[POLL] Potential New Garry's Mod Server

Which gamemodes would you play?

• Total voters

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score

Hello everyone.

So with the success of the TTT server, we are planning on opening a new Garry's Mod server if enough people want one! Whether the potential server turns out to be permanent or not is down to how popular it is, and we want to make sure it's one that a lot of people can have some fun on. This poll is to get an idea of the potential playerbase for each gamemode so that we can make an informed decision about which gamemode the new server should be, so please only vote if you intend on playing that specific gamemode, should we open up a server for it. Picking an option just because it sounds nice or because you think we ought to have that gamemode may lead us to making the wrong choice - we want to know the possible future numbers of people interested in playing each gamemode to help us make the final decision on what it will be. Please also note that just because a gamemode is the most popular it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the gamemode chosen as there are other factors to consider, but it will be a major influence on the decision.

Here is a list of the gamemodes on the poll and a basic overview of how they work, in case you've forgotten:

Prop hunt:
Hide-and-Seek type gamemode. Two teams, the Props and the guys who have to find and kill them. The Props team disguise as any prop they can see and the aim is to survive the round, whilst the other team have to try to locate and kill the props that are secretly people. Whenever someone shoots a prop that is not a person they lose health and, eventually, die. Props win by surviving for the whole round and lose if they are all killed.

Jailbreak:
Two teams, the Prisoners and the Guards. The prisoners have an option: do as the guards tell them and simply try to survive or attempt to successfully rebel and overthrow the prison. The guards keep an eye on the prisoners, make sure they're doing as their told. A Warden is assigned who is in charge of the prison and gives commands for both the guards and the prisoners. Games are played among the prisoners with the reward for winning often being to stay alive, while the losers are gunned down. Sometimes tricks are played to see which prisoners accidentally go against the warden's orders. The last prisoner alive gets a special request. The Prisoner team can win together if they manage to successfully rebel, find weapons and kill the guards.

Zombie Survival:
Two teams, the Zombies and the Survivors. The zombies must kill the survivors, whilst the survivors must survive the waves of zombies by defending themselves, buying weapons, ammo, health and building defences. Once you die, you become a zombie, and you unlock different types of zombies to become as the waves progress.

Deathrun:
Two teams, the Runners and Death. The runners must complete a series of obstacles and get to the finish to kill Death, while Death must use the traps available in the map to kill off the runners.

Bunny Hop:
Parkour-based gamemode. Players complete jump courses in the fastest time possible to reach the end.

DarkRP:
The most popular gamemode on Garry's Mod right now, DarkRP is a roleplaying gamemode. You pick a role and play it. Cop or thief, gun shop owner or hobo, hitman or free-runner. Since it's DarkRP, the roleplay explores the darker sides of life; drug dealing, killing, gang wars and robbery schemes. You can build an empire on drug money and be the next Heisenberg... or you can throw faeces at people from your cardboard box shelter as a hobo.

Surf:
Similar to Bunny Hop in that it's a very laid-back parkour-based gamemode, only instead of jumping over things, it's surfing up, down and across things at high speeds.

Hide and Seek:
Basic Hide and Seek; Hiders try not to get caught and the Seekers try to catch the Hiders!

Cinema:
More of a social hub than a gamemode, Cinema is what it sounds like: a virtual cinema where people can stream videos or films for everyone to watch.

--

Of course there are many more gamemodes out there so feel free to suggest other options down below and if it gets lots of positive ratings and people agreeing, it may also be considered.

Thanks for your input!

- Infected/Chandler

Reactions: superstein

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Any possibility it can be a mix of them, and the players online can vote what they want to play?

Like we can play surf when there are like 4 people online and then vote to do like jailbreak when more come or something?

• Agree
Reactions: Velzerat

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I would play the shit out of a prop hunt server. I have so many memories playing prop hunt with community members long ago.

I personally enjoyed the stalker gamemode, but that's not a choice :p

• Agree
Reactions: Lux

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Any possibility it can be a mix of them, and the players online can vote what they want to play?

Like we can play surf when there are like 4 people online and then vote to do like jailbreak when more come or something?
It's possible for an admin to do !map [map] [gamemode] and manually switch between maps and gamemodes but I have no experience with it so I'm not entirely sure how it would work, or if we'd be able to have separate addons installed for each gamemode loaded in on the server etc. but if it's a popular idea I could experiment and try to figure it out. To be honest I doubt it would work though.

Last edited:

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Infected_alien8_, could you add Extreme Football Throwdown to the mix?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104625632

It's a relatively small gamemode, mind you, but it's incredibly fun (and so hectic that it's hilarious) and has a lot of potential for growth. Player retention is also quite good. I'd recommend ya'll check it out. It's worth noting that there's a huge learning curve to it, but it's still a blast, nonetheless.

There's one server in particular that has even created a friggin' league for it, which I've participated in. Said league definitely made the gamemode more entertaining and challenging, so it's something to think about in addition to the gamemode if enough people are remotely interested in it.

If this gamemode gets a lot of support by people sure, it'll be considered \o/