Do you think this suggestion should get implemented

• Yes

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
W

Wimali

You’re probably thinking: I’ve seen this idea before. REPOST! It’s a repost guys! The suggestion has been declined before, why is there another thread needed? There’s already been made like 5 threads about this! Take a hint, dude: They’re not adding extra storage.

However, the fact that it has been suggested so many times is just more proof to me why it should be added. I mean… Just look at this:

Suggestion: Better storage (by buildbuild12)
Suggestion: One more storage chest (by Wimali_Stebox)
Suggestion: Virtual enderchests/personal chests (by roboboy777)
Suggestion: Extended storage (by tyukmn)

And these are just a few examples. I have seen quite a few people request more storage in the in-game chat as well. I also suggested something like this a very long time ago (before all of the other ones) but the thread was deleted because the staff did not like the suggestion.

Wimali, why did you feel the need to bring this up again?
The basic idea behind most of these is simple: We want more storage space. Be it in another room, an extra enderchest, whatever- Just more space to store stuff. As players have been on the server for longer, they tend to gather quite a bit of materials. Iron ore, iron blocks, gold blocks, diamonds, enchanted pickaxes, supercookies, … the list goes on and on. A lot of times, they are forced to throw away stuff simply because it can’t fit in their chests! This is not fun. It is not fair. It’s only annoying.

I’m going to start by comparing RoF to Classic Lava. Although they are (in core) very similar, the two servers are still extremely different. I’d even dare to say they’re different “sub”genres of the Lava Survival gamemode. RoF is focused on survival. Classic Lava, on the other hand, was more focused on building (in 2011, anyway). However, the problem here is that on RoF, it’s just too easy to survive. But we’re unable to get creative and actually build stuff, because of the limited amount of blocks. Most people will just have some cobblestone and stone bricks laying around. They can’t build nice-looking or fancy houses. They don’t have the materials for that.

What was so nice about Classic Lava, in my opinion, is the very fact that people built creative and amazing houses. They had infinite blocks as well, which greatly benefited buildings and dams. That’s the biggest reason I want extra storage to get added- So people can store materials and use them for later rounds. Sure, it would remove the challenge, but if you’re at the point where you actually need to fill chests and chests with blocks, haven’t you kind of “beaten” the game already anyway?

Another thing is that the enderchest right now seems to be used mostly as a storage place for rare things. As I mentioned earlier: Minerals, enchanted tools, name tags,... People don’t use it to store blocks and stuff, because they realize how few slots they have.

But… You shouldn’t get more space! Because… reasons!

I’ve taken some time to analyze the answers in previous suggestion-threads and dismantle them, so to say. Here we go:

>I don't like this suggestion. I think crafters+ should be happy that they actually even have an ender chest, there could be no ender chest at all. One ender-chest is challenging, part of the game, if you'd have two ender-chests that would be too easy.

It’s challenging. It makes the game more fun. We don’t want players to have a lot of blocks! RoF is about survival, not building nice cute houses! No! We want- In fact, we demand that you build 3x3x3 houses! As I said earlier, I feel like we should get more storage space because there is no challenge. People can just make a 3x3x3 and AFK for the rest of the round. And Grandmasters don’t really need to play either: Most of them just stay for the community or because it’s a habit (hi). The fact that we don’t have a lot of enderchest space doesn’t create a challenge- It creates an annoyance.

>Might make the game a little bit too easy unless there were a pretty big entrance fee, maybe even with upkeep costs.

Honestly… I feel like it should be free. Not for Crafters. Not for journeymen, and not for experts. Maybe Grandmasters should get like 5 extra chests, with the ability to purchase more at 10k/chest. Now you’re probably thinking: Holy shit, isn’t that way too much? Who would ever need that much storage? I’ll repeat: We are unable to buy nice houses with various blocks. I remember Numberplay building a very nice looking house after gathering resources for 10 rounds on Falls, about a year ago. I wondered… why can’t we have this every round? I remember building spawnhouses, fancy spawnhouses with furniture and chests. Why shouldn’t we be able to have this every round?

