Lava Survival Huge changes for RoF

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I was going to do some backstory about Avallis not being very pleased that everyone’s surviving his supposedly deadly lava waves so easily and is making Ragnarok happen, but I don’t think you’d bother reading it, and I can’t do lore to save my life. So I’ll just say it to you now:

We’re having a wipe.

Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.

It’s been in the pipeline for ages. No one really has much to work towards anymore and it’s becoming slightly dull, so to be fair, we really need it. The wipe will include all ranks, money, ontime, plots and pretty much everything else. You’re going to spawn in the tutorial without a rank or an item to your name.

However, we would like to keep a collection all the special items we’ve given out, to retain memories of the old RoF. If you have something special that you’d like to donate, whether it’s a sword, a tunic, a head, whatever, please contact a RoF Controller+, so we can maintain a collection of these items. There is also a couple of chests in the lobby for you to donate your stuff. Please note we’re not giving back donated stuff - you’re going to lose everything in a couple of weeks anyway.

Of course, we’re not just going to wipe the server and keep it in its current state. No way. We’ve got a big update coming your way - and we mean a big update! A post will be put out on May 13th (when the new update’s being released) to tell you about some of the changes we have ready for you. These changes will change the way you play RoF, and hopefully really benefit your gameplay experience. After this big update, shorter and more rapid updates will resume.

Naturally, not everyone’s going to be happy about this wipe. You’ve spent ages collecting your items, earning your ranks, and everything’s just getting flushed down the toilet. However, remember what happened when BuildBox had its wipe? Everyone was pretty mad, but look at what Create’s like now. I don’t think anyone’s complaining about the wipe anymore.

There will be a one-week beta period starting from May 13th to make sure everything is balanced and ready. If everything’s alright, we can plough on and everything will be good. If something’s terribly imbalanced and many people are exploiting it however, I’m afraid we do reserve the right to reset during this period so everything can be balanced. We also reserve the right to extend this beta period if needs be.

On another note - we have a map competition going on at the moment. It's going on from April 30th to May 30th (so right now), so please take a look! http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/19568/

We thank you for playing RoF for the past 4 years, and the RoF team really hope you enjoy this new version of Rituals of Fire.

Last edited:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Guess who is never playing rof ever again.
<------ this person right here!
Okay, we'll ban you from the server just in case you try to join!
Serious note: It's understandable that you'll dislike this change, but it's necessary, especially since RoF hasn't been reset for quite a bit (minus rollbacks and bugs). Feel free to join the server when we release the update!

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I understand that we need a wipe but 4 years of hard work to get to my rank right now. All flushed away, hours spent just digging little rooms in the sides of mountains, gone.
I know you're upset, but this reset is needed for us to make the game more exciting and engaging. People were upset with BuildBox's wipe, but that came out alright in the end. I can't force you to stay, but please give New RoF a chance when it comes out. There's not just going to be a wipe. plz?

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I understand that we need a wipe but 4 years of hard work to get to my rank right now. All flushed away, hours spent just digging little rooms in the sides of mountains, gone.
Rof hasn't been around for 4 years.

I understand where you're coming from, but this is the best thing for the server. There are a ton of issues and imbalances that we hope to address with the updates. We're not wiping just because we feel like it. We're wiping because the game-changing updates we're implementing will be worthless if we don't start fresh.

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be playing in the future, so as the co-founder of the server, thank you very much from the bottom of my heart for playing as long as you did. It means more to us and the staff that work on it than you know.

Try things out after the wipe, there's a lot that's going to be changed, and we're very hopeful that it's going to make the server more fun and less grindy.

I know it's of no consolation, but there is plans for a memorial of the players that achieved high ranks or milestones. At minimum, your playerhead and a sign with your name will be included.

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Rof hasn't been around for 4 years.
I know that. I'll try the things after the wipe but I'm not sure if I'll continue my time on RoF.

I also understand the choice to wipe the server and I know that it is necessary for the server and the changes that will be implemented. I may have overreacted but I still feel a bit disappointed.

A game reset is probably what is best for the server and as a longish time player I know that if you want to keep the gameplay fresh and exciting that to wipe the game and sort of "start over" is the best choice in this position.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
A note about the item safekeeping things:

Its for things like a pickaxe or something a friend gave you to that says "From friend"
Its for unique things that you cannot just get very easily

It is not for your diamonds or iron or whatever. If you put that in the "Item Safekeeping" chests, it will be trashed.

• Sad
Reactions: LISTINGS09

Refrigerated_Elements

Dear Apparition
Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Just to clarify. Players with sentimental items that are not things like diamonds iron, high tier armor, ect can request to save items to be saved for when the reset happens.

