BuildBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olix

Reaction score
Name of map:BuildBox

Author:Xilo27 and Olix27

Size: about 80 by 80

Map boundary:Central sponge at -4x, 255y, -18z, square boundary with radius of 42
Kits:
Code:
HunterLeader:
Lava_Griefer:
-STONE_SWORD
-BOW
-ARROW|128
-LAVA_BUCKET
-WATER_BUCKET
-ENDER_PEARL|1
-VINES|42
-SNOW_BLOCK|128
HunterStart:
Griefer:
-WOOD_SWORD
-BOW
-ARROW|32
-SNOW_BLOCK|64
SurvivorStart:
Adv_Builder:
-WOOD_SWORD
-COOKIE|64
-DISPENSER
-ARROW|16
Random or choose kits?: Random

Fixes!:

Here's a brief overview of the changes made to the map since we first released it:

You can read through this more lengthy description below if you don't necessarily agree with something we did here, and want to see why choose to change the map like that, but for the most part our shorter description should suffice.

-Added and lowered bedrock enforced ceiling. (cheatyface)
-All bows removed from chests. (AngelVW)
-Added chests around spawn containing sticky pistons, redstone torches, redstone dust, wooden pressure plates, repeaters, and levers. (Baker93)
-Made walls two blocks thick to allow hidden wiring (yet, staircasing inside of them isn't practical).
-Removed ladders from a chest (now there are only vines).
-Gave the Dark Hunter (Lava_Greifer) a water bucket, to help make some lower bases more accessible.
-Added and lowered bedrock enforced ceiling. (cheatyface)
Don't worry - no "sky pillaring" is possible anymore, and everyone will be easily reachable in a short amount of time.

In short, we want this map focused around building strategically planned protective bases, not around building a base that takes half of the round time to reach, and we think this bedrock ceiling should lead to that.

There is still quite a bit of space beneath the map, but we figure it wouldn't take more than like 20 - 30 seconds max to get down there, and having hunters on top of your base coming down is much more difficult to defend.

We hope this'll just lead to bases being fun to defend for survivors, and fun to attack for hunters, and that kind of balance is really what makes map an AOD map fun, so that's why we wanted to submit this new map idea to you guys - thanks for your input!

-All bows removed from chests. (AngelVW)
We agree, for survivors, that'd just be overpowered. Yet, all the hunters have bows with plenty of arrows, so survivors must incorporate arrow shields into their bases - which'll lead to much more intense base designs, we hope.

-Added chests around spawn containing sticky pistons, redstone torches, redstone dust, wooden pressure plates, repeaters, and levers. (Baker93)
About Baker's suggestion, we LOVE it, and it's now heavily incorperated.

1. All of the double chests at spawn (full of each color of wool) have a chest above them, full of redstone torches, pistons, redstone repeaters, levers, redstone dust, and wooden pressure plates (as opposed to stone pressure plates to allow easy dismantling) Here's a screen shot, if you're curious:

We didn't put these items in the kits because sometimes kits are unreliable. No offense to the programmers - technical difficulties are understandable - and it's an excessively impressive plugin, but if you don't get these materials on this map, it's just no fun.

Also, it allows people that die before the build time is up to still have building resources, so they're not suddenly dependent on others bases if they accidentally fall in the building process.

Yet they still lose their weapons, providing a reasonable motivation for trying to be careful in the build time.

The only exception to this is that wooden weapons can still be obtained if they find the chest with saplings, bonemeal, and dirt, but that's so out of the way that if they're willing to do that, they probably deserve the wooden weapons again.

-Made walls two blocks thick to allow hidden wiring (yet, staircasing inside of them isn't practical).
This goes along with the point above - allowing survivors to create hidden traps inside the walls, activated by a lever or something to sabotage the hunters on their way to the survivors.

This ended up being quite fun in testing, but still difficult for the survivors, as they had to quickly mine out a big area of wool to put in their trap, and make the spot where the survivors stood to activate the trap (with a lever, usually) protected from arrows.

