What do you look for most in a AoD map

TheMFreak

Reaction score
I'm going to try my hand at making an AoD map as soon as BB is back up and running, and while I've played quiet a few of the current maps to get a feel for what works, and what doesn't, I want you opinions on what you are looking for in a really good AoD map.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Have a good balance throughout the map. That is, make sure all the good stuff isn't concentrated into one part of the map. However, make sure everything isn't too spread out. Don't make it easy to find anything, you don't want a chest around every single corner probably.

Find a nice theme that's unique and hasn't been done yet. It can be a bit hard, but maybe you can take inspiration from some of your favorite stories, games, and such?

When creating the map and designing, don't make the environment too hilly and such. You want an environment you can run around in and such. If there's lots of two+ block cliffs inhibiting the thrill of the chase, it can get really claustrophobic.

As well, don't be lazy. Lots of maps have giant air pockets under hills certain areas because the creator didn't want to fill in these air pockets. It really can take away from the feel. Also make sure to try to make land realistic. Dirt goes about 3 or 4 blocks down then it's stone down from there. Don't have the whole land made of dirt, unless you plan on having the players dig though the entire map.

Make the map varied. Sure, quad symmetry is nice, but it can be boring. Having lots of differing parts of a map makes it all the more exciting. Whether you should head to this certain group of buildings, or to these bunch of trees. Make it appealing to explore the whole map, rather than everyone head to the same basic points every time to grab certain objects. Players like to bunch up in spaces at high points, enclosed areas with plenty of supplies, and etc.

Try not to build a base for the survivors before the game has even started. They really shouldn't have an impenetrable fortress by simply waltzing in.

As well, try to be careful making towers. It can be an easy fortress for survivors and a concentration point. They can simply knock out the ladders or camp them. Aim for things like stairs or so, or alternate entrances. Remember, you want to try to make every part of the map appealing to the eyes of the survivor. Not just the easy to defend tower. Not just the room filled with goodies. Not the fort surrounded by obsidian.

• Spread things out
• Keep it interesting
• Make the map exciting to play every time

TheMFreak

Reaction score
Many thanks for the suggestions so far.... I just wish BB would boot back up so I can start conceptualizing.

Guinessis

Reaction score
Defiant already covered most of the main points, so I'll just say this.

Don't be afraid to make it fun. Named items? Go for it. Bizarre enchantments? Why not.

As long as the hunter kits are almost as powerful as some of the best gear in the chests, feel free to place as many potions, infinity bows, and TNT as you want. Try to break away from the warrior-archer-scout archetype and make the kits unique. Overpowered items only become an issue when they are unevenly distributed, so as long as you keep in mind that hunters will likely not have access to anything beyond what they spawn with and balance them accordingly, you should be OK.

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Guinessis

Reaction score
No dead ends or places that can be ridiculously easy to defend is also a good thing.
Ah yes, reiterating this. There have been a few maps with unintentional god-mode spots. If the only way to reach a survivor is through a narrow corridor or up a ladder, it is ridiculously easy for them to defend with a bow and arrow for the entire round. This is made even worse on no-build/no-break maps.

Always place another way around. It doesn't have to be convenient, it just has to exist.

• Useful
  • Winner
Reactions: Xfolo and Psycho

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
If your map has a theme, make sure the chests make sense. Put armor and weapons near a smithy, but not in a church (enchanted stuff there maybe). It helps the credibility of the map, and helps players find the items they want.

LEGOMAN2134

Reaction score
No OP items for 1 side while hunters get the scavenger kit.... (Happens all the time)
Some parkour to a good item, competition to get the best thing is great.
Enough chests for everyone (It's annoying to find noting all the match)
Iconic places or customized biomes make it more interesting and survival skills differ on the terrain (like a hightower with no water anywhere)
It's fun to have a theme (like sci-fi persay)
Tons of little houses/ landmarks

A great-ish example is Lilypad Crossing; It has good parkour, It has lots of chests, it has lots of landmarks, but somethings it lacks like tons of other maps, (OP items and areas)

Make it unique and have lots of fun!