EDIT: Ogar ninjaed me

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Just to clarify. Players with sentimental items that are not things like diamonds iron, high tier armor, ect can request to save items to be saved for when the reset happens.
Do the keepsaked items get saved for each player as usable items after the reset, or as shop items? Or is it like for items that will end up on a memorialized wall of item frames? If it is the latter, how do we know if the item we're going to be donating has already been donated? (Like the Tunic of the Second Lavaversary, or a purple glitched block, or a Super Duper Cookie etc are things I've considered)

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Do the keepsaked items get saved for each player as usable items after the reset, or as shop items? Or is it like for items that will end up on a memorialized wall of item frames? If it is the latter, how do we know if the item we're going to be donating has already been donated? (Like the Tunic of the Second Lavaversary, or a purple glitched block, or a Super Duper Cookie etc are things I've considered)
To be honest they're not being saved as "Oh kuilin donated this item"
Its meant to collect nostalgic things like the spooky armor or the pickaxe of the fallen star. Nothing has been determined yet what is going to be done with the items, but I'd rather keep them for safekeeping than just let them get wiped.

Donate whatever, we'll sort through it. Whatever isnt donated there will be wiped.

• Informative
Reactions: Ceres and kuilin

tyukmn

Esteemed
Donor
Reaction score
Are we keeping /stats? I can't see stats affecting anything negatively for things to come, and it would be nice to build upon them.

Edit: Was informed that /stats will be wiped.

Last edited:

Ceres

Reaction score
I'm intrigued about the update. The only thing I could possibly see that will benefit and be refreshing for Rituals of Fire is a miniature BuildBox designed for easy map making that conform to the specifications required.

D

Deleted member 4601

I was going to do some backstory about Avallis not being very pleased that everyone’s surviving his supposedly deadly lava waves so easily and is making Ragnarok happen, but I don’t think you’d bother reading it, and I can’t do lore to save my life.
I'd certainly love to hear that story :3

Reactions: lizthehedgehog

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I know that. I'll try the things after the wipe but I'm not sure if I'll continue my time on RoF.

I also understand the choice to wipe the server and I know that it is necessary for the server and the changes that will be implemented. I may have overreacted but I still feel a bit disappointed.

A game reset is probably what is best for the server and as a longish time player I know that if you want to keep the gameplay fresh and exciting that to wipe the game and sort of "start over" is the best choice in this position.
Agreed, I have spent so long trying to get to Cultist and I am at that stage that I am actually having fun on RoF without worrying about menial things such as running out of blocks or food. Of course I am not happy about what's going to happen soon; and all of these items I have so far will be gone. I have already went through a partial wipe any ways when my ender chest pretty much disappeared.

I am looking forward to what's going to happen, but hopefully it's not going to be like before where it took a lot of time and was frankly super boring to try to rank up. I am very excited for this update and of course this update isn't going to be popular to some because of the wipe but I am genuinely looking forward to what's going to happen.

Last edited:

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
There will be a one-week beta period starting from May 13th to make sure everything is balanced and ready. If everything’s alright, we can plough on and everything will be good. If something’s terribly imbalanced and many people are exploiting it however, I’m afraid we do reserve the right to reset during this period so everything can be balanced.
Two thingies: do you [the staff] want people to exploit as much as possible to ensure that you're able to see all bugs and pitfalls? The sentence "we do reserve the right to reset" sounds ambiguous and confusing since you're already resetting anyway. What do you mean by this?

Reactions: kuilin

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Two thingies: do you [the staff] want people to exploit as much as possible to ensure that you're able to see all bugs and pitfalls? The sentence "we do reserve the right to reset" sounds ambiguous and confusing since you're already resetting anyway. What do you mean by this?
Its a last resort option if we somehow miss something completely gamebreaking and someone figures out how to get 30 diamond blocks per round and gives them to everyone they know or someone knows how to skip ranks, etc.

If it's a tiny fire than we can put out and fix no harm done, which is the most likely case, no problem, things continue.

If we forget a cigarette in the middle of giant Savannah field and one of use has to come on RoF to this, then we do reserve the ability to rewipe because something is excessively wrong.

Please, by all means, exploit everything and report it. We're confident enough that we won't have to do this (we did this when RoF opened too, and didn't need to do it), so by all means, go nuts. Its a disclaimer so if all goes to hell and we have to hit that button, we told you so! :)

• Thank You
Reactions: kuilin

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Agreed, I have spent so long trying to get to Cultist and I am at that stage that I am actually having fun on RoF without worrying about menial things such as running out of blocks or food. Of course I am not happy about what's going to happen soon; and all of these items I have so far will be gone. I have already went through a partial wipe any ways when my ender chest pretty much disappeared.

I am looking forward to what's going to happen, but hopefully it's not going to be like before where it took a lot of time and was frankly super boring to try to rank up. I am very excited for this update and of course this update isn't going to be popular to some because of the wipe but I am genuinely looking forward to what's going to happen.
I completely agree with rune here. I will be trying out the things after the update but I'm not sure about the whole going through the ranks again (last time I did that, it was a bit tedious) but I am excited to see what is going to happen with the server.

I may have overreacted in the end. I am actually looking forward to the changes that may be implemented in the wipe/update.
And again with rune, I hope that you will try and make the ranking system fun (other than running up and down that ranking tower)

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I was going to do some backstory about Avallis not being very pleased that everyone’s surviving his supposedly deadly lava waves so easily
I'm pretty sure I've died to mobs and random cliffs many more times than to lava, so I guess this is understandable.
we would like to keep a collection all the special items we’ve given out
I have the Pumpkin King's head from Halloween event of 2014 in my enderchest. I've never used it because that's how you lose it.

Reactions: SirComputer