What to do with the stairs/towers?

What should we do that it isnt hard to claim towers/stairs?

• Ban all that make towers /stairs(without the /shop towers)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Give blocks, enderpearl, bow and arrows in hunter kits

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • The towers/stairs have to be 2 blocks wide

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Make a low limit on all maps

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Do that it is hard for the survivors to get blocks(remove axes, shears, etc)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • None above

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing I like how it is now

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheWeakGuy48_

Geezuslike
Donor
Mafia Host
Reaction score
There have been many threads about towers, but I cant see what the mostly of AoD peoples wants. So I made this thread, to find out the best solution about the towers/stairs. As you know there is some maps that is very popular to create towers/stairs at. Those maps can be very hard for the hunters to claim. The most popular maps to make stairs/towers at is: 747, Colosseum, Avenguard_keep, Contaimed and Snochville. There are towers on those maps many times and for the hunters it feels unfair. So we have to find the solution about this. The mostly is said already(on other threads) so yes.

Arachadonic

Reaction score
Website
www.watchingyou.com
I believe Baker already said that he and the other staff are coming up with a solution behind the scenes so we probably just have to patient.
That said I think lowering the height build limit would be the easiest and best solution since both sides win. You can still tower just not rediculously big.

• Agree
Reactions: Airkid

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I believe Baker already said that he and the other staff are coming up with a solution behind the scenes so we probably just have to patient.
That said I think lowering the height build limit would be the easiest and best solution since both sides win. You can still tower just not rediculously big.
I'll agree to this point, although if you have ever played contaminated and gotten the eff 2 stone axe, you don't need to build a tower, just go to the highest point in the map and build one incredibly long path XD
I've seen Danni122112 do it before, and ive tried it as well, its kind of ridiculous, so in some cases removal of tools that allow for that kind of thing might be a good idea too.

• Agree
Reactions: RyanDodd

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll agree to this point, although if you have ever played contaminated and gotten the eff 2 stone axe, you don't need to build a tower, just go to the highest point in the map and build one incredibly long path XD
I've seen Danni122112 do it before, and ive tried it as well, its kind of ridiculous, so in some cases removal of tools that allow for that kind of thing might be a good idea too.
Removing the eff II stone axe at contaminated and the iron axe would of course help greatly at that map.

Arachadonic

Reaction score
Website
www.watchingyou.com
The only issue with changing the tools in maps, which I think I saw before mentioned, is that the last thing the high staff want to do is restrict map makers creative juices. However I do see where you are coming from.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Frankly, the selection of purist tower maps is diminishing, and I think the ones we have are nice and fun. You'll rarely see a complete 747 tower survive a round (provided I'm not the Dark Hunter), Snochille generally doesn't have enough blocks to make a huge one, unless a large team deliberately set out to do so, (and the usual little midget towers are fun to attack and defend). Avengard Keep is usually in the same boat as Snochille, the sky pathways in Contaminated can be traversed easily with pearls, and the potions make it easy to dispatch campers with bows. Colloseum has a lot of trees and stuff to make a tower, but there's so many other paths to follow (that yield better results) that many people abandon the idea; (there's brewing, enchanted books and anvils, the beacon, secret hiding spots, and there used to be enchanting and Withers! Plenty of better stuff than a little tower!)

These maps are generally pretty ok for gameplay, it's just these people who have learned to hate like a hater from the more extreme tower maps, or tower maps that haven't been nerfed to this nice standard.

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
Here's the issue with setting a low limit on the maps: it renders the large /shop towers useless. Just because you buy a tower doesn't mean that the height limit changes. This would inevitably cause players to waste their brains on the large towers only to find out that they cannot use climb all the way to the top without breaking the height limit, and in some cases, causing them to die due to lack of paying attention to the height warnings. This would cause a lot of players to rage and be unhappy.

Because of this, I lean more towards the two block width for all towers. It's not an unreasonable change, but it will be effective. Large towers can still be made using teamwork, but teamwork in building is very rare these days.

Here's why I'm against the other options: inb4 tl;dr

-Banning all towers that our outside of the /shop will make the game less fun and less challenging for all of those who care about survival more than PvP (like me.)

-Giving hunters more stuff (especially ender pearls) would cause a severe imbalance between hunters and survivors, and hunters would inevitably win much, much more than the survivors. This is especially true for those who don't use towers.

-Removing items from chests/kits that help players obtain blocks would do absolutely nothing to those dedicated to making towers by hand. The reason being is that players, such as I, usually break down trees for wood to create tools to harvest blocks. If anything, it would only be a minor setback for those who make towers.

-Doing nothing about it is a poor option because everyone already complains about towers, and of course, it would do nothing to solve it. Something does need to be done, but it must be reasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: MustabearXD

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
There have been many threads about towers, but I cant see what the mostly of AoD peoples wants. So I made this thread, to find out the best solution about the towers/stairs. As you know there is some maps that is very popular to create towers/stairs at. Those maps can be very hard for the hunters to claim. The most popular maps to make stairs/towers at is: 747, Colosseum, Avenguard_keep, Contaimed and Snochville. There are towers on those maps many times and for the hunters it feels unfair. So we have to find the solution about this. The mostly is said already(on other threads) so yes.
I guess you haven't noticed any of the height restriction's I gave baker to put in. I am aware a few are still not put in but as soon as I see what one's aren't put in ill be messaging Baker about it. Then I based all of these height restriction's on one thing. The height of the map where you can get without editing any block's. This way no map's would have the top's of them cut off. There are a few map's like this and I'm aware of it. Survivors are making long path's into the sky now and I will be looking for little solutions to counter this but they wont be big changes like making all towers 2 blocks wide or anything like that. I'm against any of that. Then back to what the other height restriction's. I'll use snowchill for example. This is a rather flat map so map's like this I put the restricted Y 50 blocks above spawn. Some map's are like this and that's how I based it off of. This way we have some control on how high a tower will be made and it's easier for the hunter's to get to them without climbing 100 blocks up in the sky. I hope this explains a bit more on how I based the restricted Y's on map's. No more changes will be made on the restricted Y's on map's in less it get's out of control like last time but like I said. I will be making small changes to hopefully counter the long staircases now.

• Thank You

TheWeakGuy48_

Geezuslike
Donor
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I guess you haven't noticed any of the height restriction's I gave baker to put in. I am aware a few are still not put in but as soon as I see what one's aren't put in ill be messaging Baker about it. Then I based all of these height restriction's on one thing. The height of the map where you can get without editing any block's. This way no map's would have the top's of them cut off. There are a few map's like this and I'm aware of it. Survivors are making long path's into the sky now and I will be looking for little solutions to counter this but they wont be big changes like making all towers 2 blocks wide or anything like that. I'm against any of that. Then back to what the other height restriction's. I'll use snowchill for example. This is a rather flat map so map's like this I put the restricted Y 50 blocks above spawn. Some map's are like this and that's how I based it off of. This way we have some control on how high a tower will be made and it's easier for the hunter's to get to them without climbing 100 blocks up in the sky. I hope this explains a bit more on how I based the restricted Y's on map's. No more changes will be made on the restricted Y's on map's in less it get's out of control like last time but like I said. I will be making small changes to hopefully counter the long staircases now.

But what on maps like Contaimed and other maps that isnt flat?

EDIT:
Snochille generally doesn't have enough blocks to make a huge one, unless a large team deliberately set out to do so, (and the usual little midget towers are fun to attack and defend). Avengard Keep is usually in the same boat as Snochille, the sky pathways in Contaminated can be traversed easily with pearls,
I am agreed with Snochville but not on Contaimed and Avenguard_Keep. On contaimed you can get Iron axe and stone axe eff II, and if yu build tower from y:40 and up to y:83(is the limmit) it isnt posibble to pearl up so high and actually came right there you tried to get at. And in Avanguard_Keep you can get a shear, that you get like 3 stacks and 20 leaves from. And that is much. When I built stairs on Avanguuard_Keep we actually couldent see down with 'far'

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
Then I based all of these height restriction's on one thing. The height of the map where you can get without editing any block's. This way no map's would have the top's of them cut off. There are a few map's like this and I'm aware of it. Survivors are making long path's into the sky now and I will be looking for little solutions to counter this but they wont be big changes like making all towers 2 blocks wide or anything like that. I'm against any of that.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
One day, people will dislike being survivors because it will be too easy for hunters to kill them and then everyone will complain yet again.

• Agree
Reactions: Thymos

Natsu

The Flaming Dragon Op
Reaction score
Actually, even if we lower the height restriction, people will make a new thing called "pathways", which are way more rage-inducing than towers. My thought is that maybe we should limit the amount of blocks placed for all survivors, like Zombie Survival. Maybe like, around 25/30 blocks?

• Dislike
Reactions: Friendy
Reaction score
Actually, even if we lower the height restriction, people will make a new thing called "pathways", which are way more rage-inducing than towers. My thought is that maybe we should limit the amount of blocks placed for all survivors, like Zombie Survival. Maybe like, around 25/30 blocks?
The problem is that then discourages most actual building and block placing. Even then, you could still just get a huge group of survivors together to make a huge staircase/pathway.

Arachadonic

Reaction score
Website
www.watchingyou.com
I personally have begun to find that these "pathways" are way more fustrating than staircases as at least with staircases you have cover whereas these "paths" leave you completely open to being knocked easily off by arrows. So maybe we should be focusing on these as opposed to staircases, which frankly are not that hard nor impossible to over-throw.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Why are we trying to remove everything rather than fixing the current issue that is staircases, just modify the way they can be made rather than removing every damn thing that helps survivors to survive on a survival based pvp server. I mean, I'm fine for the removal of staircases with /shop being the replacement, but removing every strategy that "annoys" the hunters because they don't know how to improvise on maps that you can very, very easily obtain blocks to tower below towers is actually quite irritating.

Sure, lowering the map height is a perfectly reasonable, and great way to fix the massive tower problem, but that is as far as it should go in my opinion, otherwise you are basically ruining the game-play; you might as well start limiting the way hunters can hunt.

• Disagree

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I personally have begun to find that these "pathways" are way more fustrating than staircases as at least with staircases you have cover whereas these "paths" leave you completely open to being knocked easily off by arrows. So maybe we should be focusing on these as opposed to staircases, which frankly are not that hard nor impossible to over-throw.
I agree, but what about the 1 block wide, player-made staircases? They are just as easy to get shot off of as the paths, if not more so.

Reaction score
I honestly like the pathways a LOT more. If there isn't 100+ blocks beneath the platform most people make, hunters can tower up, hunters can create barricades on the path, make an alternate path, use enderpearls, and actually shoot survivors. The pathways are a LOT less cheap than the one block wide huge staircases.

• Agree
Reactions: SirComputer

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I honestly like the pathways a LOT more. If there isn't 100+ blocks beneath the platform most people make, hunters can tower up, hunters can create barricades on the path, make an alternate path, use enderpearls, and actually shoot survivors. The pathways are a LOT less cheap than the one block wide huge staircases.
Pathway = Flat staircase but a lot funner to defend/hunt, if you have the blocks. Why don't we just replace the staircases with pathways then? Problem solved once more, as long as you have some blocks.

Chocfudgemud

Reaction score
I suggest on the most tower prone maps
Hunters should be given the ability to pillar
This would mean they could pillar under the tower and easily finish off survivors