Chat problems (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

parquette

Reaction score
Hey guys! What's up? It's been a long time since I have written anything outside of the "Ban the person above you! Thread."

The Blocktopia server is one of my all time favorite servers to be on, and I think what it was that made it that was the friendliness of the community. The members were super friendly, always helping out with issues, the operators were fun, and everyone just seemed like family in a way (I'm referring to late Classic TNT, into early Blocktopia). I have been a member of Blocktopia for years (I think it's been since 2011), and over time I have noticed that that friendliness has slowly faded away. There are still people on here who are real friendly, but it seems that it's a smaller percentage than it was originally.

I think that some of the problem has to do with the level of chat on the servers. With the internet, people can type posts they intend to be fun/or sad but the reader won't get that sense of emotion in it because he can't see the writer in person. The person who reads whatever the comment is can never understand if it is meant to be a happy, sad, sarcastic, or mad one. Where I am going with this involves cussing, and vulgar comments. Yes, I have brought up the cussing factor to you before, but I feel that it is getting to the point that it desperately needs to be considered by the community. Players will read the comment in the chat with the cuss words, and it won't be pleasant to read. The F word has been used repetitively in the chat every time I log on. Every other sentence has either the S or F word used. I know everyone thinks it helps someone express their emotions (granted, it slightly does), but it really makes a person sound upset, mad, or sarcastic. Has anyone really considered what these words really mean? The F word means something completely different than what most people think it does (I can't give the definition here because I would violate the Forum rules by mentioning the content). Here is an example of how it is being used on the servers: "I can't *f*ing get this *bs* build of mine to match with the image I have in my head. This is as annoying as *f*, let me tell you." This is really sad, because it is over using the words, and it's not even being used in the right context. Plus, are these people being considerate of who is playing on the server? Yes there could be pre teens who are just learning about life and things, do you really want them (especially if their parents have been trying to keep them from hearing these words so soon) to find out about these words, and then have to ask their parents what they mean? Guys we really need to think about this.

Yes, this is a server for teens and up. Yes, they need to mature probably, but within reason. There is such thing as a too early stage for finding out about things in life. This is supposed to be an enjoyable server, it really takes the fun away when you want to talk with others on there but all they do is reply with swearing. And we are trying to attract other new players to this community right? Cussing isn't going to help, because it looks like (as mentioned above) the person is upset or sarcastic.

Now I'm not asking you all to wipe out cussing for good (the rules on here state that a person may freely express themselves), but could we please try and keep it within reason? We want this to be a happy community, and it really takes the fun out (especially for me, it's extremely hard to read the chat) when we don't have a warm, friendly, welcoming community that is willing to help others out in a friendly manner. I'm trying to help this community be like it was when Classic Minecraft was what everyone was talking about, and how fun it was to be on here. This community has changed so much over the years (lol, I'm sounding like an oldie here), but the friendliness shouldn't change. We should be just as warm and light hearted as we were when this all started.

One last point I would like to make: in the terms and conditions of this community it requests us to not talk about sex, religion, or what have you. I have noticed that there also has been comments on the forums about "holding wieners" and conversations related to sexual topics. This isn't something we should be talking about really, because it not only violates the agreements, it makes the conversation awkward for some people, myself included. For example; if someone is part of a religion that requires them to be living chaste lives and they want to play this server, I think we should respect them and their faith (despite whatever their religion may be). We aren't helping them live their religious lives if we are intruding it with comments that steer them away from their devotion. I'm basically asking if we could try and keep the comments within the rules and terms of this great group I have had the pleasure of playing with. I do love this community, and would do anything to help it out if I could. I do apologize if I sound like I am attacking anyone, or sound like I am ranting. Also, this isn't something I consider funny really, it's something I am very serious about. I thank you all for reading this post and for considering the matter. Have a great day!

-parquette (Par_Smaugslayer)

(P.S. on a lighter note, it's Winter time right now in America, and in the state I'm in, it's warm spring like weather... dang warm front)

Last edited:

parquette

Reaction score
But why not try? You want more people to want to stay in the community, but we are losing more and more people. The Departure thread has been extremely active lately, more so than it was a year ago.I know I can hide the chat, but as stated above, people want to talk to others and be able to enjoy it. I have taken this into consideration, but this is a serious issue.
This thread isn't something I consider funny. I am serious about this, and am just trying to help the community...

