Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamsanity

Reaction score
Name of the map: The Trip
Creator(s): Tamrawr, some help from EnderSteve5 <3
Size:64x64
Biome:..Plains?
Screenshots, including timer areas (Do not use shaders or a custom resource pack!) :
http://imgur.com/a/usQgr#0 Imgur gallery (Thanks to EnderSteve5 for taking photos and uploading them<3<3)
If you included chests, then list the items that are contained in each of them (Optional): Bones, pretty much. One of the chests has a book in it.
Any block that you prefer to be no-break or no-drop?: All of the 'heads' that are placed around the map.
Any extra information about your map?: I wasn't sure where to place the timers, if you guys could help me out with better areas to put them, that'd be great. :^)
Download link (optional): http://smp.blocktopia.net/schematics/download.php?file=The_Trip.schematic

W

Wimali

First of all I'm going to thank you for creating a RoF map, because without people like you RoF would have the same old maps and it would get very boring, very quickly. Still, I have some criticism. While it's obvious that there was some work put into this map, I feel like it shouldn't get added to RoF. Here's why:

It's not very creative or original.
Every single part of this map already exists on the server- Plains (just look at any of my maps) and hardened clay caves (Candyland & that one map harold submitted which is basically full of hardened clay caves, don't remember the exact name). Most of the things in this map have been done before and attempts at being creative just seem... unfitting, as if they were put there just for the sake of having something new.

The map feels rushed, unfinished, and random.
I think you just felt making a RoF map, but didn't know what exactly to build so just started with something, and this is the result. Obvious WE spheres, odd-looking terrain, no real transition between the grass/dirt & hardened clay, random carpet towers (I assume these are intentional?) and some random giant mushrooms + trees with glass as leaves because why the hell not? It just doesn't really make sense to me, and it looks to me like the map doesn't really have a theme.

Anyway, do with this what you want, it's my completely personal opinion of course. Maybe sounds kind of harsh, but I just thought I'd be completely truthful.

Reaction score
This map is really eye-catching, although I think that you could smooth the top of the map a little more
also, remember to take screenies with the custom texture pack normal texture pack ofc next time ;)
overall, I think this is a really nice map, and I hope to see it ingame!

Last edited:
W

Wimali

also, remember to take screenies with the custom texture pack next time ;)
Screenshots, including timer areas (Do not use shaders or a custom resource pack!)

EDIT: Actually, I didn't even notice the screenshots were taken with Faithful. I feel like that resource pack should be allowed anyway, the difference is almost non-existant for judging purposes.

• Disagree
Reactions: ghostbuster333

Tamsanity

Reaction score
Wimali; Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it.
This was my first map creation and I wanted to make something trippy, and thought-provoking.
There's a lot of.. 'goodies' underground, too. Including things like the color scheme darkening towards the bottom, invoking a spooky feel. There's skulls all around and poppy flowers with 'blood' surrounding them, zombie heads on poles surrounding a fire pit, signs that prompt you to 'wake up' accompanied by empty beds, doors that don't lead anywhere, etc etc.
I dunno. I wanted to do something that expressed my nonsensical building technique. :^)

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Tamrawr's objective when making this map was to make something random, something trippy, that would make you go "wtf is dis". The WE spheres... yes, those should've been avoided. I tried and remove as much as I could, but apparently there were still some left. Not surprising, since I didn't really help tam on this map much, this is (mostly) her creation. That said, I do believe that when the obvious mistakes, such as the WE spheres get fixed, it will be a map that can be added to the rotation, since I believe that it is not a bad map at all.
And yes, I did use Vattic's Faithful when taking the pics, but since it's basically just HD default, I figured it was ok.

• Informative

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
The undeground in this map is nice, but that's the only creative/ out of ordinary thing in this map.
The whole top of the map just looks plain- grass and mushrooms- we at RoF don't really like those maps anymore. I like the idea of you wanting to make it trippy with the colourfull trees on top, but it's not enough, the grass and the spheres look boring.
If you want to make this different try changing the grass block into something more creative, something that really brings out the whole trippy thing.

Tamsanity

Reaction score
Mhmmm, I get what you guys are saying.
My reasoning for using the grass is to contrast with the depths of the underground area, I like how you're just hanging out on the grasslands and the only thing unusual is the steve heads, mushrooms and glass trees. And then you peer over a bridge and you just stare for a second like, what the- who the- juST WHAT.
To me, it seems the underground area is more than enough to suffice for a 'creative' aspect on this map, considering how large it is, and how many goodies there are, depths to explore and resources to collect and build from as you like.

I'm currently working on this map and fixing errors as I see them, I appreciate the feedback and I think you guys will be satisfied with the outcome. c:

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.