These sorts of traps are also fairly easily dismantled by hunters, but having them hid in the walls means that, at least the first time hunters travel up their staircase, they won't know what to expect.

Most importantly, it's just fun to press a lever and watch the hunter casually pop off your staircase and fall into the void =)

The only concern with these walls would be survivors digging a large tunnel/staircase inside the walls and hiding in it, making it nearly impossible for hunters to find them, but really, in only three minutes, "wallcasing" simply isn't practical.

If this really became a problem, we could just remove the white wool, leaving marks where survivors entered the wall. But for now, since hiding like that is against the rules we imagine there shouldn't be a problem, and we'd like to keep the white wool for now, just to give survivors the ability to hide their traps well.

The only thing we were worried about was the idea of TNT, with TNT damage off.
At first we liked the idea - but, in testing the map, we found it just leads to 2 things:
-Traps that kill hunters and leave their bows and such for the survivors - where the hunters have almost no way to know what just hit them or how to defend against it
-TNT dropped on hunters trying to infiltrate bases. Essentially, it's just another version of a bow/ranged weapon for survivors - too overpowered.

And TNT damage on unfortunately just leads to survivors having their staircases/access points blown up, becoming unaccessible without hunters pillaring, which is bad.

So, at this point, we'd say no TNT - but we're still open for suggestions! Any map is better with balanced explosives - and we'd like to include it if there is a way.

-Removed ladders from a chest (now there are only vines).
This is simply to make bases more accessible to survivors.

Replacing these ladders prevents survivors falling, placing the ladders to survive, building a base down below, and saying that it's "accessible" because there's ladders near the base start. Ladders hurt you if you land directly on top of them, making it nearly impossible to use them to prevent fall damage unless you land on them at exactly the right angle - while vines just stop the fall wherever you land on them - making it more fair for hunters (so the difficulty isn't getting to the base, but, instead, infiltrating it).

We like the idea of vines, on the other hand, it gives survivors a way to escape at the last minute while they're falling, but, as they can be quickly followed by hunters, or just shot by bows, it really doesn't lead to any annoying postponing of the round - just some exciting last minute action.

The only concern we do have is that survivors could fall down, place a vine to stop their fall, begin building their base towards the map bottom, then destroy the vine, but we don't think this should be too much of a problem, as there's only enough vines really for 1 person, in 1 chest.

If someone really does do that though, we can just warn them that their base is inaccessible which is against the rules and that they need to place a vine back - preventing everyone there from doing it again.

Even if the survivor down there was out of vines and couldn't place a vine back, it wouldn't be too much of a problem, as the Lava griefer has a water bucket that could be used to make a simple access point to their base, and staircasing down the walls is super easy for any hunter - they could get to the bottom of the map in probably about 20 - 30 seconds.

-Gave the Dark Hunter (Lava_Greifer) a water bucket, to help make some lower bases more accessible.
(Explained in the post above - basically, this acts as a failsafe of sorts if survivors make inaccessible bases far below, and overall, this simply allows hunters to spend more time infiltrating bases, and less time getting to them)
And, in final, thank you so much everyone for the great input, this community is what makes blocktopia such a great bundle of servers, and we hope that this map can help us give back to blocktopia a little bit.

We welcome any more input too - your comments is what this map needs to hopefully eventually blossom into a suitable AOD map - thanks!

Screenshots:
There are chests underneath all of the floating sand blocks ;) (just can't see them due to the render distance)
Notes: This map is for much building, and good housing. Build houses like you would if you were protecting your favorite cookie. Then protect the yums from the poky pokey people.

NOBODY can break chests.

Spawn Location: -4x, 72y, -18z

Download Link

Olix

Reaction score
Quick note - the unzipped file is 310 mb. I'd remove a few of the unnecessary regions to reduce the file size.
Ok, shrunk the file a bit. ;)
We also added some feather falling boots in the sandy chests for good measure, and gave survivors cookies instead of rotten flesh (to fit the description).

