Allow all players to use /hawk tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFurion101

Nostalgic
Reaction score
I remember back when Aya was HC it was available to all players. Maybe it should be Builder+? Anyway, I have no problem with it as long as it's only /hawk tool. Other hawk commands can be dangerous.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
If every player had access to hawk, how would we (the staff) know when there is grief? Players may end up taking it into their own hands and fixing the grief instead of telling us so that we can ban if necessary.

It is not a necessity for players to have /hawk; if players believe that their creation has been griefed, even if it is 1 block, then they can always ping staff members. If none are available then a forum PM would work too :)

Why don't you suggest this on SMP? after all, what makes it any different to this server if users are allowed to /hawk grief?

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I have to agree with Angel here - players might fix the grief themselves and thus the griefer goes unpunished. However, what I think we should have is a support ticket system akin to Primordia - Builders+ should be able to file support tickets with co-ordinates of a grief for staff to check out.

omgitsathong

PinWheels
Reaction score
Even though I am unfamiliar with how the build server runs, I believe there's no harm if they can just be able to see who griefed what.It's the same as /about on classic servers I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong here). I personally think it'd be a useful command.

Players who are very new tend to have no interest in reporting but rather just playing to build, usually fix the grief themselves, or just leave altogether.

Players who are already familiar with the server and usually come on are the ones that report if something is up.
They could fix their structures if it's a fixable amount of grief and then report the names to the staff to take action.

But either ways, having this available to all players isn't a necessity, but I don't think there is really a downside to having this be allowed for all players as well.

About the small amount of grief (1 or 2 blocks), it usually tends to be an accident, so I don't think that it's necessary to ping staff over that, but then again, that's just me and my less than average familiarization with the build server.

TL;DR : If the command limit was changed or not, it'll still be the same result in the end. For me, it seems less likely that new players who are new to minecraft would even use the "/hawk" command in the first place, but the common players would attempt to fix the grief, check who griefed it, and then they would ping staff with the same information, but with names as well (additional information, easier on the ops). If they can't fix the grief, they would still ping the staff.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
If it's Builder+, then they should be able to know to ping an OP when appropriate. I'd assume if you promoted a Builder, they'd know grief was illegal. As well, you say they'll fix the grief themselves. Players already do that. We don't want to have to grab an OP for a small 5 block grief, or for a sign placed. We're on Buildbox to build, not to try to ban every single player who griefs our structure.

So, while players may fix grief themselves, giving them this tool won't increase it much, if at all. How will them knowing who did the grief make them more likely to fix it? If anything, they'll be able to take screenshots and show an OP before they fix it.

Why don't you suggest this on SMP? after all, what makes it any different to this server if users are allowed to /hawk grief?
Because /hawk tool shows if players stole from a chest, used a door, said something, built a structure (some players prefer to be anonymous while building), etc. So, several reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: Hunter and Duffie

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
If it's Builder+, then they should be able to know to ping an OP when appropriate. I'd assume if you promoted a Builder, they'd know grief was illegal. As well, you say they'll fix the grief themselves. Players already do that. We don't want to have to grab an OP for a small 5 block grief, or for a sign placed. We're on Buildbox to build, not to try to ban every single player who griefs our structure.

So, while players may fix grief themselves, giving them this tool won't increase it much, if at all. How will them knowing who did the grief make them more likely to fix it? If anything, they'll be able to take screenshots and show an OP before they fix it.

Because /hawk tool shows if players stole from a chest, used a door, said something, built a structure (some players prefer to be anonymous while building), etc. So, several reasons.
And who says users wont just /hawk every build they see if a user wanted to stay anonymous on BuildBox? A user is promoted to Builder if we believe we can trust them with World Edit. That doesn't mean they know what to do when there is grief.

