WoM Suggestion: Permament MPPass

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Everyone who uses Direct Connect to lava will find out, that their MPPass is not actual after restart.
EG. Before restart MPPass was: thereiscombinationofnumbersandletters
After restart MPPass is: itisanothercombinationlettersandnumbers
Its possible to make MPPass not changing every restart thus making Direct Connect always reliable?

For Zombie and TNT Direct Connect ALWAYS work for me.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
...Well...

1: You really shouldn't post your MPPass. Ever...
2: The MPPass is a result of the server seed and your username being encrypted into some form. You can connect to the server with anyone if you know their username and you know the servers seed, ergo, you should never be able to find out the server seed (and thus write MPPasses) or you could log in as Deadl0ck himself.

The seed is regenerated on each server reboot. As in, turn off turn on.

So, FYI, remove the MPPass.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
...Well...

1: You really shouldn't post your MPPass. Ever...
2: The MPPass is a result of the server seed and your username being encrypted into some form. You can connect to the server with anyone if you know their username and you know the servers seed, ergo, you should never be able to find out the server seed (and thus write MPPasses) or you could log in as Deadl0ck himself.

The seed is regenerated on each server reboot. As in, turn off turn on.

So, FYI, remove the MPPass.
It isn't my MPPass - I randomly typed letters and numbers.
And seed could be same every restart, because every restart you need to change your MPPass and thus Direct Connect is NOT playing its role.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
mc://servername;port/username/mppass

The mppass is something that only the server owner and minecraft.net can generate for you, it's made by doing an MD5 sum of the server salt and your username.

Here's some php code which will do it:

<?php
$host = '123.234.132.21';
$port = 25535;
$user = 'aUserName';
$salt = '19bba91e5339384d9a8e2233a38c79c5';
printf("mc://%s:%d/%s/%s\n", $host, $port, $user, md5($user . $salt));
?>
From http://www.worldofminecraft.com/content/modifying-mclawl-use-given-salt

Once you have this in, your server will always use this salt to validate the mppass supplied to it, instead of using a random salt, and you can create a script to generate direct connect URLs.
I'm not sure if i'm not making myself clear.

Each reboot, a random salt/seed is generated.
That salt/seed is essential in making the mppass of the Direct Connect URL, as the above quote shows it's a sum MD5 of username and server salt.

It's better security to keep randomizing the salt. But in any case it is possible to have a static salt.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
From http://www.worldofminecraft.com/content/modifying-mclawl-use-given-salt

I'm not sure if i'm not making myself clear.

Each reboot, a random salt/seed is generated.
That salt/seed is essential in making the mppass of the Direct Connect URL, as the above quote shows it's a sum MD5 of username and server salt.

It's better security to keep randomizing the salt. But in any case it is possible to have a static salt.
And random seed makes Direct Connect to Classic Lava useless, as it resets once per day or something, not like on classic Zombie or TNT.

Reaction score
Raz summed it, yeah, the server salt changes every time the server is started, this makes it more secure. Changing this would decrease the security as well, which is not good.
Although i don't like the idea, i could make it, so, it would generate a new salt every week or so. But this is a decision that is up to the directors.
BrickWolf
trngl3087