Which one?

D

DieLorelei

Those are both waaaay over the top for those games, but if price isn't a problem go with MSI

They're cool about warranties, and their products are more reliable (from my experience) than Lenovo's.

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to buy a "gaming" laptop. They often have terrible psu's or other parts and will break a lot sooner than regular desktops. Also, the games you're player don't require that many resources at all and you're probably wasting money if you only plan on playing those games. Seems like the MSI one has a lot of bloatware as well. You can probably get superior & cheaper laptops somewhere else. If you're mainly going to use it for gaming I'd suggest building a desktop instead (as that would be way more powerful) and then have a cheap chromebook or something for portability. Or if you really want to buy a laptop, give me a list of shops you could buy from (amazon.com?) and I could look for a better laptop, if I can find one. If you're going with these two, consider that the MSI one seems to have a CPU (although it probably won't be used to its full potential because of the not-that-great GPU) superior to the one Lenovo has, and consider LoL & CS:GO are mainly CPU insensitive games.

EDIT: More explanation of why you shouldn't buy a laptop for gaming. You have no control over the parts (meaning there could be shitty or low-quality ones in it), you can't upgrade it (meaning in a few years it will be completely obsolete for newer games), if you break one part you're fucking screwed (with a desktop pc you'd be able to just replace the part). You're also paying 2x the money for 1/3 of the performance. The only thing laptops have over desktops is portability. I'm not hating on laptops (actually gaming on a laptop myself) & they aren't that bad, BUT, say, you're planning on shelling out $1k for a laptop:

...if you are in the market for a brand new laptop, ecpessially if you have a budget of $1K, you can make a DAMNgood desktop for $700 and still have an extra $300 for spending money. Maybe even get a cheap ok-ish laptop specifically for work or school... (copied from here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/27n33e/advice_on_a_gaming_laptop/ci439ma)

Anyway, here's some more suggestions for "gaming" laptops if you don't want to bother with desktop pcs:
  • ~$500: Lenovo G505s
  • ~$700: Asus X550LNV, Acer V3-572G-54L9, Lenovo Y40 (portability)
  • ~$900: Lenovo Y50 (i5 variant), Lenovo Y510p (SLI 755M variant)
  • ~$1000: Sager NP7338/58/78
  • ~$1100: Asus G550JK, MSI GE70 Apache Pro
  • ~$1250: Asus G750JM (build quality, cooling), Sager NP8268-S
  • ~$1400: MSI GT60/70

Last edited:
D

DieLorelei

Bloatware can be removed so that probably shouldn't be a deal breaker, and while you can replace parts in a laptop - it almost always voids any kind of warranty and said parts are often incredibly expensive and installing is labor intensive the thinner the laptop is...

Other than that, I agree with Wimali. If its sole purpose is for gaming, you're much better off with a custom desktop.
For portability, I bought an Nvidea Shield tablet to stream the games from my desktop - it has direct access to Steam and several other games through GeForce Experience, and its controller is pretty cool too. As far as productivity goes, it comes with a stylus and writing/drawing apps if writing notes is your thing... I've only had it for a month, but I love it... Before I bought the Shield, I was using a low end laptop and using a remote desktop to access games and photoshop and stuff... (Edit: $300 for the LTE version of Shield, if you want to pay AT&T for monthly data to play anywhere at any time)

Tldr; Theres lots of different options as far as portability, each with their own perks.

One last tip: Check the manufacturer's store as a last resort, you can usually find better deals when shopping from stores with direct competitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Velzerat

Donor
Reaction score
Wimali: Laptops are easily portable so you can take them everywhere. Nobody's going to drag a fucking desktop to Starbucks.
I know that. I explicitly said it's the (biggest) advantage of a laptop. But if you really want to pay $1k for a laptop while you could get a better desktop pc almost half of that money and then still buy a decent, portable laptop, well... You go ahead. I just don't think it's the most efficient and financially-responsible way to go.

All I'm saying is that as far as gaming goes, desktops are way superior in every single way except portability (performance, price, performance/$, "being future-proof", of course a pc can never be truly future-proof but a desktop pc will most likely last a lot longer, upgrade able, modifiable, warranties for every part, etc.).

If iHogi decides to go with a laptop, he can do that.

