A letter from my past (FutureMe.org)

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Today, I received an email from my past. More specifically, an email dated April 10th, 2013, nearly four years ago.

It was originally sent to September 13th, 2016 (my 18th birthday) however I never received it because the email was a stupid one I'd been using since I was 10 and one I stopped using when I started taking myself seriously and realising that an email with the word spongebob in it was never going let me get a job. I also had sent one to my dad addressed to April 10th, 2016, which he received while we were in Johannesburg. It suddenly hit me today that dad had received his email but I'd never received mine and I knew it was unlikely I'd send one to him and not me. So, I visited the site today, guessed the password that I'd probably have used in 2013, and found the email. I changed the delivery address to a new email and it sent straight away since it was 5 months overdue.

This was it here:

Dear FutureMe,

Well, congratulations on making it to your 16th birthday. Awesome! So, what's the weather like on September 13th, 2016, in ******? I'm surprised you still kept this e-mail address. You've had it since 2008. That's 8 years ago, for you! =o It's only 5 years ago for me though. Well, I had better go. I've got a meeting to go to. Homework to do, French to practice, etc.

See ya!
From PastMe. (Liam)

This isn't the whole email, but some of it I had to omit for personal reasons, like my town. Now that I read this, I'm really annoyed at myself for not writing more. I've waited nearly four years for this and that's all I could say to myself? No emotional stuff? Nothing about how I feel about things? I was 14 years old, there was bound to be something on my mind. I figured it'd be fun to reply to this, inspired by this YouTube video here, easily one of my favourites:

And here's my reply to my letter:

Dear FutureMe,

Well, congratulations on making it "Hang on - "making it"? What is that supposed to mean? You must have low expectations of yourself if the only thing you can think of congratulating yourself for is not dying yet."

to your 16th birthday. "... 2016-1998=18. So far, all I'm getting out of this email is a reminder that you sucked at maths."

Awesome! So, what's the weather like on September 13th, 2016, in ******? "Well I wouldn't know what the weather was like in ****** because not only was that nearly 6 months ago, but I wasn't even in ****** on that date. Or New Zealand, actually. Try Africa. If you want to know what the weather was like where I was, I can probably guess it was around 35 degrees with 5% humidity, with a chance of heatstroke."

I'm surprised you still kept this e-mail address. "I didn't, and I never would've got this email except that dad actually got his."

You've had it since 2008. "Yeah, that's why I didn't keep it. You should have had warning bells going off in your head. I like how it didn't enter your mind at all that I might have dropped an email like 'spongebobtheopants@gmail.com' by my 18th birthday."

That's 8 years ago, for you! =o "9, actually. It's 2017 now. Would've been 8, had you considered not sending it to flamin' spongebobloserpants@10yearsold.com"

It's only 5 years ago for me though. "Correct."

Well, I had better go. I've got a meeting to go to. "A meeting? You're 14 years old lol."

Homework to do, "Good good. Keep that up. Work hard at school, all that jazz. You'll do ok this year, not as good as last year though. You'll suck next year and basically fail maths and Mum and Dad will ask what is going on. Don't worry, you'll do way better in 2015 and win lots of prizes."

French to practice, etc.
"Don't even bother. You'll soon realise it's the worst subject on Earth with the worst teacher on Earth and spend the second half of next year counting down the days when you can drop it."

See ya! "Bye!"

From PastMe. (Liam) "Thanks for that, would've been wondering who sent me this otherwise!"

Jokes aside, I do recommend you do this yourself, the concept is pretty cool (but please for the sake of your future self, actually write some deep stuff, don't just ask about the weather. The weather.) If you make an account like I had, you can log in and see what day you sent the messages and what day they're due to arrive. For example, I have 2 more due to be sent, one I wrote in 2014 due for delivery in 2019 (no idea what's in that, can't even remember writing it.) and another I wrote today, due for 2027. You cannot read the content or change the date once it's been sent, just the email address, which is how I managed to receive this. You don't have to make an account if you don't want to, though, you can send emails either way.

https://www.futureme.org/

I'm surprised no one has made a thread about this before, actually. Knowing my luck someone probably has and my shoddy search terms didn't cover it, ah well!

Last edited: