Watch out for this, A scammer.

Mmarz11

Former AoD Dev
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep saying that you have to be extremely dumb to get hacked?
The site looked exactly like the steam site, In-fact I nearly fell for it.

The account that messaged me comes from a diffrent community I also play on, He's a member there and even had influence on the server. He was a smart clever guy and got his account hacked which is now being used for this, That happend half a year ago and there's been 57 reports of people that had this happen to them from that single user.

Yes, Noone fell for it because they knew it was TwoMike (The hacked account) and knew he would never do that, Plus that this guy had the worst english ever.

This is how the site looked, there's no indications to what the site is named in the screenshot and the only indication that could lead to this being a scam was the adress.

I'm not saying that only those who are dumb fall for scams. In this case, it seems quite obvious that it's a scam; he was constantly pushing you to input your credentials, saying the website, and also said that you hadn't inputted the information but how would he know? ;)

What I usually do if I see something like this is:
• Do I trust the person?
• Could the person have been hacked and is being used to spread?
• What is the message?
• Does the site look legit?
• What is the address look like? Does it hide the actual link? Is the address an obvious hosted elsewhere site?
• Would the actual site do this?

Lately, I've been getting a good amount of emails from friends that I used to play games with. The messages simply contained a link and it seems quite likely that they are being used to spread the link around. Also, the site didn't look like anything from anyone official so ya... Not getting me...

What I had done with a previous game was I copied the website's log in's source code and instead of it going to the log in page that it uses to check whether it is right or not, I changed it to a post.php similar to how forms are submitted and had it be posted on another page on the website. What I did was created a new account on the game and got a good amount of friends on it. Then I sent them messages with a link to the website I had made for this. If they inputted their username and password, then it would only post part of the password (that way I couldn't actually cause harm unless I was able to guess or brute force the rest of the password). A surprising amount of people put in passwords that weren't things like "scam" or "screw you" or other things similar to that. I also tried this with some of my actual friends and a few of them had also inputted their passwords (I explained and showed them the page where they were posted and they agreed that no one would be able to easily tell what their passwords were).

Bottom line, a lot of people can be fooled by scams and they don't have to be dumb to do so.

Summer10

Reaction score
Scamming doesn't limit itself to steam.
It can happen on any game, any forum and any website.
I got hacked on WoW, was an idiot for doing it but I learned my lesson in the end and got my account back... with the items and gold the scammer took, it is pretty obvious most of the time but here are my rules of the road...
  1. If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true...
  2. If they ask for your password for ANYTHING, it is a scam
  3. If they have really bad grammar and/or spelling, it is probably a scam
  4. If it seems to repeat constantly, practically BEGGING for your information, it is a scam
  5. If it is someone who seems *almost*official Like... [BlizzardGM] and instead is called [xBlizzardGMx] it is probably a scam so check before you reply to them

Fatalis

Reaction score
Ah, I remember last year when my account was compromised for about 4-5 hours after I fell for a scam and got it back via Steam Support.

Oh well, I stay offline on Steam nowadays mostly.