• Dislike
Reactions: Jivvi

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
you dont need to "help the community" by suggesting we cut down on vulgar language

hell i think we need MORE vulgar language who the fuck's with me

nah but anyway this isn't a way to make the community better, if 12 year olds get offended by what we say they shouldn't be playing in the first place

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is literally a you problem

Not only does no one else perceive swearing and associate it with anger and negative emotions, but the use of language also doesn't bother anyone but you. Sure, there may be other young kids that share the sentiment (from lack of exposure I'm certain), but this is neither the solution to the problem you've brought up, and I'm fairly sure its origin and cause are both misinterpreted by your bias as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Jivvi and mariosatr

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
Responding to your point about swearing - it's just not a problem.
I'm one of those advocates of "swearing is fine, as long as it's not directed or excessive". Its flaw is that it's incredibly subjective, in what you defined "excessive" as. Thankfully, people in this community at least usually draw it at a reasonable ground.
My personal view is that "banter", as people call it, is completely fine as long as it's limited and definitely between friends. The moment someone gets offended, they stop. This kind of thing was common in Blocktopia, and no-one took issue to it back then. So I'm unsure of why people would take issue to it now. I haven't been on the servers at all recently, but knowing some of the people who still go on, I can't imagine it getting that far out of hand. Also, part of the maturity of this community in my opinion is that people are able to use such words without either taking it out of hand or making a big deal out of it. Words are words, after all - though they shouldn't be used in a formal context at all, words like "fuck" and "shit" aren't offensive and no-one is going to get hurt just because you said them.
Besides - if pre teens managed to reach our servers without seeing other people cuss out on the internet, then I'm honestly impressed. Everyone uses obscene language nowadays. As long as it doesn't get out of hand, it should be completely fine, and if it gets out of hand or is used in the wrong context (i.e. with malicious intent) then appropriate action can be taken by staff.
About your comment on religion - again, the internet is a super liberal place. I've never heard of a single person offended by someone something said here because of their religion, and I doubt I ever will. It's simply not a problem.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Jivvi and Aqua

Aqua

Does anybody remember laughter?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
But why not try? You want more people to want to stay in the community, but we are losing more and more people. The Departure thread has been extremely active lately, more so than it was a year ago.I know I can hide the chat, but as stated above, people want to talk to others and be able to enjoy it. I have taken this into consideration, but this is a serious issue.
This thread isn't something I consider funny. I am serious about this, and am just trying to help the community...
Gonna be honest and mind my French.. Oh-wait sorry that's offencive, my mistake... mind my language... but shittalking honestly isn't a negative thing, hey when me or mario etc. greet each other on TS, it's usually followed by "kill yourself" or something stupid such as that. Yes, I know this is somewhat of a stretch, but it applies all the same... this is the internet after all, it isn't a safespace.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I don't play on RoF so I don't really know much about this. Infact I probabily know nothingguess who I am? you're right its JOHN CENA TUTUUDUD!. But I disagree with that last paragraph you have there.

The way I perceive it we're the devil tempting young religious people into sinning? No? Well then what is this stuff right here!
For example; if someone is part of a religion that requires them to be living chaste lives and they want to play this server, I think we should respect them and their faith (despite whatever their religion may be). We aren't helping them live their religious lives if we are intruding it with comments that steer them away from their devotion.
Honestly if someone is doubting their beliefs because of wiener holding then the problem really doesn't lie with us. I don't think we're doing anything wrong by using some innocent swear words/jokes here and there.

parquette

Reaction score
So its the person's problem because of his religion or opinion?
I didn't call any of you devil tempting (anything but that), I'm just trying to help make this place a better more enjoyable place for religious people.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I didn't call any of you devil tempting (anything but that), I'm just trying to help make this place a better more enjoyable place for religious people.
Well I would respond but you know I already broke the rule about talking about religion so I can't really defend my argument here about why there is nothing wrong with some wiener jokes =(

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Love and Mooglie

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Parq, you may have set yourself an impossible task here.

People are going to swear. You can't stop them. We don't let people spam swears, but we do let them swear a bit. It's just what people are going to do, you can't stop them. The reason people are taking the mick is because you're taking this a bit too far. Religious people don't start freaking out at the sight of the word "damn" - if they did they probably wouldn't be using a computer.

We allow it, and I'm afraid that's not going to change.

(PS: Sorry I had to get my meme-killer out. They were funny, but we do have to take this seriously, whatever you think of it.)