RoF is focused on survival… But it shouldn’t be. For example, stone bricks are incredibly easy to get or buy. Yet quartz block, which is safe on the same moods, is no-drop on Tartarus. Hardened clay is no-drop on a lot of clay maps, yet it melts on Annoyed. Dirt melts on the same moods- Is dirt no-drop? This is what I mean: You aren’t making the game harder, you’re just making it harder to get unique materials. It’s almost as if you discourage nice builds.

Anyway… maybe it’s time I come to my actual suggestion.

What I think should change

Crafters and all other ranks under Grandmaster just have the one enderchest, like has always been the case. Grandmasters, on the other hand, start with 5 extra enderchests. How they access this isn’t important. Through a command, different chests, rooms… It doesn’t really matter. What does matter, however, is that it’s free. They should be able to buy infinitely more chests for ten thousand cookies (or maybe supercookies?). Perhaps Masters should get one or two enderchests as well- I’ve noticed that quite a few people seem to stay at Master because… they don’t like the colour gold. Apparantly. I don’t fucking know.

Conclusion (tl;dr)

(Please don’t respond to this thread after reading only the conclusion. That’s like reading the headline of an article without reading the entire thing and then commenting on it)

I started this suggestion as a request for more storage. This is still the request I want to see fullfilled the most (and which I think is actually the most common request, although perhaps “underlying”) but as you’ve noticed I criticized a lot more than that. For over a year now I’ve felt like RoF is limited because of its focus on survival. RoF should not be focused on survival; if people want to they can easily win the round anyway. There’s no point in making it harder, because people can and will the easy route. I feel like a lot of no-drop blocks on certain maps should be reconsidered as well, as I said earlier in the thread.

RoF needs a re-balance.

Anyway… I’m just rambling on at this point. Please forgive me if anything in this thread seems rude/overdemanding. I realize the staff is extremely busy with “The Darkness” right now, among other things (e.g. multiple other suggestions) but I felt like this needed to be adressed. The fact that this suggestion has been posted and requested countless times before obviously shows that people want it. I hope this thread will help. Feel very feel to criticize the everlasting shit out of this idea, and I will try to defend it as much as I can.

However, it’s possible that I was unable to convince you with this thread. That’s why I’ve also asked some players on RoF if they wanted this. Here are the responses. I’d think this is what should convince you the most: Not my long post, but the mass-demand of the people- Your players. The people that would get affected by the implementation of this.

However, one player I asked actually said no :(

I only asked 10 people though, of which 9 said they want this. I could ask more players, but I’m assuming most people probably want it and I'm lazy.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly I see this getting shot down, much like all the others.

It really sounds like a cock thing to say but, "If you want change, change it from within"
Meaning if people really and truly want change then your going to have to incept the system and climb the ranks and whole heartingly gain clout then implement and talk over within staff secret talks about a system.

Such an example is the library that's involved with the server, I do not know the background about it personally but it really feels like its an idea that can be fought against much like the storage idea; as in something cosmetic that drives the server away from 'survival.' I'm not knocking the library, but its only showing comparison. As well we are not here to combat the usefulness or validity of the library.

Personally this shouldn't be limited or free to anyone. Its like a kick to the groin to restrict this to simply those who have poured cookies and time, time that many people simply do not have, into getting grandmaster then get this for free for doing nothing but loitering longer then other users. While there is some tactic to surviving so long it amounts to having common material and a rarity of angrier lava rounds, or simply huddling together in a more readied players home.

"But lee, they have spent sooo many hours on the server they deserve a perk over someone who just joined don't they" Well sir that's just elitism bull-crap. DoD doesn't restrict a villages creation based on being an elder or a new player, however this is comparing potatoes and apples. As far as from what I've seen in other servers a rank insinuates nothing more then a person who has played longer with a cosmetic. RoF being the only exception of limiting things on a per rank basis outside of staff rankings, you can say BB does this, but those are plugin permissions, those don't count.

