[GUIDE] What's the "corner glitch" and how to avoid it?

W

Wimali

I recently saw quite a few people complain about getting killed by the so-called “Corner glitch”, even Master+. Apparantly they did not know about this, so I decided to create this thread to explain what the corner glitch is, how to avoid it, and just information about it in general.​
What’s the corner glitch?
The corner glitch first occurred early January 2013. In fact, one of the very first cases of a similar glitch was recorded by LagEater and uploaded to YouTube. When you are idling in a corner, there’s a high chance you will get set on fire. Why does this happen? Frankly, I’ve got no idea. What I do know is that it happens a lot and can kill you.​
A reconstruction of the corner glitch can be seen in the picture above.

Do I get a restore when I’m killed by this glitch?
This depends on the staff member. I’m not sure what the rules about this really are, but some staff will restore you while others won’t. If you didn’t know about the glitch at all, you’ll probably get a restore.

Are there any other variants of this glitch?
Yes. There are a lot of them. Pretty much any meltable block you put against the wall, for example, can get set on fire (or have the blocks around them set on fire). The following picture will give some (but definitely not all!) variants. Three examples can be seen in the video I linked earlier.

How can I avoid getting killed by a glitch like this?
There’s several ways to make sure this won’t happened to you. Let’s sum them up!

1. Don’t afk
Honestly, I get why people afk a lot and I do it myself very often, but this is just the simplest way of avoiding afk-dying. Alternative, you could turn down all Minecraft-sounds except for “Players.” This way you won’t hear most of the other in-game sounds while AFK’ing, but will hear people (including you) getting damaged by fire.

2. Don’t afk in corners
This seems pretty obvious. Why would you still afk in corners when they’ve been known to set you on fire?

3. Don’t make your floor out of wood.
Even if you ‘protect’ the wood with cobblestone, there’s a pretty high chance it’ll still cause fires. Especially close to corners or walls.

4. Don’t place workbenches, wood, signs, etc. near walls.
Pretty much any meltable block placed near a wall can get set on fire or cause fires around it. Especially in smaller houses, this can kill a lot of people.

I hope this small guide helped, and feel free to post in the thread if you think I’ve missed something or got anything wrong. I’ll gladly edit/expand it! Feel free to ask questions about this and similar glitches in this thread as well.