However, ihogi, if I were you, I'd buy a $700 desktop for gaming and a $300 laptop for portability. You can always stream your desktop pc to your laptop as well, although I doubt you'll be doing that.

(also ihogi as i said if you want to you could give me your budget & webshops you can use, like amazon, and ill see if theres a better laptop you can get)

Reactions: Hunter

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I know that. I explicitly said it's the (biggest) advantage of a laptop. But if you really want to pay $1k for a laptop while you could get a better desktop pc almost half of that money and then still buy a decent, portable laptop, well... You go ahead. I just don't think it's the most efficient and financially-responsible way to go.

All I'm saying is that as far as gaming goes, desktops are way superior in every single way except portability (performance, price, performance/$, "being future-proof", of course a pc can never be truly future-proof but a desktop pc will most likely last a lot longer, upgrade able, modifiable, warranties for every part, etc.).

If iHogi decides to go with a laptop, he can do that.

(also ihogi as i said if you want to you could give me your budget & webshops you can use, like amazon, and ill see if theres a better laptop you can get)
I'm not saying a 1K dollar laptop is okay. I'm just saying if one asks for a laptop, advice should be given for a laptop.

Velzerat

Donor
Reaction score
I'm not saying a 1K dollar laptop is okay. I'm just saying if one asks for a laptop, advice should be given for a laptop.
I did offer advice for a laptop. I suggested 7 different laptop models for different budgets & I offered the OP to have me help him look for a better laptop. I also told him that the MSI one would probably be the better choice, as it has a better CPU (if the specs on those websites aren't false). But I think it would be stupid not to at least tell him about the option of buying a desktop, because again, it's superior in almost every way.

Similarly, I think it would only be reasonable when someone asks "guys which of these 2 inkjet printers should I buy" to respond with "i'd pick <number>, but i found a better printer which is still cheaper here <link> however i would recommend buying a laser printer because <put explanation of why laser printers are better here>

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I did offer advice for a laptop. I suggested 7 different laptop models for different budgets & I offered the OP to have me help him look for a better laptop. I also told him that the MSI one would probably be the better choice, as it has a better CPU (if the specs on those websites aren't false). But I think it would be stupid not to at least tell him about the option of buying a desktop, because again, it's superior in almost every way.

Similarly, I think it would only be reasonable when someone asks "guys which of these 2 inkjet printers should I buy" to respond with "i'd pick <number>, but i found a better printer which is still cheaper here <link> however i would recommend buying a laser printer because <put explanation of why laser printers are better here>
He's obviously asking for a laptop for a reason. Hence why I deduced he needed portability ^^

iHogi

Reaction score
Omg my head is going through sooo much processing, I'm at the point on which one to choose D:

• Confusing
Reactions: Hunter

iHogi

Reaction score
Ok so I decided what to do, I'm going to buy a custom pc, because I see where you guys are getting to, but I don't know how to choose the parts and stuff, but I searched this good custom pc, I don't know if its good or not, but tell me and if i need to change something out.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pqn3WZ

Here's the video to:

• Winner
Reactions: Velzerat and Duffie

Velzerat

Donor
Reaction score
It seems decent enough (processor is good, gpu is fantastic), but I think you could get something better. If you give me your max. budget (I'm assuming it's $700?) I can have a look at it & have some other people take a look at it as well!

EDIT: Also, keep in mind this does not include any monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. If you want me to, give me your "full" budget, including peripherals like that, and I'll include those in a pcpartpicker thing as well!

iHogi

Reaction score
My max is $750. My friend said get the evo gtx 970 instead , it's more trusted and I already found my peripherals

Reactions: 1 person

iHogi

Reaction score
I don't know if I should get the razer blackwidow chroma or the corsair k70?

Velzerat

Donor
Reaction score
They're both good. Watch this video and base your decision on that:
It's a a pretty good comparison video. Anyway, I looked over the build and had some other people look over it as well, and it's actually a really good one. You've got pretty much the maximum you could out of that budget. The only thing I'd suggest is buying a 128GB SSD instead of a 1TB HDD & buy a HDD later, but it might not be worth it.

(And about the graphics card, while i think the EVO one is great, it seems like the MSI/GIGABYTE ones are the most liked right now, but honestly it's not that big of a deal. You'll notice a maybe 5 fps difference.)