The counter suggestion? supercookies control the chests you have access to. At an entry level cost supercookies are used to unlock these chests per chest with a reaccuring upkeep per chest every friday. Why? Because its a tactical advantage that a player is being gifted with in this survival situation, a gift that is equal opportunity to all players. While you sacrifice your raising in rank for the supercookies you gain the benefit of more storage.

Just because your a grandmaster doesn't mean your the only one who should be attributed the privilege to gain more storage and the right to build more fancy things.

Rof is too easy to survive but too hard and limited to build preety preety bs? Sounds like calm needs to become the new rare emotion.

• Disagree
Reactions: myusername22
D

DarkHender

I am trying to make this as neat as possible and easy to read.
Little Rant
What makes me pretty mad is that after looking at all the threads the only one that was denied was the first one and it wasn't even given a chance. All the other suggestions had ops/vetops agreeing they would like to see more space but no higher staff responded to the thread.
Why are we ignoring the players at this point

Great Ideas
After reading all of the suggestion threads, I think this idea is great. Some ideas are overpowered but I think it would be tweaked and worked with now that we have super cookies and higher ranked players have a lot of cookies. IQ Destructor had a great idea with upkeep costs if necessary.

My Opinions & Suggestions
I read all of the suggestion forums, most of the staff agreed they want a larger inventory space! It wouldn't make the game to easy in my opinion if we added maybe.. one more enderchest to expert plus. Just like crafters earn an enderchest after they rank up. It could even be a normal chest like any kind of vault idea. Seriously, I don't care how expensive it is to get an extra inventory space. We could get an extra enderchest or chest everytime we rank up for free or have to pay a certain amount of cookies at any rank if we want an extra one. We need and want extra space!
Make it super cookies or regular cookies. Make it expensive or make it free. Enderchests or a vault of regular chests.. Upkeep costs or not!
(I don't know how we can cover the upkeep costs if we don't play for a certain amount of time.. but have it restricted until we pay the upkeep cost if need be)

Why do I want more storage?
I keep things that are important to me in my enderchest. I have presents that do not stack from some of my long lost friends, I have heads that do not stack that I cannot store anywhere else. Some can't be bought anymore. I also have books from lovely people that I like to save so I can reread them, some are more than a year old and I wouldn't trash ever.
With more storage I can save more things I've bought, I can gather more materials and actually build nicer homes without the worry of keeping it in my inventory and then dying and loosing it all.

Responding to previous posts
Honestly… I feel like it should be free. Not for Crafters. Not for journeymen, and not for experts. Maybe Grandmasters should get like 5 extra chests, with the ability to purchase more at 10k/chest. Now you’re probably thinking: Holy shit, isn’t that way too much? Who would ever need that much storage? I’ll repeat: We are unable to buy nice houses with various blocks. I remember Numberplay building a very nice looking house after gathering resources for 10 rounds on Falls, about a year ago. I wondered… why can’t we have this every round? I remember building spawnhouses, fancy spawnhouses with furniture and chests. Why shouldn’t we be able to have this every round?

I think 5 is too much for Grandmasters, this would be an example of too easy imo. Maybe if you got one extra one free but had to buy the rest.. but personally I think all ranks should be good with 2 enderchests and maybe able to buy more chests for a high amount of cookies.. let it be another enderchest or regular chests.
The reason is.. that is a lot of space for free and sounds very overwhelming and unfair to lower players.

I've been working on this post for more than 3 hours.
I'll edit things in later if I feel like it..

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Another important point to strike up is that a lot of people who play RoF are Americans like myself. I'll have you know as an American, everything we Americans own MUST be twice as big in proportion than in any other country in the world, or we will reject it.

But yeah I'm on the fence about the idea and since everyone has taken the liberty of pointing out the pros of extra storage, I'll think up and provide some cons.

