[Solved] Rank Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath7480

Reaction score
Recently I have made (what could be considered) a map on a plot in BuildBox which I thought would be awesome if possible if it could be featured on the Army of Darkness mini game. Of course I will need someone of high status to view it and make the decision.

However, before I even had the idea of featuring it in Army of Darkness all I really wanted was to at least get a Builder rank with it so I showed my map to an Operator called S_swimmer. I asked S_swimmer if they could decide if it's builder material or not to which they said "... However what I'm seeing right now isn't good enough for builder and it going to need to be a little more detailed and creative if you want it for builder"

S_swimmer also said it needs to be more surreal in order for me to get the builder rank.

It's sad how some people decide on their narrow interests rather than taking into account the wide arrange of things there are to be chosen from such as in this situation "realism".

So I decided I would possibly get another person of higher status may it be an Operator, Controller, Administrator or Director to decide if I can get the builder rank instead.

Here is a screenshot of the conversation:

Here is the main part of the map:

I wanted to put command blocks in so that when a person steps on a pressure plate that's on top of a command block that it would teleport them but unfortunately I don't have sufficient permissions to place command blocks.

My original idea for this concept was a room filled entirely with stone pressure plates. Some of them would teleport you back at the beginning or maybe they could teleport you inside the temple whilst the others don't do anything and in order to cross you must step on the pressure plates that don't teleport you of course all the pressure plates looking the same makes it somewhat a "leap of faith" and a "trial and error" type scenario.

Here is an image of the room I'm talking about:

I have highlighted the pressure plates that don't do anything as gold pressure plates as a brief introductory idea; of course in the finished product they won't be in the same places as they are in the picture and they'll obviously be stone pressure plates instead of gold ones.

I have basically finished the map with the exception of the pressure plate room but if I get requests to add extra stuff in, I will do so.

If any Administrators or Moderators are willing to help me out, then I would really appreciate that, thank you.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Update: I will now be progressively working on the exterior and partially on the interior design to add more detail as well as adding some more scenery such as trees, foliage, flowers, vegetation, plants, ponds and some hills as suggested by Rawrmynameisrex and S_swimmer. A massive thank you to Rawrmynameisrex and S_swimmer for the constructive criticism and suggestions on areas of improvement. This will guide me the right way and will significantly improve my build.

PS: If I'm not able to place and use command blocks could an admin be able to do it for me and is there still any chance that this can become an AoD map (when it's finished of course).

Update #2: I finished decorating the exterior and the interior. Now all that's left to do is to do the scenery.

I'm going to download World Edit as soon as I clear out enough space on my C: Drive. I'll then use World Edit to download the schematic and put it on my world in order to insert/place the command blocks in and input the teleportation commands. Then I will export it onto a file sharing website (Probably on Mega since that's the only file sharing site that I have an account on) and then I'll link it to my submission. Hopefully it all works out fine because I have never used World Edit before but I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube that will help me and teach me on how to use it.

Special thanks to Prizyms for the idea and directional instructions and for correcting me on my mistakes. I am very grateful, thank you for helping me. :)

Last edited:

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
it's interesting how if you want to make a cool map you need builder perms
but to get builder perms you need a cool map

paradox resulting in me not being able to make a proper lava classic map for that comp earlier
good luck with this, looks nice
edit: also, when taking screenshots, try pressing f1 to remove the hud if chat is unneeded

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Honestly, I feel like getting to Builder feels impossible sometimes, and it really shouldn't be. Isn't the rank up to Builder basically an introductory rank, where you are trusted to not abuse commands, and where you get the ability to use said commands?

And then Advanced Builder, if that's still around, is said to contain even more ranks, only used to the most trusted of players, as well as the more creative building of players. At this point, it should be tough to get to, I would think.

... I just feel that it's a bit too hard to get to Builder, and as the OP states, somewhat a bit too opinion-oriented.
(I also mean no offense to anyone if offense has been taken. This is just coming from my previous experiences of attempting to get Builder ever since the rank reset. I had easily gotten Builder in previous version of CMP, but I can't say the same for how it has been recently.)

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I apologize greatly, it seems that what I meant to say wasn't really portrayed in my words, which is entirely my fault (I seriously suck at communicating with others). I apologize to you if I sounded harsh and stubbornly opinionated, which, now looking back on the situation, I'm assuming I did.

