Carpet Bombs and Napalm Strikes

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
I was thinking recently about ideas for new weapons, and two that stuck out to me were the ideas of a Carpet Bomb and a Napalm Strike.

Weapon: Carpet Bomb
Essentially, a Carpet Bomb is like an airstrike in that it comes from the air, and drops TNT in a straight line from the edge of the map behind you to the edge of the map in front of you, depending on which way your facing. Each TNT would drop around 8 blocks away from the last TNT, giving a couple blocks in-between each, so people have a chance to survive it. It takes 6 seconds to begin dropping and may or may not break blocks under it.

The issue I had with this weapon is the fact that it would more than likely be an easy way to spawn kill, so I thought, maybe the first 12 blocks on each side of the map would be left unscathed, since most set spawns are within the first 12 blocks of a map. This would mean that only 5 bombs would drop on most maps, but if used right, can still be an effective way to kill. As for the maps with spawns that are farther than 12 blocks, this weapon would be awful.
Anyone who has any other ideas on how to effectively keep this weapon from hitting spawns please let it be known.;)

• Price:
-Probably around 150 points.
  • Upgrades:
  1. 14,000 - Substitutes TNT for Big-TNT each drop.
  2. 10,000 - Another TNT drop after 6 seconds of the first one.
  3. 12,000 - TNT drops come from all four sides, instead of two.
  • Block:
-Purple Wool.​

Weapon: Napalm Strike
A Napalm Strike is very similar to a laser, but instead, covers a line going from edge to edge of the map (depending on which way your facing), and the lava goes up the hills and down the slopes in a single line of lava. However, the Napalm Strike will start after 5 seconds of placing the block, and will keep burning the ground for 5 seconds, killing anyone who steps in its inferno wake. This weapon is a very good tactical weapon, if used right. This weapon should have less of an impact on spawns, but if any spawns are open, it could be devastating.
  • Price:
-probably around 100 points.​
  • Upgrades:
  1. 8,000 - The fire burns hotter, and lasts for 3 more seconds before disappearing.
  2. 25,000 - Increases the width of the strike by 1 block, similar to the laser upgrade.
  • Block:
-Iron Ore​

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
Question about the Upgrade for Napalm Strikes. Is the 2nd upgrade like the full laser upgrade? If so, I think the prize of the upgrade should be around 30k.
Yes, it becomes 3 blocks wide. And I think 30k is too expensive, but I see now that 15k may be a little to low. How about 22,500 points?

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Carpet Bomb - I think it would be far too much like airstrike to be worth doing. As far as I notice when playing, stuff falling from the sky I'm going to try my hardest to avoid whether it's coming in a certain pattern or falling randomly. I doubt anybody would care/notice, and so it wouldn't be any strategical advantage to use one over the other, it's just raining explosions from the sky.

As for napalm, I think it's a reasonable idea. I had a go at trying to write it myself, making reasonable progress but was hit by a few problems that i was unable to overcome. I think it could be a very useful weapon for certain situations though, but coding it to be as versatile as you'd want it to be would probably be a big challenge. Mainly because it would be difficult in refining how high it should be able to place the next block of napalm compared to the block before it in terms of Y values, so as to define how steep of a hill it could climb without being buggy.

Reactions: GOODYSMOODY