Users can easily just fix the grief already even if it a 1 block edit, and then later on if an Op comes on and asks if anything is ok they can just say "Hey I found a block removed could you check it out"; we would then check if they've modified any other blocks that do not belong to them. It doesn't matter whether it is 1 block or 1,000 blocks, grief is still grief, and a user could be trying to troll by modifying 1 block of several creations.

In all honesty, a ticket system would be much more appropriate for the server rather than changing something that isn't even needed. A ticket system would allow users to create tickets for the staff to see, without having to bother staff who may be busy.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
AngelWV
If they don't know that grief is illegal, then why are you trusting them with World Edit.

And Operators aren't always on. 9/10 times when I come online, there are no Build OPs. And I don't want to ping an OP just because someone placed a sign on my island. Or put a piece of glowstone in my water.

As well, the reason we ban griefers isn't because grief is the most vile thing on the Interweb and we must rid it all. We ban griefers because they make the players unhappy. Now, if one block is missing out of a creation, correct me if I'm wrong, a player isn't going to go into tears or into a rage. He'll simply replace the block. Chances are, he's not even going to tell an OP. It's too little to care about. The common player just wants to get on with building, not solve some Sherlock Holmes mystery about griefers. Chances are, there have been over 1000 griefs that players just fixed themselves because they want to get on with building.

When /hawk tool was allowed to all players, we had no problem with it as I recall. I find removing it from the player was the real unneeded change.

Though, a ticket system would be nice as well.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
And Operators aren't always on. 9/10 times when I come online, there are no Build OPs. And I don't want to ping an OP just because someone placed a sign on my island. Or put a piece of glowstone in my water.

As well, the reason we ban griefers isn't because grief is the most vile thing on the Interweb and we must rid it all. We ban griefers because they make the players unhappy. Now, if one block is missing out of a creation, correct me if I'm wrong, a player isn't going to go into tears or into a rage. He'll simply replace the block. Chances are, he's not even going to tell an OP. It's too little to care about. The common player just wants to get on with building, not solve some Sherlock Holmes mystery about griefers. Chances are, there have been over 1000 griefs that players just fixed themselves because they want to get on with building.
I concur. With my large wizard tower, I found several small pockets of blocks missing. I didn't really care much, or think it too big to bring in an op from being offline, so I just fixed it myself.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
AngelWV
If they don't know that grief is illegal, then why are you trusting them with World Edit.

When /hawk tool was allowed to all players, we had no problem with it as I recall. I find removing it from the player was the real unneeded change.

Though, a ticket system would be nice as well.
You've obviously not understood what I have said. Lets say that Orange_sam13 broke a block in hundreds of creations by users just to troll, If the users then replaced the block we would not even know that he is purposely griefing holes in creations

. I barely ever see you on the server, so either you come on really late/early for the staff, or you barely come on at all.

I never said that a Builder doesn't know what grief is, I said that they might not know what to do if there is grief. I honestly couldn't care less whether it is some Sherlock Homles mystery, grief is grief and should be dealt with. I'm sure on SMP, or any other server for that matter, you wouldn't just ignore random holes in users homes and just replace the blocks as that is same in this case. But depending on what happens over the course of Buildbox (Due to the complete and utter restart of BuildBox this Friday) It may not even be needed whatsoever. Users don't need to check for grief themselves, like I said before.. if they want to report a grief then they should or they can replace it and be on with there merry way.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
You've obviously not understood what I have said. Lets say that Orange_sam13 broke a block in hundreds of creations by users just to troll, If the users then replaced the block we would not even know that he is purposely griefing holes in creations

. I barely ever see you on the server, so either you come on really late/early for the staff, or you barely come on at all.

I never said that a Builder doesn't know what grief is, I said that they might not know what to do if there is grief. I honestly couldn't care less whether it is some Sherlock Homles mystery, grief is grief and should be dealt with. I'm sure on SMP, or any other server for that matter, you wouldn't just ignore random holes in users homes and just replace the blocks as that is same in this case. But depending on what happens over the course of Buildbox (Due to the complete and utter restart of BuildBox this Friday) It may not even be needed whatsoever. Users don't need to check for grief themselves, like I said before.. if they want to report a grief then they should or they can replace it and be on with there merry way.
We already do replace these blocks without telling staff. Lots of players probably just put the blocks back, like Duffie said. What difference does it make if we can use /hawk tool? Can't we just tell you guys anyways?

I come on really late.

This is not SMP. Stop comparing it to SMP. In SMP grief means raiding, stealing materials, and etc. 1 block can mean several hours of work undone as diamonds are stolen. In BB 1 block means you just have to place the block back. So stop comparing the two, they are different, which is why we have different servers and server rules. The reason players should have the /hawk tool is that we don't need to have to ping an OP for every tiny little thing. If we did, we'd spend more time dealing with grief than building. The majority of us are mature enough to deal with the little things ourselves, and leave the big things to OPs. Otherwise, you wouldn't entrust us with WE, as we aren't mature enough to have it.

Why should grief be dealt with? To keep the builders on the server happy. OPs are there to keep order and make sure the players are happy and enjoying the server. Not to ban all griefers.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
We already do replace these blocks without telling staff. Lots of players probably just put the blocks back, like Duffie said. What difference does it make if we can use /hawk tool? Can't we just tell you guys anyways?

I come on really late.

This is not SMP. Stop comparing it to SMP. In SMP grief means raiding, stealing materials, and etc. 1 block can mean several hours of work undone as diamonds are stolen. In BB 1 block means you just have to place the block back. So stop comparing the two, they are different, which is why we have different servers and server rules. The reason players should have the /hawk tool is that we don't need to have to ping an OP for every tiny little thing. If we did, we'd spend more time dealing with grief than building. The majority of us are mature enough to deal with the little things ourselves, and leave the big things to OPs. Otherwise, you wouldn't entrust us with WE, as we aren't mature enough to have it.

Why should grief be dealt with? To keep the builders on the server happy. OPs are there to keep order and make sure the players are happy and enjoying the server. Not to ban all griefers.
Users don't need to check for grief themselves, like I said before.. if they want to report a grief then they should or they can replace it and be on with there merry way.

• Dislike
Reactions: DarthLego5679

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
AngelWV Why not? What cons come with users being able to check if some random stranger griefed their structure, or maybe it was a friend who was trying to fix something?
Users may want to create secret builds/anonymous builds, a suggestion doesn't need cons to be denied though. I could suggest a plugin that may add an easier way to grab blocks (I.E Stone instead of Cobble when block-picking), but that isn't a necessity and doesn't *have* to be added.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Users may want to create secret builds/anonymous builds, a suggestion doesn't need cons to be denied though. I could suggest a plugin that may add an easier way to grab blocks (I.E Stone instead of Cobble when block-picking), but that isn't a necessity and doesn't *have* to be added.
There's no real reason to have anonymous builds unless it breaks the rules .-.

And if it has lots of Pros, and no Cons, then one should add it. No reason not to, and it helps. The only reason a person wouldn't want to is because they are afraid of change -_-

(also that block-picking plug-in actually sounds like a good idea)

Matty

Placid Prospector
Donor
Mafia Host
Discord Staff
Reaction score
I myself am in favor of this idea, and believe that it should be Builder+

Pros:
  • Players can see if someone was editing their build without permission
  • Players can see who built something they like
  • It's just fun to play around with and look at block edits
Cons:
  • If a player finds grief on their own build they will try to take it into their own hands to punish the person who did this. (There are easy ways to avoid this)
with the following circumstances;

Do:
  • Allow the use of /hawk tool
  • Give the users set rules for if they find grief
  • Punish users who abuse hawk tool
Don't:
  • Allow the use of /hawk rollback
  • Allow the use of /hawk search
  • Allow the use of the webui
Sidenote:
Angel, why the hell are you criticizing playtime, when you yourself are never on the server?

• Agree
Reactions: Jubjubers
Status
Not open for further replies.