The building in question appeared, to me, as if it was too big and simply didn't have enough depth and detail. Usually, for my judgments of builds, I go by what it looks like to me first, and then try to think of ways to suggest improving it. Countless times, I have been brought pagodas - this is a dilemma that has been haunting me for months. The pagodas that I see normally aren't builder worthy - but they are, indeed, the right shape. So I've always been trying to figure out how to properly figure out a way to make pagodas look better, but I've never been able to find a way. When I talked to you, lolster (or Wrath7480 I see), I thought in my head that maybe there just needed to be some detail and shape in the build that wouldn't look exactly "real." I never meant that I required surrealism for Builder, but that doesn't really matter now since the damage is done. And I do also admit that, sometimes, my own personal preferences seep slightly into my judgments of Builder builds - it's something that all of us staff try to correct, but to be honest, it's hard. However, you have made me fully aware of the completely wrong way in which I approached this situation. I apologize from the bottom of my heart for this inconvenience and I will try to be a better judge for Builder.

P. S. Would your profile picture/gif happen to be from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni by any chance?

Wrath7480

Reaction score
I apologize greatly, it seems that what I meant to say wasn't really portrayed in my words, which is entirely my fault (I seriously suck at communicating with others). I apologize to you if I sounded harsh and stubbornly opinionated, which, now looking back on the situation, I'm assuming I did.
It's okay S_swimmer. Everyone makes mistakes, even I do. I'm happy that you've realised what you said was harshly opinionated and wrong and I'm extremely thankful for your apology. I accept your apology full heartedly and I am happily obliged in doing so. There is nothing better than apologies and forgiveness, if you ask me. :)

P. S. Would your profile picture/gif happen to be from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni by any chance?
Also yes, Rena is the best. :bounce:

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: S_swimmer

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Just to clear things up. I had a chat with lolster101 (Wrath7480) about his build and gave him pointers on how to improve it. I agree with Swimmer-- that lolster's build could use a bit more work concerning details, so after I saw how big his build was, I gave him the option of just improving the exterior of the main build with details on the walls and creating landscaping with gardens and trees around it.

Also, you mentioned that you were going for a realistic style for your build, which is themed like a Buddhist temple, and I asked if you looked at reference images, in which you replied with a "No". What I'd suggest is that you look through a few reference images because Buddhist temples are colorful and ornate whereas your build lacks those features.

Feel free to ask the Buildbox staff for help.

• Thank You
Reactions: Wrath7480

Wrath7480

Reaction score
As I have said to Rawrmynameisrex I might experiment a little bit on the exterior and interior design. If it fails then I'll revert back to it's original design and stick to just looking up reference pictures.

Also this picture is coincidental and somewhat relevant:

PS: No it isn't edited aside from the red box that I put in to highlight the main topic/subject part of the picture... also spell-checkers can be weird and kind of funny sometimes.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Psycho and Notme

Wrath7480

Reaction score
I did some immense decorating on the exterior and interior design. Now all that's left to do is to do the scenery.

I'm going to download World Edit as soon as I clear out enough space on my C: Drive. I'll then use World Edit to download the schematic and put it on my world in order to insert/place the command blocks in and input the teleportation commands. Then I will export it back into BuildBox. Hopefully it all works out fine because I have never used World Edit before but I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube that will help me and teach me on how to use it.

Special thanks to Prizyms for the idea and directional instructions. I am very grateful, thank you for helping me. :)

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'll then use World Edit to download the schematic and put it on my world in order to insert/place the command blocks in and input the teleportation commands. Then I will export it back into BuildBox.
There's no need to re-export to BuildBox - if you're going submit the map, you can just upload the schematic to a file hosting site and link to that in your submission post.

• Informative

Wrath7480

Reaction score
There's no need to re-export to BuildBox - if you're going submit the map, you can just upload the schematic to a file hosting site and link to that in your submission post.
Ok I'll do that instead then. I feel so silly not knowing what to exactly do. Sorry. :facepalm:

ChocoFox

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Surrealism is something that I despise most of the time. To me it's something that's too good to be true. Personally, I like to keep my builds slanted towards a semi-impressionism state. For those of you who don't know what is realism, impressionism and surrealism, I suggest befriending Google.

As for Wrath7480 (a.k.a. lolster101), I would like to say that everyone has a different 'taste' to different things.
It's sad how some people decide on their narrow interests rather than taking into account the wide arrange of things there are to be chosen from such as in this situation "realism".
Different people have different 'point of view's for anything that has difference(s) - not to mention builds - hence every time I finish a build or something, I would ask different people with different 'tastes' to view it and give comments. Definitely I would get all sorts of reactions - I don't expect a 'wow this is great' all the time, and I usually am choosy with the comments that I think are the best for my 'taste' and improve on it.

