Tips on Mapmaking

W

Wimali

Tips on Mapmaking
The following tips can be helpful while creating a RoF map. Bear in mind these are just tips and don’t necessary need to be followed when building a map. If you feel like there should be some added, changed or removed, feel free to post a comment and I'll gladly edit the thread!

Terrain maps are boring, structures are the bomb.
Although I’ve personally made quite a few terrain maps in the past, there’s one thing that’s sure about them: They’re boring and dull. After only one or two rounds, the regular player has already explored most of it and are often disappointed because of it emptiness. Complex maps like Waterpit however always look amazing and have a lot of re-play value.

Create your terrain with Worldpainter.
A great program I’ve been using for most of my maps (and Butamou as well, I believe) is Worldpainter. With this third-party program you can easily create nice-looking terrain in a matter of seconds. Sure, it takes a lot of editing to make it look good/playable/realistic, but you can create the basic of your map with it. Also, it’s free! Woohoo!

Peidiwch â defnyddio enwau rhyfedd!
Although using a Japanese or Welsh name for your map may look really mysterious and fancy, it’s actually frowned upon by the higher staff. Reasons for this is because no one knows what they mean, what they’re pronounced like and hey, it just sounds weird. Don't use strange or weird-sounding names, try to keep it English!

Avoid making the map unbreakable.
I see a lot of people including a huge amount of a certain block in a map and then requesting it to be either no-break, no-place or no-drop. That’s a horrible idea: The more blocks you make like that, the less blocks players can use to build a nice house with. Avoid having no-drop, no-place and especially no-break blocks in your map to ensure maximum joy while playing.

Include enough resources to make it fun!
What I’ve seen a lot of people complain about recently is that most maps don’t have any useful items. They mostly consist of the bare minimum amount of blocks to survive: Dirt, stone, wood,… I’d suggest ALWAYS putting at least a tiny source of sand in your map to make sure people can make windows. And some clay or other materials can’t hurt, right? With the new fishing mechanics in 1.7 as well, people like to have a little lake/fishing spot.

Give them something to fight.
Maps like Rooted and Cavern have proven to be quite popular, although being some of the oldest maps on RoF. Why? Simple: They’re amazing for mobfighting. Be sure to always include at least one dark room or dark area in your map, because a lot of people love to fight mobs and farm loot/exp to kill time.

Don’t screw up on the timers.
One of the most important bits of a map is, in my opinion, the time in a round you can actually play it. There are certain maps for example on which the spawn floods like 5-15 minutes after the round starts. That’s just no fun: You’re pretty much forcing the players to AFK in a house. Also make sure to have your timers not cover a huge amount of air, or your map might lag.

Try to be creative!
“Hey, dude, let’s totally make a map.” “Okay. What kind of map should it be?” “I dunno man. Let’s just have a plains map with a weird hill on it and some random buildings.” “Yeah, sure! Great idea!”.

No.

I’ve been pretty guilty of this myself. But a fact is that a lot of maps on RoF are exactly like what I just described. Try to be original and make something RoF hasn’t seen before, or make your map seem different from the rest.

And, of course, every single thing specified in this thread. Use the format! No excessive items!

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Create your terrain with Worldpainter.
A great program I’ve been using for most of my maps (and Butamou as well, I believe) is Worldpainter. With this third-party program you can easily create nice-looking terrain in a matter of seconds. Sure, it takes a lot of editing to make it look good/playable/realistic, but you can create the basic of your map with it. Also, it’s free! Woohoo!
I do use this. I also use McEdit--Another free third party program that is really useful.

For world painter make a 128x128 world as it is the smallest, then make the terrain you want and cut it 100x100 or less to make it work with McEdit. After then you work on it by hand.

Original ideas or remakes of classic maps get the best response from the general public. If you want to make a copy or use the same theme 20 other maps have... well just hope you did it the best. Chances are you didn't ;)

• Modern
  • Dungeon
  • End/Nether
  • Floating structures (avoid a lot of air)
  • Desert
  • Swamp

Are themes that aren't widely used. Something modern like a city block, or a castle with a dungeon or something will be new, and if done right will get accepted.

Just a nice tip from your friendly neighbor spider-m--- er.. Mapmaker :)

W

Wimali

Also, here's some mapmaking-related questions answered by Dirtcake! Might come in handy.

Q: Would mob spawners be allowed in maps when they're no-break and only spawn mobs every five minutes? (you can alter that with various third-party programs like MCedit)
A: Sure, but there's probably still going to be a limit to keep it from spawning too many.

Q: Would it be possible to have a giant RoF map, which is like 1000x1000 big or something, but only have a 100x100 area on it playable? The players wouldn't be able to access the rest of the map, but still feel like they're in an "open world" and see all kinds of background things (i.e. big, tall mountains, villages etc.)
A: Absolutely, I've been wanting to see this. Make sure you have some kind of physical border so the edge of the playable map doesn't look weird.

Q: What are your opinions on maps like "LS_Kitchen" or "LS_Bedroom" (I'm not sure if those are actual maps or if the names are right, but I hope you get what I mean?). Do you think these are fitting for premium (possibly with falldamage turned off) or do you rather dislike them?
A: I'm very iffy on this one. Leaning to no, but I'd have to see the map before I could say yes or no for sure.