Bind Player Block Limits to Maps

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
This would set the human and (Maybe Zombie? Human is the one that would have the most impact) block limits to be able to be changed on a map-by-map basis.
Uses: Allow creators to be able to set personal limits to their maps, with amounts that would be flexible to each map.
Runner maps could have a 0 block limit to both humans and zombies as an alternative to op_air.
Old maps (E.X.Junglecraze, Domezone) could have higher limits than normal for nostalgia and gameplay purposes.

Pros
-Allows another factor to work toward desired win ratios for humans and zombies.
-Map size can be accounted for with the block limits, setting them higher or lower on the desired map sizes.
-It is another thing for map creators to put in with their submissions with desired ones.
-It is a system that is able to be adjusted on-the-fly(Like setting physics for maps) and if one option does not work, try another.

Cons
-An indicator would make things clearer, would need a creative way to show at the beginning of the map how many blocks humans get.
-It would initally take some work to set the block limits for each map.

The end result would be a flexible system that is able to be adjusted on the fly to help balance out maps.

Credit goes to JtTorso for prompting the idea from a statement, and encouraging me to submit it.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
Obviously the block limits were added in the first place were for the benefit, and balance of the game itself, and Honestly I don't think the idea will be added, mainly with the argument centered on the statement above.

However, I've always felt restricted on some maps, especially on the extremely large maps, with the limited blocks.
And I feel having the ability to change a map's block limit can and will add more creative hiding spots, perhaps some different styled maps that require a sort of, expanded block-system. (We can also add this to the Map-Submission form if added)

Runner maps could have a 0 block limit to both humans and zombies as an alternative to op_air.
This wouldn't work in my opinion. On runner maps, though you cannot build, we still have the WoM traps, in which many WoMMers build to get out. We won't, as operators and players, cannot catch a player as easily, so maybe we can keep it at a normal block limit for this specific example of map.
-An indicator would make things clearer, would need a creative way to show at the beginning of the map how
That could be fixed with perhaps the WoM interface that I believe TNT and Lava are currently working on / have for their respective servers, and I believe Dessern5 made a thread for a similar layout of WoM to be featured on Zombie.
-It would initally take some work to set the block limits for each map.
Will you need to code different block limits? Or can it be done in-game, with the materials at hand. I don't know much about coding and/or how the server works entirely, so I'm a bit skeptic and unsure on how this part will work out.

Again, I'm not to sure how the implementation of more blocks may effect the game and experience, as we have had the block limit for awhile now, but we may never know unless we test it, although a similar test could have been done before in the past, wether before or after the addition of the 50/3 block limit.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
Bumping this because I sort of found this while exploring the forums......
http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/map-dependent-block-limits.375/
...Mainly because it's fairly similar...

Not sure what the outcome was---
It had some positive output, but since it was about a year ago, I believe some people forgot about it, and maybe a new thread for it was needed to bring up the topic again.
I still support this idea.
And I think you and Enceladus have similar mind-sets on ideas. ;)

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
I KNEW this idea sounded somewhat familiar when I thought of it.

Regardless I don't see the idea in the already suggested ideas thread, so it's still valid. I really would like some sort of input from someone who knows the server code and knows if its possible or not.