Feature Suggestion - A Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor

Reaction score
Website
cipbot.webs.com
Hello.

My suggestion, is quite self explanatory. What if players were rewarded with points at the ends of rounds, which they can save up to buy items from a /store.

Items could include the typical things like titles, colours e.t.c. But they could include some little perks. For example, invisibility for 30 seconds.

Does anybody else feel this would make the zombie server even more enjoyable? Or maybe it is just myself who prefers some kind of store in a zombie survival server :)

Thanks,

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of stores on servers similar in style to the Zombie Survival idea in total.
Plus, this idea has been discussed SO MANY times in the past, and have always (from what I have seen) been declined.

Anyways...
Whenever I have visited Zombie Survival servers other than our own, I've always had a massive problem distinguishing Staff from normal players. This is due to the multiple colour load-out and title capabilities aloud by the community tend to get in the way. This idea also tends to blind me when playing the game and running, as extremely multi-colored chat blocks the view and blends into specific environments, so I've had trouble seeing my movements occasionally.

It also leads to the question: How does one acquire these titles and colours in this store we have? We can't use karma. Karma is a means of score and tracks how well you perform on the server. I don't see the idea of karma being lost every time you buy something.
If we implemented a new currency system like how Lava has cookies and TNT with its points, how would we work it out?
How would players acquire it?
Should it be per Kill, or per round survived?
Would kill streaks by Zombies have any affect on the matter? (Streaks = "Dominating," "Godly," "etc.")
How would is balance out? Will eating humans be a more effective means of getting these points to spend in the shop? Or would being a human would?
Unless a system can be worked out, I do not feel that optimistic about it.

PLUS, what kinds of "power-ups," so to say, would be accessible from such a store-like system?
Would they have any extreme advantages?
Can, if a player has a large amount of points in terms of currency, cheese the system by the use of multiple power-ups?
An example, and I'm basing this off of the invisibility idea, a player can buy a good number of these power-ups, and just keep spamming it whenever the time limit runs out, and just stay like that for a good deal of the round.
This is a major flaw UNLESS the number of power-ups are limited per round, and you lessen the limit it lasts.

Additionally, Can power-ups, such as the invisibility idea EVEN BE IMPLEMENTED into the server?
If I recall correctly, any form of attempt to have a skin to make a player invisible has always ended up with a player bathed fully in white.
If we could add power-ups into special rounds, or even make special maps based around a power-up like system seems great, and I would love it as it would add another layer to the gameplay.
But again: What kinds of power-ups could even work on the server?
Maybe a double-jump or higher-jump mechanic?

But would we need to implement even MORE rules to combat and balance these power-ups? Will special maps be needed to be created around this idea just for it to work? What key would be needed to be pressed to even use the power-ups?
From my viewpoint, I just see too many holes in the idea as a hole.

Honestly, as an idea;
I do not want to see a store, bought titles, colours, or etc.
However, if possible, I love the idea of GOOD power-ups. Nothing imbalanced, but good for the gameplay, would be a good thing to spice up the server a bit.
But really, it doesn't "ADD fun or enjoyment" to the server. It's more of a time-sink. Time-sinks don't necessarily add much to your experience.
All in all: I'm not that supportive of the idea.

• Useful
Reactions: MustabearXD

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of stores on servers similar in style to the Zombie Survival idea in total.
Plus, this idea has been discussed SO MANY times in the past, and have always (from what I have seen) been declined.

Anyways...
Whenever I have visited Zombie Survival servers other than our own, I've always had a massive problem distinguishing Staff from normal players. This is due to the multiple colour load-out and title capabilities aloud by the community tend to get in the way. This idea also tends to blind me when playing the game and running, as extremely multi-colored chat blocks the view and blends into specific environments, so I've had trouble seeing my movements occasionally.

It also leads to the question: How does one acquire these titles and colours in this store we have? We can't use karma. Karma is a means of score and tracks how well you perform on the server. I don't see the idea of karma being lost every time you buy something.
If we implemented a new currency system like how Lava has cookies and TNT with its points, how would we work it out?
Would kill streaks by Zombies have any affect on the matter? (Streaks = "Dominating," "Godly," "etc.")
How would is balance out? Will eating humans be a more effective means of getting these points to spend in the shop? Or would being a human would?
Unless a system can be worked out, I do not feel that optimistic about it.

PLUS, what kinds of "power-ups," so to say, would be accessible from such a store-like system?
Would they have any extreme advantages?
Can, if a player has a large amount of points in terms of currency, cheese the system by the use of multiple power-ups?
An example, and I'm basing this off of the invisibility idea, a player can buy a good number of these power-ups, and just keep spamming it whenever the time limit runs out, and just stay like that for a good deal of the round.
This is a major flaw UNLESS the number of power-ups are limited per round, and you lessen the limit it lasts.

Additionally, Can power-ups, such as the invisibility idea EVEN BE IMPLEMENTED into the server?
If I recall correctly, any form of attempt to have a skin to make a player invisible has always ended up with a player bathed fully in white.
If we could add power-ups into special rounds, or even make special maps based around a power-up like system seems great, and I would love it as it would add another layer to the gameplay.
Maybe a double-jump or higher-jump mechanic?