Last edited:

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but it's just not one shared with many others. Swearing is a natural behavior and everyone does it. To disallow it wouldn't just be a challenge- It would be impossible. The players would definitely not accept it. Some people would go as far as calling it censoring of free speech-- an exaggerated response, but it would happen nonetheless.

Reactions: parquette

parquette

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not really having any problem with that word, or the word "ass". It's mainly the F word's over usage I am looking at. I know you allow it, that's how Classic TNT was, it just wasn't used all that much as it is now. I'm just hoping we can keep that same friendliness we once had when swearing was an occasional thing. Thanks for your other post btw SirComputer!

snowma

Dwarf
Donor
Reaction score
I totally get where you are coming from but there's always been a thing around the community where there isn't much of a censor around excessive language. I can't see members of this community toning down the swearing any time soon. I've personally got nothing against swearing and I think you're wrong when you suggest that the community is declining because of it.

I've got nothing against religion or other peoples opinions but it's one of those things where I won't enforce things on others if they return the favour.

Again, I see your opinion. I've got a younger sister who has been on the servers but I've just had to take it as it is and accept that the language on the servers won't change any time soon. Jolteon has the right idea with hiding chat if people do really have an issue with seeing bad language on screen.

I'm sorry to say that you are fighting a losing battle here :(

parquette

Reaction score
I'm not asking to disallow it, just requesting we keep it within reason so that others might not be offended by it. Occasional use is fine with me

{Edit}

Wouldn't Hiding the chat make it harder for people trying to communicate with you to ask for help though? For the necessary things, it would make it more difficult

Last edited:

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Please take this post seriously, whatever you may think of it.

Is that not much to ask for? Par put some time into this thread, treat it properly. I don't blame Hunter for rating my post Optimistic...
Says a lot about what people think about it if it devolves into memes tho :coffee:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: I'll say this much - your religion has zero bearing. If we're playing a (excuse my GOP discourse here) "religious card" then I could tell you that abrahamic religions make me pretty damn uncomfortable, but I don't make outrageous claims asking that to be "respected" much like you'd ask language to be toned down because someone is "living chaste" or whatever the fuck

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I'm not asking to disallow it, just requesting we keep it within reason so that others might not be offended by it. Occasional use is fine with me
Well if you have some particular names you think are overdoing it, please contact the admins of the server with the regarding names/proof so that if they find it excessive use aswell, they'll tell the person to tone down.

• Agree
Reactions: Enderfive

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
In fact, I consider fuck to be one of the most beautiful words in the English language. Besides It's sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations:

It can be used in an anatomical description
  • "He's a fucking asshole."
It can be used to tell time
  • "It's five fucking thirty."
It can be used in business
  • "How did I end up with this fucking job?"
It can be maternal
  • as in "Motherfucker."
Valuable Vocabulary Chart Below:
Greetings
  • "How the fuck are you?"
Fraud
  • "I got fucked by the car dealer."
Dismay
  • "Oh, fuck it."
Trouble
  • "Hell, I guess I'm fucked now."
Aggression
  • "Fuck you."
Disgust
  • "Fuck me."
Confusion
  • "What the fuck...?"
Difficulty
  • "I don't understand this fucking business."
Despair
  • "Fucked again."
Exasperation
  • "For fuck's sake."
Enjoyment
  • "This is fucking great."
Hostility
  • "I'm going to knock your fucking head off."
Stupidity
  • "Geir Bergerud is a Fuckwad!"
Incompetence
  • "He's such a fuck-up."
Ignorance
  • "Fuck if I know."
Displeasure
  • "What the fuck is going on here?"
Lost
  • "Where the fuck are we?"
Disbelief
  • "Unfuckingbelievable!"
Retaliation
  • "Up your fucking ass."
Surprise
  • "Fuckin A!"
Surprise
  • "Well, I'll be fucked."
Suspicion
  • "What the fuck are you doing?"
Contempt
  • "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!"
Damaged or ruined
  • "Jube's chance of getting unbanned is completely fucked"
Famous quotes.
General Custer's last words:
  • "Look at all the fucking Indians!"
Mayor of Hiroshima:
  • "Holy FUCK!"
Captain of the Titanic:
  • "Where is all this fucking water coming from?"
The mind boggles at the many creative uses of the word FUCK! Use it regularly in your daily speech. It will add to your prestige. (source)

It's one of the only infixes of the English language: I personally love using fan-fucking-tastic. It also doesn't even make sense to censor or limit its usage- Whether someone likes it or not, they are going to hear "fuck" a lot, anywhere they go. Be it on a website, videogame server, school, work-- Unless someone is insanely sheltered, they'll hear the word a fuckton anyway. I don't see any reason for a videogame community (of all places) to start limiting its usage.

