[NEED NAMES] Renaming the community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously the most controversial issue save for closing Minecraft servers, the Idea being that we drop the Blocktopia brand and come up with a new name for the community to root behind,
Personally I'm all for it on the basis that if we're doing an overhaul, I'd like it to be a complete overhaul, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think one of the best ideas going round was to keep the name blocktopia for the minecraft subsection, while taking on a new name for the new community as a whole. I am pretty in favour for this, although ideas for the new name I wouldn't have a clue at the moment.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I think one of the best ideas going round was to keep the name blocktopia for the minecraft subsection, while taking on a new name for the new community as a whole. I am pretty in favour for this, although ideas for the new name I wouldn't have a clue at the moment.
I'm just not sure how this works out in practice,

We can label our Minecraft server group Blocktopia - but even then, the actual name of the servers would need to be {new name} Minecraft Server rather than Blocktopia Minecraft Server ~ since otherwise we're basically adding even MORE confusion by having our servers named one thing and our community named another thing.

Interested in the idea just, I'd like to see it explained how it'll work out in practice.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
If we have to rename it, I'd like to keep the Minecraft section as Blocktopia. Otherwise it's less of an overhaul and more of a completely new community, which honestly won't feel like it has the same "mood" as Blocktopia.

Maybe I just don't like major change, but I can't say I'm on board with completely renaming it.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
[Community] presents Blocktopia

'Blocktopia' as a name being used to describe the server lobby perhaps?
This could work. I think some people are going to want to find 'Blocktopia' and it helps to have something share the name.

New name ideas, The Mineshaft? :D

Realistically though, I have no ideas yet...

• Thank You
Reactions: JtTorso

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
[Community] presents Blocktopia

'Blocktopia' as a name being used to describe the server lobby perhaps?
To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about the Minecraft part of the community being renamed to Blocktopia itself. Just the way it would be named sounds weird.

"[Community] presents: Blocktopia: Army of Firebox"

I just feel like since each server has its own name that the Blocktopia name is unnecessary. Plus, if we kept some part of our former name, people could easily dismiss us as "OH.. its THEM. WITH MORE NAMES."

Id be much more keen to the idea that if we do rename, its just as we do now, with "Community: Army of Firebox"

tnm

Reaction score
Going to agree with ogarci here- naming the minecraft section blocktopia would probably be quite confusing. If we're changing our name, it would be best to completely change it rather than keep it for a particular section: [Community]: [server name] seems much better. In regards to the actual name, I'm quite fond of Blocktopia Gaming although I guess it could be deemed to be too minecrafty, in which case I'll have a think about an alternative.

We could probably set up some system to let the community decide- perhaps an initial google form where people can submit ideas and then afterwards one where they can vote? It's definitely going to be best involving the community in as many decisions as possible.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
We could probably set up some system to let the community decide- perhaps an initial google form where people can submit ideas and then afterwards one where they can vote? It's definitely going to be best involving the community in as many decisions as possible.
I agree with this and think it would be a good idea, perhaps not a guaranteed outcome, as I can see a group organizing and voting our new community name to be "Mineshaft" or something unrealistic. I think a suggestion post would be beneficial but community voting makes it a little more complicated.

JtTorso

Reaction score
What was the process we used when renaming from TheOne's? It's been so long I can hardly remember, did we have a list of preset names that we allowed the community to pick from, or did we let the community suggest names and then we picked from that which we liked most and let the community vote on those?

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
What was the process we used when renaming from TheOne's? It's been so long I can hardly remember, did we have a list of preset names that we allowed the community to pick from, or did we let the community suggest names and then we picked from that which we liked most and let the community vote on those?
At the time, we just had a mass TS meeting - people suggested names, and those that gained traction were voted on at that point in time.
<16:50:16> Benrune: -------------------------------]
<16:50:41> Benrune: MinersUnited
<16:50:46> Megatron: +1
<16:50:47> HotChick(en)AtBar: -1
<16:50:48> F_35c1: +1 to get rid of
<16:50:48> Infernofox: -1
<16:50:48> Deadl0ck: +1
<16:50:49> Skittz: +1
<16:50:49> Hಠrrible: -0
<16:50:49> Barney Stinson: +1
<16:50:50> Fretless: +1 to be removed
<16:50:50> Forseti: +1
<16:50:51> Malcovent: +1
<16:50:53> F_35c1: -1 to keep
<16:50:53> HotChick(en)AtBar: oh
<16:50:54> HotChick(en)AtBar: _1
<16:50:55> xrat: +1
<16:50:56> HotChick(en)AtBar: +1
<16:50:57> Lastwill: -1 keep
<16:50:57> Fretless: Allergic Reaction Craft?
<16:51:16> Benrune: -------------------------------]
<16:51:20> Nillbugwtw: +
<16:51:25> F_35c1: MineCraftUnited
<16:51:30> Skittz: -1
<16:51:30> Rizyq: +1 against
<16:51:31> Megatron: +1
<16:51:31> Forseti: +1
<16:51:33> Megatron: against
<16:51:35> xrat: +1
<16:51:35> Infernofox: keep it
<16:51:35> Barney Stinson: +1 it sucks nubpoop
<16:51:37> Nillbugwtw: Gah. I'd be talking if i could find my bloody mic.
<16:51:38> Deadl0ck: +1 against.
<16:51:41> Malcovent: +1
<16:51:41> Hayze: +1
<16:51:41> Fretless: +1
<16:51:41> HotChick(en)AtBar: +1
<16:51:42> Infernofox: -1
<16:51:42> Skittz: +1
<16:51:48> iBeatYourFace: Lets just +1 everything :D
<16:51:52> Benrune: +1
<16:52:02> Benrune: -------------------------------]
<16:52:07> F_35c1: FreeMiners
<16:52:08> xrat: +1
<16:52:08> Rizyq: -1
<16:52:08> Malcovent: -1 (KEEP IT)
<16:52:08> Deadl0ck: ---1
<16:52:09> Megatron: -1
<16:52:09> Infernofox: +!
<16:52:09> Skittz: +1
<16:52:11> Forseti: +1
<16:52:11> Infernofox: +1
<16:52:12> HotChick(en)AtBar: -1
<16:52:16> Fretless: +1
<16:52:16> F_35c1: -1
<16:52:16> Benrune: -1(keep it)
<16:52:16> Rizyq: -1 - Keep it for now
<16:52:17> Barney Stinson: -1
<16:52:19> Nillbugwtw: +1
<16:52:29> Malcovent: i want the damned freemason logo
<16:52:32> Barney Stinson: xD
<16:52:35> Benrune: -------------------------------]
<16:52:37> Infernofox: me
<16:52:41> Hಠrrible: inuendocrafT?
<16:52:42> Benrune: -------------------------------]

