Bringing the +1 voting on applications to come back.

Gasy_Europeon

SURVIIIIVVVVVVOOOOOOORRRRRR
Reaction score
So basically, the thread is suggesting what the title says. Bring the +1 voting back.
I suggested this because the ops+ would vote on the applications, and would say what would they think of the player, cause the 'Apply and your on trial' basically means you're a zombie trusted, because rarely players get demoted while on trial, (even though one failed trial not long ago).

So, this would work like this:
The player who would apply would need +5 positive votes from ops+ and he would be accepted, but would only need -3 votes to be denied. And maybe the ops+ that referenced him would not give him +1 votes, but would say positive things about him for the other ops to think about their decision.

And if an applicant we're to get 3 -1's, maybe he would wait another month before applying.

Any more idea's to this would be appreciated, as well as positive feedback. :)

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
I think this could be a good or bad thing.

The system is reasonably sound as it is, but both times I have applied for trusted, I would have liked to see the ops opinions on what I could improve on. However, if a op gives a negative the player applying may get angry at them/start an argument(though that kind of player would not be ready for trusted anyway)

Right, so the basic point I was trying to make was that it would be a good or bad thing. At the minute, trusted applications are being accepted most of the time if they have the five refs, but that is not neccessarily a problem.

Personally, I think it would be good, however it would take longer for trusted applications to be accepted/denied, and some may not be at all due to lack of response.

Good idea gassy, thanks for the suggestion ;D

L

Later_Gator

...if a op gives a negative the player applying may get angry at them/start an argument
(though that kind of [?]...
Then, that player definitely isn't suitable to be a Trusted. Also, your response abruptly ended?

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
Here's what I think. Say that there may be... nine ops that you would see regularly enough for them to consider referencing for trial. There would be the five referencing you, of course. But if there was only four others that had a good opinion of you, there wouldn't be enough to give you the +1s. Maybe the system could use a little tweaking, but reading the trusted apps from the premium servers and Lava make me lean towards a +1 for this idea.

c wut I did thar?

Reactions: chris360kss

dannyboymed

Without a title
Reaction score
I do miss the +1 voting on trusted applications. I feel that it was a much more community focused way of deciding on players being promoted to trusted. It encouraged operators that didn't directly have a role in referencing a player to still give their opinion on him/her.

I don't like the idea of the trial. I don't think a player that isn't good enough to be trusted should get the rank in the first place. Instead of saying "You're on trial now" when someone is accepted, I'd prefer something more along the lines of "We'll be keeping a close eye on you for the first couple of weeks, good luck". Same thing, less fuss.

• Agree
Reactions: Jowe

Gasy_Europeon

Reaction score
Here's what I think. Say that there may be... nine ops that you would see regularly enough for them to consider referencing for trial. There would be the five referencing you, of course. But if there was only four others that had a good opinion of you, there wouldn't be enough to give you the +1s. Maybe the system could use a little tweaking, but reading the trusted apps from the premium servers and Lava make me lean towards a +1 for this idea.

c wut I did thar?
There are eventually ops+ that you don't see much and are on irc, they could check their logs and see your behaviour. :)

• Informative
Reactions: HarmakAnna

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
This reminds me of how I weaseled my way into Zombie and Lava before both changed how Trusted Applications worked. Good times... good times.. :3

This was part of the reason why I wanted to be an Op long ago and far away, though. Then they changed it just as I got Op and it irritated me.

Anyway, the problem with this is it's literally a matter of time whether you get accepted or not.
Say he's got +4 and -2, needs 5 to be accepted, needs 3 to be denied.
Now it's just a matter of who's gonna give him what first.

If I may add onto what dannyboymed said above, about trials. It's not that hard to play hero long enough to be a full trusted, then abuse.

• Agree
Reactions: Jayfeather

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Alright, my opinion on this. I was the first one to bring a suggestion to change that older system. MY reasons being for one I like to think of it as more professional. If say I was applying and people didn't find me ready for whatever reason, I didn't want to world to know that. It seemed very much biased when we did it this way because players we liked got 15 +1's and people that weren't so liked would receive 4 or 5. It made things seem more like a popularity contest than a professional application. In job interviews you don't see managers all writing their approval and posting the person's app in the front of a store.

And against your point saying you don't like the current system. We haven't had nearly as many issues as we have had normal trusted. I am not sure on the number of trusteds that have failed since we changed to this new method but I see no reason to restrict the amount of people who are willing to help the server from getting to at least trusted. Where we have ops to make sure they do their job. On top of that if they aren't ready then instead of changing the process you need to start thinking about getting ops to NOT REFERENCE if they do not think a player is ready. References are supposed to be our way of seeing if they are ready for trusted. Not...NOT the app.

Gasy_Europeon

Reaction score
Alright, my opinion on this. I was the first one to bring a suggestion to change that older system. MY reasons being for one I like to think of it as more professional. If say I was applying and people didn't find me ready for whatever reason, I didn't want to world to know that. It seemed very much biased when we did it this way because players we liked got 15 +1's and people that weren't so liked would receive 4 or 5. It made things seem more like a popularity contest than a professional application. In job interviews you don't see managers all writing their approval and posting the person app in the front of a store.

And against your point saying you don't like the current system. We haven't had nearly as many issues as we have had normal trusted. I am not sure on the number of trusteds that have failed since we changed to this new method but I see no reason to restrict the amount of people who are willing to help the server from getting to at least trusted. Where we have ops to make sure they do their job. On top of that if they aren't ready then instead of changing the process you need to start thinking about getting ops to NOT REFERENCE if they do not think a player is ready. References are supposed to be our way of seeing if they are ready for trusted. Not...NOT the app.
Well, I either prefer this system, or the zombie trusted voting we used to have where if one were to get denied or accepted, the reasons could get published, but not saying who wrote them.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
One of the reasons that we switched to this system was that a lot players found it unfair that they live in a timezone in which not many staff members are online. You now have the choice between 'this trial-trusted is doing fine' (by not doing anything) or 'this trial-trusted is NOT doing fine' (by filling out a complain form) which sound pretty reasonable to me. If a trusted abuses it after his trial he can still always be demoted.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
If I may add onto what dannyboymed said above, about trials. It's not that hard to play hero long enough to be a full trusted, then abuse.
This is true no matter which system of promotion we use, and so not really relevant to the argument.

Also, @Operators http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/trusted-veto-form.6748/

When a person fails the trial the reasons are sent to them so they can improve themselves for future attempts.

Txboy1234

Reaction score
I honestly would of liked to hear other op+ comment on my Application thread to hear what they honestly think about me. I don't like to ask someone directly how they think I have done. I like the idea alot.