EDIT: I do agree with you on there being a time and a place for everything though, and that its usage should be a bit limited, anyway. It's a beautitul word, and there is definitely some over-use, but I wouldn't considering it a major problem.

Last edited:

parquette

Reaction score
It's not anyone specifically, it's just the majority of the community. There are people I know who aren't over doing it though, and I thank them for that.

Aqua

Does anybody remember laughter?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
It's not anyone specifically, it's just the majority of the community. There are people I know who aren't over doing it though, and I thank them for that.
The majority of a dying community is doing something, and you want to stamp that out....

Surely that's gonna make the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffflame die faster.

• Winner
Reactions: Velzerat

parquette

Reaction score
In fact, I consider fuck to be one of the most beautiful words in the English language. Besides It's sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations:

It can be used in an anatomical description
  • "He's a fucking asshole."
It can be used to tell time
  • "It's five fucking thirty."
It can be used in business
  • "How did I end up with this fucking job?"
It can be maternal
  • as in "Motherfucker."
Valuable Vocabulary Chart Below:
Greetings
  • "How the fuck are you?"
Fraud
  • "I got fucked by the car dealer."
Dismay
  • "Oh, fuck it."
Trouble
  • "Hell, I guess I'm fucked now."
Aggression
  • "Fuck you."
Disgust
  • "Fuck me."
Confusion
  • "What the fuck...?"
Difficulty
  • "I don't understand this fucking business."
Despair
  • "Fucked again."
Exasperation
  • "For fuck's sake."
Enjoyment
  • "This is fucking great."
Hostility
  • "I'm going to knock your fucking head off."
Stupidity
  • "Geir Bergerud is a Fuckwad!"
Incompetence
  • "He's such a fuck-up."
Ignorance
  • "Fuck if I know."
Displeasure
  • "What the fuck is going on here?"
Lost
  • "Where the fuck are we?"
Disbelief
  • "Unfuckingbelievable!"
Retaliation
  • "Up your fucking ass."
Surprise
  • "Fuckin A!"
Surprise
  • "Well, I'll be fucked."
Suspicion
  • "What the fuck are you doing?"
Contempt
  • "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!"
Famous quotes.
General Custer's last words:
  • "Look at all the fucking Indians!"
Mayor of Hiroshima:
  • "Holy FUCK!"
Captain of the Titanic:
  • "Where is all this fucking water coming from?"
The mind boggles at the many creative uses of the word FUCK! Use it regularly in your daily speech. It will add to your prestige. (source)

It's one of the only infixes of the English language: I personally love using fan-fucking-tastic. It also doesn't even make sense to censor or limit its usage- Whether someone likes it or not, they are going to hear "fuck" a lot, anywhere they go. Be it on a website, videogame server, school, work-- Unless someone is insanely sheltered, they'll hear the word a fuckton anyway. I don't see any reason for a videogame community (of all places) to start limiting its usage.

EDIT: I do agree with you on there being a time and a place for everything though, and that its usage should be a bit limited, anyway. It's a beautitul word, and there is definitely some over-use, but I wouldn't considering it a major problem.
I understand, but this list is mostly what I mean when it is being over used. It's in every other sentence of the chat. There isn't much prestige earned in it, except for people getting upset and things. I'm not sure why it should be put into every day lives though?
I'm ending my posts on this thread at this point so as to avoid this becoming a debate. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Marvelfan01

Reaction score
I'm sorry, this demand is never going to be taken fucking seriously. I apologize only skimming the entire thesis you decided to post but I have to say, with maturity comes understanding. If we so wish to use words that do not personally offend or attack others, we are free to use them so. The word "fuck" or "shit" isn't a racial slur, does not reference religion, sexual orientation, or anything personal that could possibly make anyone offended, it has to do with coitus and excrement. If you have a huge problem with it, it's not our fault, it's yours, mute people, turn off chat, whatever. We're not going to adjust the way we speak for your standards. That's all I have to say.

• Winner
Reactions: Jivvi and Notme
Status
Not open for further replies.