-In my opinion, the idea of a storage chest at all is kind of lame/boring/slow-paced. One major problem Lava survival has ALWAYS had was it was too slow and eventually, boredom ensues. RoF hits the scene and tries to remedy this by just plain being in the Premium version, with survival and fear of dying and actually losing everything.
My point here is that adding extra storage would make the game even slower paced and would give players even less of an incentive to try. Where's the fun in surviving if you know that if you lose, you can just grab one of your five extra sets of things out of your chests and jump back in? That is, if you're a hoarder like myself.​
But being able to have another ender chest after a certain rank probably wouldn't affect the con I just mentioned at all. By that point you're earning enough cookies to buy your things back if you die, basically eliminating the need for a whole lot more space.
-That's really the only con I can think of but hey, I'm tired of sitting here waiting for Infection to come back up while my VetOp colleagues are off doing things without me. :(

Reactions: Jivvi

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
First off I'd like to say I feel it's very important we don't overthink this. if you follow most peoples game logic RoF is an extremely boring gamemode I mean according to them you dig a 3x3x3 and then afk for most of the round therefore RoF has no playerbase because it's gamemode sucks right? so nobody has posted on this thread except me since RoF has no playerbase? obviously none of that is true. let me put things into a different perspective,

Nobody dies on buildbox so it lacks a lot of excitement.
In buildbox anyone can obtain and place a block, therefore buildbox is way too easy.
Buildbox is very easy to play, you can survive the server without placing a single block.

I know this looks out of context but I'm trying to make a point. We can't apply pure survival logic to a creative type server. RoF might be in a survival inventory but it by no means is a pure survival type server, It's also very creatively spirited.

personally I've always felt like the lack of storage space has been limiting and completely agree with wimali above where if I might be able to collect more types of blocks I could build more decorative housing. Furthermore I've felt like a lack of storage space Is limiting on the actions players can do within survival mode on the server. to list an example I don't collect ores, I buy any armor I ever obtain if i see iron or obtain it somehow I just throw it away or give it to someone. It's so rare I'll die before I save up enough for armor and I don't have the storage space to store it in my enderchest. I feel this could also apply to things like brewing and farming where people might put forward larger attempts to do things on their own rather than being as store reliant as people are these days.

I just can't help but feel a lack of storage space is really forcing me to become more store reliant and I honestly feel like the server would be more fun if players could have storage space to allow them to collect more materials and even maybe set their own goals for what they'd like to collect and build /farm/brew/grow/whatever. I honestly think this opens possibilities to players that were previously impractical.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I think one thing that you need to consider is whether dirtcake can implement a plugin for additional Enderchests that could specifically work for RoF. Maybe there's already a solid plugin that can already work? But I think this idea could ultimately go down to how easy it is to implement without breaking RoF.

These are a few of the plugins that I found that were related to Enderchest:
BetterEnderChest
EnderChestControl
MultiEnderChest

Here's another idea-- Instead of using Enderchests, what about using Backpacks? I was on another server that uses Backpacks, but one drawback was that the backpack dropped items when the player died. Maybe that option can be changed and have the backpack saved?

Here's a plugin for using Backpacks -it also allows a backpack size ranging from 18, 27, 36, 45, to 54 slots. So the slots can be set for each rank -- like Crafters get 18 slots, whilst GrandMasters get 54 slots.
Backpack

• Agree
Reactions: heartgamingmufin
W

Wimali

I really, really think this should be free, because otherwise most people probably won't get it because they want to save up their money for something else. Maybe have the option to buy more chests, but the first few should definitely be free.

• Agree
Reactions: Lee_scar

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do I want more storage?
I keep things that are important to me in my enderchest. I have presents that do not stack from some of my long lost friends, I have heads that do not stack that I cannot store anywhere else. Some can't be bought anymore. I also have books from lovely people that I like to save so I can reread them, some are more than a year old and I wouldn't trash ever.
With more storage I can save more things I've bought, I can gather more materials and actually build nicer homes without the worry of keeping it in my inventory and then dying and loosing it all.
This basically covers the entire reason I said yes to wanting more space.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
There was a time when I closed one of these suggestions because I had intentions in adding some GM+ material in the game that allowed you to store basically whatever you so chose, at a price of course.

Obviously that was a project started and never finished, and I mildly regret it because seeing it from a players perspective, there's all sorts of things that I want to store but cannot.

That being said, I support this suggestion for adding more storage.