Another Rant (sort of), a few more Suggestions

What do you agree with out of these?

• Total voters

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
(Quick note: I have created a new topic since of the vote being ineditable, and my other rant/suggestions topic has enough stuff on it as it is. The last topic can be found here and is still active.)
SirComputer is back again with a few more suggestions and another rant. Well, sort of. Today, I discuss OP towers. Look in this spoiler. How on earth do I get up there without some crack shot shooting/snowballing me down and farming kills? Hmm... It's pretty much impossible unless you somehow are MLG pro at ender pearls. Have a look at this spoiler. It is a tower build by Airkid on 747:
OP, much? In all honesty, it is way too easy to, in Airkid's case, find a chest with a ridiculous amount of leaves or use shears to grab tons of leaves, then make a tower on top of an aeroplane using the ridiculous amount of enchantment tables you find as well. And that's just 747. It's the 1 block wide thing that annoys me most. If you try to climb, when you get hit by an arrow/snowball WAY too easily, you fall off and as I said at the start of this, people like Airkid get killfarms.

Now, before we go any further, I AM NOT PICKING ON AIRKID, repeat, NOT PICKING ON AIRKID. He is just an example I screenshotted for this post. There have been towers where lots of people crowd up, shooting at you like heck. If you want another example, Solis has. You'll all know someone who has. So, do you get the message: I AM NOT PICKING ON AIRKID (or Solis in this case).

So, ways this could be cured? Well, at the most, these survivor made towers could be banned. That might be a bit extreme. A width minimum for the steps may be a good idea. You can get shot off often at full pull with arrows, and the joint knockback of rapid-thrown snowballs sucks too. Having at least a two or three width minimum for every step of the tower would be great.

And last but not least rantwise, I know towers can be conquered a lot. But that needs a lot of skill, teamwork and players. My example was with 5 players on, three of which were Survivors. There won't always be 5 players, but there can be a lot of 5 Hunters VS 13 Survivors in a tower.

Now, some suggestions:
1) Portals to the main lobby in the game hubs. Following on from my last topic suggesting a command, a portal may be good for people who aren't very good for remembering commands.
2) The rules should be clearer about what defines a tower. It is controversial what it is. Some say a spiral staircase, some say different.
3) Map spawns should be a no-PVP area to prevent spawnkilling, and you can leave it but not get back in it. This would fully eliminate spawnkilling. Being AFK without using the AFK command for like, 1 minute, could eliminate camping. This could be easily done with WorldGuard and a bit of coding.

So, that's the rant and suggestion for today folks - see you next time.
-SirComputer
(PS: Remember to vote in the vote below - it is multiple select!)

Reaction score
I like the idea of a stair width minimum. For one, it makes the resources needed to build a tower much higher, decreasing the amount of other equipment a survivor could farm/get to, which seems like a good tradeoff. Second, it makes getting hit while on a tower a slightly less instant kill for the survivor.

Map spawn wise, I think you should be given resistance V and weakness V when you first enter spawn. This effect would refresh until you move out of a short spawn zone. That way anyone who just joined is both invincible to damage and unable to deal damage, making a safe zone for people who just joined. I don't know how hard it would be to code that, but it seems reasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: snowma

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
Now, some suggestions:
1) Portals to the main lobby in the game hubs. Following on from my last topic suggesting a command, a portal may be good for people who aren't very good for remembering commands.
2) The rules should be clearer about what defines a tower. It is controversial what it is. Some say a spiral staircase, some say different.
3) Map spawns should be a no-PVP area to prevent spawnkilling, and you can leave it but not get back in it. This would fully eliminate spawnkilling. Being AFK without using the AFK command for like, 1 minute, could eliminate camping. This could be easily done with WorldGuard and a bit of coding.
1: I believe you might have to talk to Malcovent/sploorky/gmk about this one.

2: Yes I agree, the current rule for tower's is very brood and doesn't give much detail on what towers are allowed. Baker93 can you release a more in depth rule banning certain tower's?

3: I have to disagree on this. If we make spawn a no-pvp zone we will have hunter's running there for protection. We do already have a rule in place saying spawn killing isn't allowed and you can all way's report a spawn killer to an operator online at the time or post it in the player report thread.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Now, some suggestions:
1: I believe you might have to talk to Malcovent/sploorky/gmk about this one.

2: Yes I agree, the current rule for tower's is very brood and doesn't give much detail on what towers are allowed. Baker93 can you release a more in depth rule banning certain tower's?

3: I have to disagree on this. If we make spawn a no-pvp zone we will have hunter's running there for protection. We do already have a rule in place saying spawn killing isn't allowed and you can all way's report a spawn killer to an operator online at the time or post it in the player report thread.
SirComputer said:
Map spawns should be a no-PVP area to prevent spawnkilling, and you can leave it but not get back in it.

Reactions: Friendy
Reaction score
I said this for the player made towers thread but the survivors could make a bridge where they can use projectiles to attack hunters so we should ban all player made structures.
The rules should be more clearer, give more definitions on some words commonly used in the server like towers, spawn killing and the tutorial should have an example of an illegal spot and rule 9 should have some examples like don't kill someone's tamed animal or teamkill someone.
The spawn protection area (the one where you can't walk back into), would it protect the survivors after the build time and should there be a rule about it?
There should be a portal back to the lobby because there are usually one or more new players who aren't sure how to play onto the other servers.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
SirComputer said:
Map spawns should be a no-PVP area to prevent spawnkilling, and you can leave it but not get back in it.
We do already have a rule in place saying spawn killing isn't allowed and you can all way's report a spawn killer to an operator online at the time or post it in the player report thread.

And sometimes there is no operators to report them to; before you suggest the report thread, it is incredibly annoying having an avid spawn-killer constantly spawn-killing you for countless rounds/hours until an operator finally checks the thread/becomes available. I for one support the idea.

• Agree
Reactions: SirComputer

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be wary of adding more rules, one thing may be annoying but trying to make the rules increasingly more compelx to "improve gameplay" can confuse and upset some players.

Personally i also think trying to change the mechanics to supplement a lack of operators is a bit of a silly move, it might be better to focus on why there are no staff online rather than try to design the game to be playable without staff online (again, in my respective opinion).

Take this with a pinch of salt as i only play AoD once in a blue moon.