Declined In-game map rating.

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
After playing a map, users may be prompted to vote on their enjoyment of a map.
- I have suggested this as there is currently a large amount of maps within the server, and that the direct participation of the community who play on the server (and many of whom may not have a forums account) would be key in rating the success of maps to weed out the good/bad. There is, as most would wish to point out, a questionnaire on the RoF forums, but having a simple rating system after playing a map would be a more viable alternative, especially as typing out a command in-game would be more concise than filling out a questionnaire on the pros/cons of each of the 80+ maps, and of course the user may not have played the map recently and may not have a memory of the maps being critiqued, or which map is which simple because of the creative naming choices.
The in-game rating system would get the direct input of the community and have an over-all benefit to the server.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
There are probably several ways of implementing this, but this is how I see what you're talking about:

Rating Scale:
Round Ends
Player is Teleported to KoTL
Vote message shows up asking "How did you like the previous map? Rate it from 1-10 *10 being highest*"
(Same protocol as normal votes -- no talking until after you voted)
The player can simply ignore that vote message and resume playing KoTL, etc.
And when the Map comes into rotation to be voted for there will be an average score next to the map:
1. Map A - 8.2
2. Map B - 9.5

At first glance, this looks like the most simple and obvious way of implementing this type of voting system, but I can think of a few cons about doing it this way.
First, I don't think there would be much thought if a rating scale were used because players can cheat the system and rate the map as "1" for the hell of it even if the map is actually good.
Even players that may have died in that map for some unknown reason would probably be mad and rate it low.
A rating of "5" for one person could be different for another.
Would this be easy to code?

Voting Form:
Instead of that, use a Google voting form where a [Tip] comes up reading:
[Tip] Want to rate this map? Click here! http://bit.ly/1vDbI1Z
And if that [Tip] doesn't show up during the length of the map or if players want to vote at any given time, give them a /rate command that shows them the link when they use it.

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if what I'm about to say is anything like what you're trying to get at, but;
We have a survey currently where you can vote for maps you dislike. If any are collectively disliked by a majority of the people who reply, they will be removed.
I guess those things are somewhat similar, hence why I mentioned it. I think that putting it in would be a bit... not useless, but too much of a hassle when we have something similar already happening?
If I have a completely different interpretation of what you were trying to say then let me know

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm not sure if what I'm about to say is anything like what you're trying to get at, but;
We have a survey currently where you can vote for maps you dislike. If any are collectively disliked by a majority of the people who reply, they will be removed.
I guess those things are somewhat similar, hence why I mentioned it. I think that putting it in would be a bit... not useless, but too much of a hassle when we have something similar already happening?
If I have a completely different interpretation of what you were trying to say then let me know
There is, as most would wish to point out, a questionnaire on the RoF forums, but having a simple rating system after playing a map would be a more viable alternative, especially as typing out a command in-game would be more concise than filling out a questionnaire on the pros/cons of each of the 80+ maps, and of course the user may not have played the map recently and may not have a memory of the maps being critiqued, or which map is which simply because of the creative naming choices.
He means that There should be a way to rate a map in-game, as it increases efficiency and, let's face it, increases the likelihood that people vote.

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
There is a questionnaire on the RoF forums, but having a simple rating system after playing a map would be a more viable alternative, especially as typing out a command in-game would be more concise than filling out a questionnaire on the pros/cons of each of the 80+ maps, and of course the user may not have played the map recently and may not have a memory of the maps being critiqued, or which map is which simple because of the creative naming choices.

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I've now been quoted twice. Is that really needed.
I didn't properly read that, I've been doing that a lot recently. I apologise.

Now that I've read it about 10 times, I understand and I can see where you're coming from.
I think it would be a good idea, but only for the time that we're doing this. If we go back to getting rid of some again then we could consider putting it back in.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jubjubers
W

Wimali

There are probably several ways of implementing this, but this is how I see what you're talking about:

Rating Scale:
Round Ends
Player is Teleported to KoTL
Vote message shows up asking "How did you like the previous map? Rate it from 1-10 *10 being highest*"
(Same protocol as normal votes -- no talking until after you voted)
The player can simply ignore that vote message and resume playing KoTL, etc.
And when the Map comes into rotation to be voted for there will be an average score next to the map:
1. Map A - 8.2
2. Map B - 9.5

At first glance, this looks like the most simple and obvious way of implementing this type of voting system, but I can think of a few cons about doing it this way.
First, I don't think there would be much thought if a rating scale were used because players can cheat the system and rate the map as "1" for the hell of it even if the map is actually good.
Even players that may have died in that map for some unknown reason would probably be mad and rate it low.
A rating of "5" for one person could be different for another.
Would this be easy to code?

Voting Form:
Instead of that, use a Google voting form where a [Tip] comes up reading:
[Tip] Want to rate this map? Click here! http://bit.ly/1vDbI1Z
And if that [Tip] doesn't show up during the length of the map or if players want to vote at any given time, give them a /rate command that shows them the link when they use it.
Definitely think this is the way to go- as a permanent solution. This way we wouldn't need to do a community vote for the rotation ever so often, but instead just remove maps with low ratings. However, I think we should go with "like" and "dislike" (or up/downvote) and just have a "0% likes this" thing. This is because people will vote either 1 or 10 anyway (just look at metacritic user scores. It's also why YouTube switched to the like/dislike system instead of the 5 star system).

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
or replace 2choice map voting with a set rotation which randomizes every loop
and implement a form of the old tnt's /skip function

that could solve some of the problems with unwanted maps while still allowing the few who enjoy them to play the maps if they are the majority whilst online

Reactions: Jubjubers