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm leaning towards a full rename.

I can see the benefits of retaining some traces of Blocktopia, but I feel like we're going to

a.) Phase it out at some stage anyway
b.) Get stuck with this mindset of only a half-overhaul, where we desperately cling to sentimentality.
c.) Only half complete the overhaul, and have an awkward mix of complete and incomplete change.

I understand that this is scary, people are worried about losing our roots. But quite frankly

- The Blocktopia 'trademark' just isn't bringing in masses of people anymore, we can easily make blocktopia.net redirect to the new community page if old members want to find us (at least for one more year.),
- These changes are meant to be scary. We should be outside our comfort zone, thats the entire idea of scrapping everything and doing it from scratch.

Baker93 superstein final thoughts?

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm leaning towards a full rename.

I can see the benefits of retaining some traces of Blocktopia, but I feel like we're going to

a.) Phase it out at some stage anyway
b.) Get stuck with this mindset of only a half-overhaul, where we desperately cling to sentimentality.
c.) Only half complete the overhaul, and have an awkward mix of complete and incomplete change.

I understand that this is scary, people are worried about losing our roots. But quite frankly

- The Blocktopia 'trademark' just isn't bringing in masses of people anymore, we can easily make blocktopia.net redirect to the new community page if old members want to find us (at least for one more year.),
- These changes are meant to be scary. We should be outside our comfort zone, thats the entire idea of scrapping everything and doing it from scratch.

Baker93 superstein final thoughts?
Sure, you make some good points. Redirecting blocktopia.net is good enough for people to find us.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
I'm not Baker or superstein...

... but still giving my opinion anyways! We don't need the Blocktopia brand anymore, I think. Look at us now, we never were "The Ones: Blocktopia" or anything like it, probably because they were trying to achieve the same goal. I'm sure the name "The Ones" also had sentimental value but look how far Blocktopia has come... as Blocktopia. It worked out, we all love this name now. (Also it feels weird referring to the people who voted on the name change as "they" when some of them are still here...)

And just as Malcovent said, "Blocktopia" isn't attracting people like it was before. Therefore all for a complete rename! Just... what that name is, I'm not sure yet. I like the idea of offering it to the community. We can create and decide between the small group of us, sure, but more people means more (possibly better) ideas to choose from. Also it's their community too; I think they'd like to have input on it, whether it's coming up with names or voting between two.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we're at the stage where... we actually need ideas. (oh no!)

We can either -
1. Come up with ideas ourselves... and pick one that might work
2. Ask the community for ideas, sort through the inevitable joke responses and find one that might work

I'm at a loss for ideas and I'll try and think of some, but picking a name is damn hard :(

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hm, going to go with #2

I think the way I see this working is - we're axing the Blocktopia name entirely, (the domain will just leave a redirect to the new domain), We'll open up a thread taking in suggestions,then either hand pick one suggestion or, chuck up a poll if we can't come to some sort of decision.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I had an idea to make a forum where users can submit threads with name ideas and we head staff can vote on them (so as to purge the silly ones and get a smaller representative of what people may want), then maybe do a final poll with the final 3 we've decided on and the winner of that poll will be the new name :D

Should be possible. If we are to do this, when? Before we present all our shiz, or once we have?

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
What's our policy on the joke names coming in? We've been getting a bunch, if it starts to pick up we purge the section of them?

At least some are creative, some just stupid...
I didn't think there were that many joke ones but yes, there's a few. Should we just remove those ones that obvious jokes?

On another note, what do you guys think of the current ones so far?

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Some of 'em are decent, we can take a closer look once forum is no longer public (at least, I think that's the plan)
Been removing the really low effort jokes / suggestions we can throw out the window immediately, we can keep some of the better received jokes for now, I did find the aperson/Clocktopia suggestions relatively funny :p

Reactions: Hunter and JtTorso
Status
Not open for further replies.