As for you not getting builder I would say simply that it does not meet the requirements after studying screenshot you posted. I'm sure there's many Operators/Advanced Builders/Builders around, and you can ask them for a more 'realistic' kind of building advice. I'm not trying to tell you to accept everything every critic says, but you can sure look into different point of views of the build as I said above.

Talking about command blocks - I very highly doubt these will be added in. Though I personally would wishfully hope for these to be in, command blocks are too dangerous and could be exploited easily, for example summoning a zombie with a corrupted UUID could crash the server and crash it again when it's restarted. It can also be exploited to force run a console command. Hence I think the chances of these added would be 0.00000000001%, literally.

To sum everything up, I think you should improve on your build generally and slant it towards the style you feel best working with - do read the Building Guide first as it does give you a general idea of the standards of the Builder rank. Otherwise, all the best for Builder!

• Thank You

Wrath7480

Reaction score
Someone managed to get builder rank just by making this one bridge.

So why can't I get a builder rank!?

The creator of the bridge has told me that the operators who reviewed the bridge were SirComputer and S_swimmer.

Those exact operators reviewed my build but said it wasn't good enough for builder rank and said that it needed to be improved upon despite my build being a lot bigger and having even more detail than this bridge.

Don't get me wrong. I congratulated the person who made the bridge on getting the builder rank because it is indeed a very detailed nice looking bridge but the sheer fact, that my build has had at least triple the effort and detail put into it and that I still haven't got builder rank is completely disgraceful.

This is an outrage and is totally unjust. This poor treatment I have had to endure is absolutely disgusting...

There were some people that were there for me and understood me; one person even said "How have you not got builder rank yet?" to which I replied "I question that myself".

I'm entirely grateful for all the support even though I know it won't change the stubborn operators unfair and harsh opinionated views that are more based on their biased interests and preferences rather than taking into account the main factors such as detail, size, etcetera.

Also here are the pictures of my updated build as well as things and parts of my map I never showed:

Instead of the Operators, I'll let the public be the judge.

• Dislike
Reactions: SparklyMuffinz

Wrath7480

Reaction score
I finally got Builder rank!!!!!

A million thanks to Rawrmynameisrex.

At least they were fair and weren't entirely opinion orientated.

Celebration now, come on! :bounce:

• Confusing
Reactions: SparklyMuffinz

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
This is an outrage and is totally unjust. This poor treatment I have had to endure is absolutely disgusting...
I see where you're coming from and what you're saying, but you're totally wrong. If one or more of the staff feel that your build can use some improvement, then perhaps it really does? I saw your build a few times and looking it over, It still missing details that can make the build look interesting and feel unique. Also, just because it's a large build, doesn't mean that it'll get you Builder instantly. Take it this way, if you make a large build, then you're bound to have necessary details on the walls and elsewhere. If you don't have those details then things will look boring and flat.

I'm entirely grateful for all the support even though I know it won't change the stubborn operators unfair and harsh opinionated views that are more based on their biased interests and preferences rather than taking into account the main factors such as detail, size, etcetera.
I believe that the Buildbox staff do take certain things into account when looking at a player's build. And yeah, we may be harsh and opinionated, but we do make up for that by suggesting ways to improve a player's build.

A few of the main points that we look at when we judge a player's build are Depth, Detail, and Block Variation. Other things that we take into consideration are Size, Interior, and maybe Landscaping. Apparently, you didn't have much of that down the first time that S_swimmer reviewed your build. But then you added certain details after you got a few more reviews from other staff. Maybe we didn't fully explain certain things to you, and for that, I'm sorry, but I think that if we did then maybe you would understand what we're looking for in builds. And unfair? I'm certain that we don't have any bias towards players, but if you feel that way, then I'm sorry for that as well. Please understand that the Buildbox staff are there to review your builds and provide input if you fail to pass your review.

At least they were fair and weren't entirely opinion orientated.
I saw this thread and decided to drop by and re-review your build to see if you updated anything. To be honest, I still think that your build needs a few more details here and there, but hopefully you'll work on a new build and surprise us.

Also, I remember asking you before to add details on the exterior walls of your main build and that landscaping would look nice around it. You failed to provide landscaping and I hope that you work on it. Otherwise, work on improving your building skills and style.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.