But would we need to implement even MORE rules to combat and balance these power-ups? Will special maps be needed to be created around this idea just for it to work? What key would be needed to be pressed to even use the power-ups?
From my viewpoint, I just see too many holes in the idea as a hole.

Honestly, as an idea;
I do not want to see a store, bought titles, colours, or etc.
However, if possible, I love the idea of GOOD power-ups. Nothing imbalanced, but good for the gameplay, would be a good thing to spice up the server a bit.
But really, it doesn't "ADD fun or enjoyment" to the server. It's more of a time-sink. Time-sinks don't necessarily add much to your experience.
too many words

Jeff0521

OPtimistic
Reaction score
No no no. Horrible idea. Well, it's a good idea. But not for Zombie Survival. The ability to have invincibility is just inZAYN (Insane). And I actually like how there aren't colors all over the server. I've been on other Zombie servers where people can buy colors and titles, and it's just so tacky. It looks horrible.

It's just my opinion. I really hate the idea of a store.

JKangaroo

Reaction score
I love the store idea with names and colors and stuff, The only think I dont like is the invisibilty, Seems kinda unfair to me, Instead of Invisibilty, How about A dis infect, where you can buy in the store and it makes you human again.
No.
That's extremely overpowered, and goes along the idea of players cheesing the gameplay.
How would it be restricted?
We can't just let players use such a thing, even if it was VERY expensive.
Perhaps, once per 10 rounds? Doesn't seem worth it or a very fair restriction.
Players could abuse it by using it right at the end of the round to win that specific round. You can't restrict or prevent that.

Plus, it comes in conflict with power-pill rounds. Would it turn you into a zombie even though Humans is the default player who is supposed to run away from the Zombies?

That idea seems really abusive otherwise, and honestly, I find it ruining the meaning behind "Zombie Survival." What need is there to survive when you can just use some kind of power-up to return yourself to a human in a better position where you won't be killed?

JKangaroo

Reaction score
I like the idea of title's and colors. You could relate that to AoD they have titles to buy, but invisibility and other elements that affect gameplay should not be add or the new players would not have a chance.
If done incorrectly, it could.
But done correctly, you get a beautiful experience. ;)

Conor

Reaction score
Website
cipbot.webs.com
Well that was a nice read! I will try my best to answer some of your questions.

First of all, I see exactly what you mean with the title and colours, many people don't like the fact that staff cannot be distinguished from other players, and the group-related colours become a whole lot more unrelated. Although others don't really mind, I myself am one of those people.

You could design the rewards system in multiple ways. The most common method across the board of zombie survival servers is to be rewarded when you survive a round. Ranging from complex algorithms to simple if/else queries, it is possible to modify the reward based on factors such as map size, round length, total survivors left, total round players. For example, a short round on a huge map with 7 survivors - minimal rewards. Be the last one alive on a small map with a long round length? That is where the jackpot is at. You can also implement kill streak rewards so the zombies aren't ultimately left out of the situation.

Yes, it is very simple. You don't need a skin, you just take the player from the server (don't send players their position/appearance). This is what happens when you /hide. A timer could be made to last 30 seconds, once up, the player becomes visible again to everybody surrounding them.

There are infinite ideas awaiting to be found. Lets think of some right now;

Invisibility - 30 seconds.
Invincibility to infection - 30 seconds.
A pillar-block - Place a block which forms a pillar to the top of the map - you spawn on the top.
A gun - You could purchase bullets for the gun. If you are human and shoot zombies, it sends them to spawn.
A grapple - Zombies could grapple a human to get them closer.
A random teleport - When purchased the player could use a command to teleport themself to a random passable X Y and Z in the map (air/water blocks).
Flying Platform - Could allow a player to use for 10 seconds, but allow all players to see their platform, so hacks cannot be mistaken for.

These are just some ideas for power ups, there are hundreds you could think of and implement.

a player can buy a good number of these power-ups, and just keep spamming it whenever the time limit runs out
Very easily combated with restrictions on items, and the prices they are set at. I'll take two examples.

Life - A life could only be purchased once in a round. It would be un-purchasable after the point in time where there is 2-3 minutes remaining for the round.

Gun - Bullets for the gun could be very expensive. Only a maximum of 10 bullets could be used in a round. A command (/allowguns) can enable/disable the usage of them if staff think they are abused.

I respect your opinion, many people would agree with you. But think of the benefits of a well-designed store and put them next to some disadvantages, which way does the scale go? That is something your community's developers/owners would have to think about if you were to take this idea and go forth with it. Personally I think a store would give players even more of an incentive and make the game even more enjoyable than it already is.
;)

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Even tough it sounds all nice and stuff, all those things could ruin the gameplay completely.
The "power-ups" should be something simple, that can help you yet hardly give much advantage.
Something like getting 1 or 2 extra blocks in a round as a zombie, or 5 blocks as a human.

And as said, colors and titles could make the chat look like crazy. But we already have much titles on people atm, and I dont think it hurts to make titles a reward. Colors should be staff-only tough.

I think a store could be a good idea, if it doesnt change too much about the game.

