Army of Darkness and Minecraft 1.9

How should AoD respond to 1.9 pvp changes? (Read thread first!)

• Use Minecraft 1.9 and its default combat mechanics

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Use Minecraft 1.9, but add a plugin which enables 1.8 style pvp

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Don't update to Minecraft 1.9, stay on 1.8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (reply to this thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Minecraft 1.9 has just been released, and has made a huge number of changes to combat in the game. I am confirming that AoD will very likely be updating to 1.9 in the near future, although I cannot at this time give a date. Clearly for a server which is very pvp based, any changes to the core combat system will greatly affect the game play for the server. Here is a list of the changes made:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.9#Gameplay

I have included a poll at the top of this post, giving you a chance to vote on the server's future.
Let me give a brief run-down on what each of them would mean:
  • Using the default 1.9 pvp mechanics is perhaps the simplest approach. FFA and Zombie game modes will feel different because of the sword cooldown amongst other things. Kits likely will have to be rebalanced as well.
  • Using a plugin which enables 1.8 combat mechanics would mean that game play would feel similar to how the server currently is. However, be aware that right now I don't think such a plugin actually exists, although I am very confident one will be created as many pvp servers are against the update. If no plugin like this is made and released, then tnm or myself would have to attempt to do this ourselves.
  • Leaving the server on 1.8 would likely cause a lot of problems for the server. Firstly, when the other minecraft servers update to 1.9, there will likely be no system to allow 1.8 clients to connect, which would mean AoD would have to be direct connect, cutting us off from the lobby and showing our player count to be lower than it actually is. Also, it would likely mean AoD would be stuck on 1.8, potentially until the server eventually closes.
Personally, I feel like the first two options are the best, but, if enough people voted for the third option we would have to review our plans. Having the server on 1.9 also means we would be able to take advantage of new features, such as the wings and player glowing effect.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Staying completely on 1.8 is an unviable option because the server isn't doing too hot at the moment and we still need to grow a lot, which is impossible without keeping up with MC versions. I think this is a chance for us, by being one of the first to provide great PvP gameplay with the new combat mechanics, it could attract new players. The ideal solution (also looking at the poll) is to use the new combat and IMO only if it seems to be a total disaster I think making a 1.8-combat plugin would be favourable.