Writr

Reaction score
To be entirely honest, I'm not sure how well this would work on AoD. I'm not saying that in a negative way, to suggest that it COULDN'T work...I just honestly have no idea whether this would be a map that favors the hunters a whole lot or favors survivors more. There are just so many options as to what they could do with all those blocks.

I think it would be interesting to at least try this map on AoD to see how it works. If people end up hating it a whole bunch, it could be removed. But I think it's worth a try. :)

Olix

Reaction score
To be entirely honest, I'm not sure how well this would work on AoD. I'm not saying that in a negative way, to suggest that it COULDN'T work...I just honestly have no idea whether this would be a map that favors the hunters a whole lot or favors survivors more. There are just so many options as to what they could do with all those blocks.

I think it would be interesting to at least try this map on AoD to see how it works. If people end up hating it a whole bunch, it could be removed. But I think it's worth a try. :)
Those were pretty much our thoughts as well, it was a quick build just to test out the concept. The main idea was that survivors could construct creative bases and defend them from hunters. We were thinking that that could be fun for both parties (hunter and survivor).
Gameplay for survivors: they get to build fortresses strategically to defend from hunters. Each time the map is played, they can improve on their bases to help them survive longer.
Gameplay for hunters: while the dark hunter will be sad (and probably dissapointed to be taken from his masterpiece), we thought that hunters would have a great time in this map. They get to infiltrate fortresses in whatever way they can think of, and the map will be different every time due to the survivors changing forts.

Plus, if it becomes super popular, extensive strategies could develop, and fish heads could roll.

Olix

Reaction score
Or we could have 11 sky high pillars, and a hunter who only gets 2 chances at killing 1 survivor. Plus, you're begging people to make themselves unreachable.
That's a good point. Well, what about enforcing a height limit of about 50 blocks above the spawn platform? Then the map would still keep that "build your own base" feel, but it would end up being based much more around good base design then who can build the highest tower.

Writr

Reaction score
Or we could have 11 sky high pillars, and a hunter who only gets 2 chances at killing 1 survivor. Plus, you're begging people to make themselves unreachable.
^
That was one of the main problems I thought of for this map. It offers itself up to be something fun and allow for lots of creativity, but it also allows for players to be huge jerks and ruin the fun of the game, too. So I dunno. Considering how the community seems to try to do a good job of policing itself, I think it would be worth it to try the map and see how things go.

Refrigerated_Elements

Dear Apparition
Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Theres way too many blocks. for forts 5 stacks of blocks for me takes me about 5 minutes to make so 10 stacks of blocks would take like 10 minutes making it impossible for hunters to reach you. also keep in mind as forts get taller and taller it gets hard to hit humans with bows. Also having 10+ forts would make humans win every time. But its a cool concept but it wouldn't work well -1

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Theres way too many blocks. for forts 5 stacks of blocks for me takes me about 5 minutes to make so 10 stacks of blocks would take like 10 minutes making it impossible for hunters to reach you. also keep in mind as forts get taller and taller it gets hard to hit humans with bows. Also having 10+ forts would make humans win every time. But its a cool concept but it wouldn't work well -1
He can lower map height and reduce it dramatically, that way there is no 'super high piss every hunter off' towers and the hunters would have a good chance. Something that I'd personally suggest is removing bows from the map because then it will be practically Impossible, unless a hunter starts at the top of a main tower then they'd work together to take down the others.

Olix

Reaction score
What Angel said, I will (if possible) enforce a build height limit to stop people from building super high forts. The main purpose here is not to just build as high as possible, but to build as strategically as possible. If I can't get the build height limit to work, I will just add a low ceiling reinforced with bedrock.
Something that I'd personally suggest is removing bows from the map because then it will be practically impossible, unless a hunter starts at the top of a main tower then they'd work together to take down the others.
True, the bows have now been removed from the chests. Hunters should have bows, because survivors should always incorporate arrow shields into their bases.

Guinessis

Reaction score
I'd like to give this map a shot at least. It can't hurt to try something new, as long as we're able to remove it quickly if things go very badly during testing. I would highly recommend restricting the build height, otherwise we'll have some very aggravating towers rather than actual forts.