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
I'm for a shop but I'm against power ups.
The store I'm thinking about should have ranks like on AoD. Say you get 100 points for a survive 20 points for an infection or something. Then extra for getting on the top 5 for the end of the round.
You can use these points to buy the first rank at 5,000 points or something. Then each rank gets higher. The last rank you can CHOSE your title.

Guys think about it. Players want something to achieve and show of in games. We have karma which works for our frequent players but new players want something to show off so that's why there's the "can I have a title?" That's when an op can say "use /ranks and earn points by surviving and infecting people!"

Thats my idea, so yeah.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
The only thing I see useful for titles and color would be custom titles or colors for contest/competition winners. This because of previous stated points that it gets messy and confusing with too many. And these custom titles/colors would only last until say... the next competition. For that to happen anybody with a random title would need it to be removed for it to be a suitable prize. Maybe even a prize as a custom zombie skin for a week or two.

I know what I have said isn't directly related to a store but those are also the only real rewards I can see the zombie server having with these features.

As for invis/invinc/cure, I agree with the fact that they would break the game play for classic zombie survival.

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
Guys let's think about this for a second; even if you're against a store, have you seen the number of players on the server lately? What, always sitting around 5-15? If you think about it, we might have to swallow our pride and produce something that could generate more players (i.e. a store).

Just something to think about instead of immediately screaming NO!

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I agree that we should add new, exciting things to the server, and that's why I am considering adding those player ranks. I don't think a real store/currency is a good way to get more players, because it will probably mess up the gameplay which can make people leave. All suggestions are appreciated, so if you have ideas, don't be afraid to post them.

• Agree
Reactions: Chillingworth

Conor

Reaction score
Website
cipbot.webs.com
If you guys are talking about buying ranks from a 'store' as such - I have a little suggestion, you could bind the price of the rank with a time limit and/or rounds played/survived. For example, you could say, you need 100 points, 50 rounds played, and 20 rounds survived to buy this rank. That could be interesting!

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
If you guys are talking about buying ranks from a 'store' as such - I have a little suggestion, you could bind the price of the rank with a time limit and/or rounds played/survived. For example, you could say, you need 100 points, 50 rounds played, and 20 rounds survived to buy this rank. That could be interesting!
That's a good idea :D

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
This kid I like this kid.

Anyways I think a system like this would be worthwhile and would be great for the server!

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
For me personally when I first joined Zombie survival it was just a simple game of tag with no store and nothing that is what caught my attention because it was different from Lava or TNT or SMP or CMP at the time.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still attention getting but adding a store isn't going to make the game any different from the other servers and that is what gets people because they don't have points to use or ask how much is what in the store or how to access it, sure its an interesting feature.

But if it was just a title store? Meh, I have a fear that people will just keep asking how to get a title or how to get points, some people already have frustrations from playing this game because they aren't good, sure having a goal and trying to get points just to buy a title and then just never return because they got what they wanted and may never return. (Don't ask me where I think of these things, let us just say college leaves me thinking.) But back to point is that having a /store would change the gameplay drastically enough to create possibly more frustrations on people, who can't possibly get a kill or survive.

Making it just a title store? It would save the Controller+ some work but then you gotta go back to my point of people not getting kills or surviving rounds to get points to use to buy a title, for frankly titles are a little pointless they are just little added things, (no offense to the staff, if you were offended by my last comment of titles being pointless I am sorry) ending my post is that Conor you have some great ideas and I fully support them but this one I tend to disagree on

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo

Sploorky

Reaction score
Replying to ZombiePineapple (Just tagging because who wants to reply to a four paragraph post)

I think, if anything, a store would keep them playing. Now, this is just my personal experience with this, but when I originally played zombie, I stopped playing because of frustration of being bad at the game. Some people are just like that. Would adding a store make them frustrated more because they can't get it's items? I don't think so. If anything, they would want to keep playing through the frustration.

And yes, titles are pretty much useless. However, they are cool looking. They are fun to have. And most importantly, they are an award to reach. People love awards. If you own an Xbox or Playstation, you've probably played a game longer than you usually would to earn that achievement or trophy. It's a fun thing to aim at, and titles(hey, maybe even (dis)connect messages also?) would be an awesome award for your skills.

And finally, anybody could get what they want and then leave. But they could also do that with the karma system implemented into the server now. And hopefully, by the time they get enough points to buy something from the store, they will already be hooked onto the gameplay ;).

In conclusion, I don't see anything wrong with the idea of a store, if all it sold was useless, but fun, little prizes.

Anyways, how I envision a store would be each item costs a certain amount of points.

Zombies would get a predetermined amount of points for every kill they get, as well as extra points for kill streaks.

Humans would get points for surviving, however the amount of points they get depends on the amount of players on the server. Surviving with 10 players on will certainly net you less points than surviving with a full server on. Humans may also get more points for surviving a hardcore round(I have very little idea how hardcore rounds work, so might need some clarification from a zombie regular).

I think selling these items would be fun:
-Titles
-Title colors(Title is white when you first buy it)
-Connect messages
-Disconnect messages

Status
Not open for further replies.