About Stealing in Smp

Wyrer

Rooster
Donor
Reaction score
As all of you know, griefing is not allowed on smp, and currently the most effective way to "lock" chests is to place a block over them, like so :

However, all of you thieves out there (not me personally) may feel a little discouraged by everyone blocking their chests. So I believe I have a legal solution to this issue, pistons:

As far as I know, this doesn't break the no griefing rule, and will make things a little easier on thieves and provide an interesting challenge for players as well.

I'd be interested to hear some feedback from players and admins, to see if this seems fair to them.

EDIT: Seems this way is breaking the greifing rule after all. I'd still be interesting in hearing some other suggestions to how chests could be accessed

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
You're putting that piston and touching their property, therefore illegal.

If there's a 2x1 opening somewhere, feel free to fit the piston in that window and make a free floating structure all the way into their base to the chest you want WITHOUT touching anything belonging to them and then proceed to put the piston on the free floating structure WITHOUT your blocks touching the victim's blocks.

IamGreg07

Reaction score
Ignoring the effect it would have on raids, people would end up thinking of ways to combat this idea, for example, hiding chests completely from sight, using blocks that can't be moved by pistons on them or leaving you no space to put a piston.

(Although I do think allowing the idea that raiders just rely on the owner forgetting to cover their chest creates a healthy raiding equalibrium, considering you also get items when you kill a person)

• Agree
Reactions: Knight365 and Dlmt3

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
Nevermind. It was considered griefing.

The idea of using a hoe to tilt dirt to make it farmland, which is a transparent block, allows you to access the chest below.

Although sadly I found out just moments later after the brainwave that it's illegal. :((((

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
However, all of you thieves out there (not me personally) may feel a little discouraged by everyone blocking their chests.
I am a thief, and I support chest blocking, and unable to get inside them.

It makes people think, especially when their stuff has been stolen. They'll think twice when leaving their chests unlocked next time.

And I've found several stucks of iron, gold, stone, and coal in furnaces already. :D

MetalGearSolis

That kid with the avatar
Reaction score
Also There should be Anti-Xray blocked. I was raided from my hidden chest only found in xray (well not for me since i made it) and that person had raided, griefed, and hacked to get into peoples chests.

Zepharn

Reaction score
Just a question, why don't we say, like in Primordia, that chests have to be reachable. I'm not a thief, but how should someone who is a thief do his job, when everything is locked (and I haven't seen many unlocked chests so far...) People would become creative to hide their chests, and placing dirt blocks on chests is not quite...aesthetic.

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
Just a question, why don't we say, like in Primordia, that chests have to be reachable. I'm not a thief, but how should someone who is a thief do his job, when everything is locked (and I haven't seen many unlocked chests so far...) People would become creative to hide their chests, and placing dirt blocks on chests is not quite...aesthetic.
I agree but at the same time I do realize that this will not pass.

boredchicka

Texan
Reaction score
I've thought about this as well. Put yourself in an OPs shoes for a second, it was hell. The only thing we ended up ever doing was listening to people complain about it, and try to find out if chests were legal or not. That's all we ever did. From a player standpoint it was awesome, and I loved it. There just isn't a good way to go about it.

Also, from the looks of it, I think we are trying to cut down on the amount of rules this server has.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Though it'd be great, it'd be impossible to have every chest legal. In Primordia, it was a pain to find illegal chests. And if you downloaded the map and checked around, you'd find that there were still hundreds of illegal chests that were hidden beyond reach.

Zepharn

Reaction score
Why do I get quoted so often? xD

Well, yeah, it would depend on how mature the player behave, sadly, there are still some bit egocentric ones out there, and in here. Or just some people who love their property too much.

-In a better world...~

Reactions: boredchicka

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
I think it is good the way it is (block on chest means locked) plain and simple. Get too complicated and people will become confused and fall back onto this simple rule we have now and they would get raided or punished for something they did not understand.

• Agree
Reactions: Duffie