+1 (for testing)

• Agree
Reactions: Danni122112

Olix

Reaction score
Map downloads updated: neither contain bows for survivors. There are now two different versions of the map; one without a ceiling if a build height limit can be set, and one with a ceiling and lighting if a height limit cannot be set.

Olix

Reaction score
Downloaded the map, Looks good, maybe add some ladders/enderpearls into some chests to let hunters/survivors get up and down easily.
There are ladders in some chests, but the main point is for huntes to be building to infiltrate bases (or just following the built staircase). Enderpearls won't help the situation at all, for with them it will be extremely easy for survivors to run from their base at the last minute. Once a survivor is in his base, he should stay in it for the duration of the round (unless he manages to run down his own staircase ;)).

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
I like the concept but I think it needs some work. As it stands this is a rather small map with some wool to build with. I think a nice addition would be adding tnt (with tnt damage off) and dispensers along with redstone and pistons so that survivors can make some traps for their forts with splash potions and such.

Olix

Reaction score
I like the concept but I think it needs some work. As it stands this is a rather small map with some wool to build with. I think a nice addition would be adding tnt (with tnt damage off) and dispensers along with redstone and pistons so that survivors can make some traps for their forts with splash potions and such.

Thanks for the great idea!
Map Changes
-Lowered bedrock enforced ceiling
-Made walls two block thick to allow hidden wiring
-Added chests around spawn containing sticky pistons, redstone torches, redstone dust, wooden pressure plates, repeaters, and levers.
-Removed ladders from a chest (now there are only vines)

We also decided that the map itself is more enjoyable with a ceiling, so the downloads have been updated accordingly.

Xilo27

Reaction score
maybe add some lava? not sreu if it will be op, but it could be cool. And also firecharges to the dispensers.
Danni - in the kits the Lava Griefer (Dark Hunter) has a lava bucket =) As for any more lava than that though, it'd just become too overpowered, and encourage survivors making themselves inaccessible, so we'll leave it at that. About dispensers, we didn't want to add any splash potions, as all the negative effects (slow, harm, and poison) would just distract from the overall intent of the map. Fire charges are right out. Yet, arrows could lead to some annoying little traps, so I think we'll just put a few of those with dispensers in the kits for good measure.

Olix

Reaction score
As I think about it I would love to see this map with 1 or 2 stacks for each color
The reason we didn't simply give survivors all of the needed materials in kits is because of certain kit glitches. We weren't willing to trust vital map functions to kits because if the kits glitch out and one person doesn't get anything, the map is essentially ruined for them. We wanted to put an excess amount of materials in the chests simply to avoid meanies that steal all the supplies. With the map ceiling in it's current position (forts will only take about 30 seconds to climb) giant sky pillars will not be an issue.

Also, if you are going to rate the original post "dumb", please explain why with a comment. We want to know how it can be improved!

Olix

Reaction score
Olix
This would make it better and less chaotic
Constructionboy and WiiGoGetter, thanks for your input, but we feel that having too many blocks really wouldn't be a problem.

The ceiling prevents them from staircasing, so bases will end up working well if they're designed well, not if a survivor used a massive amount of blocks.

Most importantly, though, we're just worried someone would go around and take all the wool - making the map not fun for others that don't get any supplies.

This could only be moderated in two ways - as far as we can see:
1: Having an op or other players warning everyone to only take 2 or three stacks, then punishing anyone that takes more - leading to tons of arguments and just simply not having fun
2: Loading the chests full of massive amounts of wool.

We don't want to put the wool in the kits to prevent those kits appearing on the next map as they do sometimes (just imagine abyss or grand library where everyone starts with 128 wool), so we're thinking that loading the chests stuffed full is the best way to go. There still is every color of wool available to give people options too, don't worry, but this should simply prevent hassle.

Also, CB, you don't need to tag me in my own thread ;) I am watching the thread, and I check it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.