimed only by teams).

Just a suggestion! (But looking over it, it seems awfully complicated to carry out :p )

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
So...
In terms of actually "Building a City," I would like to kind of know what you are kind of planning / what you actually mean by this. What I'm kind of stating is like, what type of "theme" is the city actually going for and what should we be expecting if we decide to partake in this group activity?
Will it be a normal, modern city seen with skyscrapers and high-density streets and possibly suburbs on the outskirts?
Or will we be going on different themes such as Medieval, Steampunk, Norse, Sand/Desert, or other themes?
Will it be an underground, possibly roof-hanging city? Or the normal above ground city?
Will we be restricted in terms of what type of blocks we can use as well?

I believe once we have like--- A definite theme, you can actually determine on how/who you want to be able to be building and set up a good system to really make the project more manageable.... Which I think I may have a suggestion for!

Planning Suggestion:
  • Stage 1: Test Building Stage
    • So, this is essentially an open-plain and planning stage where essentially people from any rank have the ability to build their building or construction ideas based on whatever "Theme" these actual city will be going or based on, and pertaining their resources and building materials and architecture of said buildings to match said theme. This allows people to possibly get a good idea of what to expect and to really build in the main City project. If you do decide on a "group" (Advanced watching over builders) style, you can decide whose skills match/can fit well into specific groups of people.
  • Stage 2: Actual project
    • I don't actually like the idea of separating Adv's and normal builders/etc; it's restrictive, and doesn't entirely showcase a different array of people's abilities or how they might view how a structure may or may not look.
      • In actually allowing people to build, I suggest following possibly the idea (I believe FyreUK does this and Jesse Cox's RPG makers did this on the Steampunk-city) that you separate the city in different sections divided off by different wools to symbolize the different areas of said city... (The Vector City is the example for the RPG makers, please look it up-- It's hard to explain xD)
      • Ex: Such as Blue Wool for a "Docks" area or Yellow Wool for possibly a "Temple Complex" (again, depends on the theme), Green wool for a "Park Area," etc, etc, etc. (And based on Budgies' idea, have a group pertaining purely to roads and walls, and all those kinds of things! :p)
      • Once you have the theme down and areas kind of "marked off" with the wool and you have an idea on where you want certain ideas to go, you can have people "Sign Up" or "Join" specific leaders who lead each individual section depending on which section they want to help build, such as if Builder A wants to build skyscrapers in the downtown area, then he can join Group S with said leader. Of course, to prevent saturation and to spread people out, you'll have to put a set-limit on the number of people to join.
      • This allows both Adv Builders, Builders, Operators, and anyone else to build together in a cooperative environment without having all those restrictive groups separating the different ranks. This also makes the project more manageable. Based on each groups respective zone, they can build based on whatever examples they made in the testing phase!
... That's my idea for determining who to build! >.<
Anyways, Building is quite fun! In groups it can make the finished project quite beautiful!

nitasu987

Reaction score
What I think is that it shouldn't be one big city, but lots of smaller cities for each theme, like a Desert City, Medieval City, Steampunk City, Norse City, Modern, etc. In that case, Dibs on working on Steampunk!

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
What I think is that it shouldn't be one big city, but lots of smaller cities for each theme, like a Desert City, Medieval City, Steampunk City, Norse City, Modern, etc. In that case, Dibs on working on Steampunk!
To be honest that would just look random and ugly given the different building styles and different builders.

I think we should just stick with one theme, that being 'city'.

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm working on making a mini city region off of the wizard tower in JtE made of floating islands, perhaps if that starts off well I can try and transfer it over or something, BLOCK BY BLOCK.

Edit: plus I have screenshot schematics to do the stuff.

Eriatarka_

Reaction score
I would really love to be on this project, but I'm kind of lazy with skyscrapers and stuff, making roads and avenues are my thing. Anyhow, I will try to participate even though I don't have much free time now