Change in Rank Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Controller should stay only on Minecraft servers, it makes most sense to me. Non-Minecraft servers don't really have much need for them as well.

It's looking like:
Community Administrator - equivalent of Administrator
Server Administrator - equivalent of Director
Controller (Minecraft only) - equivalent of Controller (d'oh)
Moderator/Operator - equivalent of Operator

As far as general rank structure goes, this seems agreeable. A few questions, though:
1. Do we want name to be Moderator or Operator? Not very important, but it's just between whether it's worth switching or not.
2. If we have any special ranks, like an advertiser who's job is to get our name out there, what rank would they be? Where would they lie?
3. Change colors at all or no?

JtTorso

Reaction score
As much as I would like to see consistency throughout all of our games and servers, I feel Controller has been an important and valued rank, I have always considered it to be the stepping stone to Director. My query is how our newer gametypes and servers will work without a similar rank, we would have people going from Operator to Director. Unless we were to allow Directors of non-minecraft servers to create a similar type rank if they needed it.

tnm

Reaction score
1. While I personally prefer operator, moderator probably falls more in line with what other servers / communities would name it. Being different is good, so long as people actually understand what the rank is- maybe it would be worth renaming controller to something like senior moderator or senior operator to be a little more consistent? Operator or moderator though, I have no real preference.
2. Impossible to say, it really depends what their role is. As for advertiser, I'd probably say their role is equivalent to operator/moderator, but not for a specific server- they could have the rank on the forums but not the "advertiser" badge or similar.
3. The colours seem just fine to me.

Moving on, I think the best route would be to remove controller from non minecraft servers from the time being, however if they deem essential we could re-add them- after all, we don't really know how it's going to turn out until we actually try it.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I'd be fine with calling it either Moderator or Operator, but for the sake of being different we should go with Moderator. We definitely should change colors of that rank, possibly to pink or even dark green so it will look different than Operator.

I really like the current list of ranks that superstein posted; enough ranks to cover all bases without having clutter.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
Already stated how I feel about this but just adding I think Controller should also take on a new name because...

1.) It's definitely worth the change. In a way, this is a new rank and keeping with our theme of new and improved, it'll better suit our community as a whole with slightly different and clear expectations.

2.) Really depends on the rank and their role. If you want to start a separate thread for possible side ranks, we can discuss some!

3.) I'm all for colour changes, baby. It'll be fun! We've had the same colours for forever - not that that's a bad thing - but changes all around is nice.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
So Mr. Malcovent had a great idea, and that is to have two rank "branches"

Server Staff:
Server Administrator - equivalent of Director
Controller (Minecraft only) - equivalent of Controller (d'oh)
Moderator/Operator - equivalent of Operator

Community Staff:
Community Administrator - equivalent of Admin
Forum Moderator - new!
Other Roles We May Find Useful

Yes/no, maybe so?

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
To make sure I understand: "Server Staff" refers to every game we'll be hosting while "Community Staff" doesn't necessarily mean they have a rank in a game - just on the forums?
Yes, of course people may be a Forum Mod and staff on a server, but Community Staff can refer to any position that relates to the community - be it forums, teamspeak, someone like an advertiser, anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.