Blocktopia Overhaul - Name Change Suggestions

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Blocktopia,

[JUSTIFY]Whilst I'm afraid you'll have to wait for one of my Co-administrators to post a recap of agreed changes for the upcoming overhaul, one I can confirm is that we will be entirely dropping the Blocktopia name.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]In light of this, we've decided that the best approach to renaming the community would be to create a subforum for users to post threads with name suggestions and, people who like specific names to respond in those threads voicing interest.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]When administrators feel enough suggestions/interest have been submitted, we will either privately decide on a name from the submitted names or put the most popular three to a vote. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
Questions
Q:Why not default straight to a vote?
[JUSTIFY]A: Because of the inherent issue of people submitting names dedicated to a single fanbase (My Little Pony Gamers™) we decided that it's best if there is some administrative oversight on the process to avoid adopting an unsatisfactory name.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Q: You said agreed overhaul changes, does the community not get an input on any changes?[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]A: Whilst the changes have been agreed by Directors+, there is plans to open up the overhaul planning forums at some stage to allow users to comment on changes & suggest their own. Albeit only for a brief period.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Q: Why is the overhaul taking so long?[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]A: Partly because we don't want to rush the process, a lot of decisions to be made have large implications for our current player-base. Though partly because the admin team were winding down somewhat for Christmas. But rest assured that we're closing in on something agreeable.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Q: Will the URL change?[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]A: Yes, however Blocktopia.net will stay up into late 2015 and redirect to the new address.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Q: Are we going to be a general gaming community, or will we focus on a select number of games?[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]A: A general gaming community, all names for the community suggested must but non-game specific.[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY] [/JUSTIFY]
Any questions asked will be added & answered above by myself or another admin.

Last edited:

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Will these forums be wiped/replaced? (probably and hopefully not, but have to ask)
Will the URL change?
Are we going to be a general gaming community, or will we focus on a select number of games?
How will we afford this?
Will we run ads to make up for lack of donations?

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Questions related to the namechange I will add to the original post, for other general overhaul related questions, to repeat myself -

"Whilst I'm afraid you'll have to wait for one of my Co-administrators to post a recap of agreed changes for the upcoming overhaul, one I can confirm is that we will be entirely dropping the Blocktopia name."
Q: You said agreed overhaul changes, does the community not get an input on any changes?
A: Whilst the changes have been agreed by Directors+, there is plans to open up the overhaul planning forums at some stage to allow users to comment on changes & suggest their own. Albeit only for a brief period.

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
Another quick little note: While joke names are terribly fun (I would love if the community were renamed Nillbugscape420), do remember that we would like some rather serious suggestions as well, since realistically, our new name will come directly from these suggestions.

Use your best judgement, of course, but please bear in mind that this is not a forum game on silly community names, but a community-led discussion on what our new community will be named.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Will these forums be wiped/replaced? (probably and hopefully not, but have to ask)
Will the URL change?
Are we going to be a general gaming community, or will we focus on a select number of games?
How will we afford this?
Will we run ads to make up for lack of donations?
1. Malcovent can probably answer better than I, but no plan to wipe forums (though we may nuke some forums for space, that hold little significance to few people)
2. Yes, but blocktopia.net will be a redirect for a while
3. General, though we will provide more support for select number
4. Shouldn't cost us much at all, if anything it should let us cut costs.
5. Ads are obnoxious, I don't think we will ever run ads.

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I'd actually be fine with ads, now adays we have things like ad-block and I'd much rather choose to have adds to support certain sites then have adds forced upon me.
Or have ads, but disable them for users who donate. It's a pretty efficient tactic, or so the guys at game-debate told me -- there, free users do exist, but the absence of ads (and a few tools but that doesn't apply to BT anyways) is only available to "premium" users.
That said, I really hope this community never goes to separate donors and free users (it's hard finding a word/phrase for us "leechers" without insulting anyone) with various subforums and gameplay types/servers. I'm just explaining my suggestion to both limit the advertisements and increase income for the new (probably a lot bigger) servers.

I personally would never white/blacklist a site on my adblock plugin, but if I see a donate button on a site I enjoy I'll gladly pay as much or more than the site owner would get from the ads I would've seen.

Doxxieh

Reaction score
I have two questions. Firstly, will these forums be stored or archived or something? like, so people can read the soon-to-be old forums and stuff. Secondly, will the teamspeak address just be changed or will a new teamspeak be set up?
Any questions about my questions, just ask

davidjl123

Historian
Donor
Reaction score
Website
omaranddavid.weebly.com
Firstly, will these forums be stored or archived or something? like, so people can read the soon-to-be old forums and stuff.
Hopefully Blocktopia won't make the same mistake a third time.

EDIT ShadowSneaker360 : They didn't save the first and second forums and they both got lost.

Last edited: