Unofficial Blocktopia Builder's advice, tips and tricks thread.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
So, i've been needing lots of building advice lately. So I decided to make a thread about it.

If YOU are a good builder, post your advice for others (not just me) here.

Even though im an AdvBuilder, I still look for other's advice to learn off of. I've tried to make my own "tips and tricks" thread, but, im bad at explaining, and its not all too helpful. :/ so if YOU have advice, or techniques, post them here for other Builders, even AdvBuilders to learn off of. Because, as an AdvBuilder myself, I rely on others for inspiration and advice to increase my skill level. So please, even if you're still just a player, if you feel you hold good advice, let it all out. Me, and so many others would love to hear it. C:

Welcome, to the official Blocktopia's Builders advice, tips and tricks thread.

P.S. Master JubJubers, pleeaasse share yo building secrets. We need them. (we won't steal your ideas)

Last edited:

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
EDIT: is there already a thread about this? If so, this won't be as unique as hoped. :(

Can't edit post atm, so go ahead and merge these please? Appologys though. Hope its not too much to merge threads.

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
DEPTH
I cannot stress this enough, if your walls have depth, i.e. you use about 2-3 blocks of wall.
It allows for much more design, detail, and surprisingly color, the shadows casted adds a good look.

curves
I dunno i think adding a circular edge or even a complet circle in a predominately square game looks nice.

block choice
dont choose gold diamond and iron blocks to build with, choose a pallete that compliments itself, this also allows to help with a theme

theme
honestly not that big on my list; as long as you use similar block choice you are able to bring in a vareity of different building techniques

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Try taking searching for pictures to use as references. Like this one:
Most of my maps are inspired by games like Half-Life and IRL buildings, Just take a rough reference picture and start building using the theme from it,

Listening to music also works, Listening to sad music while building a dungeon, Or listening to heavy combat music when building things like a war zone, I myself listen to the Black Mesa Soundtrack composed by Joel Nielsen,
Also when wanting to make randomized patterns try using the //recplace command using PERCENTAGES, For example: You want a wall currently of stone to be 50% cobblestone and 50% stone, simply select the wall and do this: //replace stone 50%cobblestone,50%stone
This works with everything, just use //replace <Material you wanna replace> <Percentage>%<Block>,<Percentage>%<Block>
(Note: DON'T forget the comma (,))
For details use half-slabs and stairs.
And of course from time to time ask people for advice on your map.
Now *Sigh* Curves, you don't need to be a mathematician for this but knowing the String of Fibonacci helps out with this:
The string of Fibonacci:
Its simple: you start with 0 and 1, you add then and you get 1, you add your current number with the last one: 1+1 = 2 and do the same: 2+1 = 3, And again, 3+2 = , etc etc
How does this help with curves?
Lets say a fairly big but not huge curve,
take 21,
Make a L shape of both sides 21 blocks, then INSIDE of that L shape make another L of 1 fibonacci number lower than the last (13)
You'll get this:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Repeat... (8) The end result will be this:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XOVVVVVVVV
XOVCCCCC
XOVCZZZ
XOVCZM
XOVCZ
XOVC
XOV
XOV
XO
XO
XO
XO
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Now cut the edges away.
and you have yourself a perfect curve.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Try taking searching for pictures to use as references. Like this one:
Most of my maps are inspired by games like Half-Life and IRL buildings, Just take a rough reference picture and start building using the theme from it,

Listening to music also works, Listening to sad music while building a dungeon, Or listening to heavy combat music when building things like a war zone, I myself listen to the Black Mesa Soundtrack composed by Joel Nielsen,
Also when wanting to make randomized patterns try using the
\/
//recplace command using PERCENTAGES, For example: You want a wall currently of stone to be 50% cobblestone and 50% stone, simply select the wall and do this: //replace stone 50%cobblestone,50%stone
This works with everything, just use //replace <Material you wanna replace> <Percentage>%<Block>,<Percentage>%<Block>
(Note: DON'T forget the comma (,))
For details use half-slabs and stairs.
And of course from time to time ask people for advice on your map.
Now *Sigh* Curves, you don't need to be a mathematician for this but knowing the String of Fibonacci helps out with this:
The string of Fibonacci:
Its simple: you start with 0 and 1, you add then and you get 1, you add your current number with the last one: 1+1 = 2 and do the same: 2+1 = 3, And again, 3+2 = , etc etc
How does this help with curves?
Lets say a fairly big but not huge curve,
take 21,
Make a L shape of both sides 21 blocks, then INSIDE of that L shape make another L of 1 fibonacci number lower than the last (13)
You'll get this:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Repeat... (8) The end result will be this:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XOVVVVVVVV
XOVCCCCC
XOVCZZZ
XOVCZM
XOVCZ
XOVC
XOV
XOV
XO
XO
XO
XO
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Now cut the edges away.
and you have yourself a perfect curve.
Um, that algorithem will take lots of thinking to understand. Also, as I found out, to get a specific pattern for a floor or wall, with World Edit, first select your region of what will be repeated in a grid to make a pattern, then do //copy, then select a region in which your pattern will be placed, then do //set #clipboard. And you have a pattern! Go give it a try!

JtTorso

Reaction score
I'll throw in my few cents, seeing as to how this thread hasn't gotten a lot of attention.

Here's a list of advice I'd give anyone in no order of importance.

Ask for advice. Ask your peers, your friends, builders, advbuilders, ops, admins, anyone who you think has more experience with building than you do. If you think something could be improved, or if you don't have ideas, or if you even have to second guess something you've built, simply ask someones opinion on a particular part or the build as a whole.

Build, build, keep building. It sounds corny, but it's some of the best advice I've been given. It's a lot like drawing, your skills will only improve the more you do it. A large bulk of the advbuilders are people who have been doing it since classic, that's at least two years worth of building, so don't feel bad if you think yourself an inferior builder. Some have been doing it longer, some just have a knack for it.

References, use them. If I'm building something I'm unfamiliar with I check to see if someone else has done it in Minecraft. I'll google, for example, "Minecraft pirate ship" and I'll find a couple reference images that I like the most or if they have bits I like I'll take them and attempt to incorporate them into my own building. Using real life, or other (paintings, concepts, drawings, etc) of a specific type of building is also just as much of a useful idea as specifically finding references for something done in minecraft, your not always going to find good images of what you're trying to build.

Finally, take ideas. I take screenshots of all kinds of buildings I like on BB, sometimes I'll fly around on plots taking screenshots of elements of builds I like. Why do I do this? So I can use those ideas for myself! Sure, plagiarism is a bad thing, but don't build something block for block. Take ideas and combine them and use them with your own style, find what works for you. Everyone has their own way of building a house, down to the shape of the roof to the blocks they chose.

These are the four things I would give as general advice to anyone who inquires on how to improve their building skill. Obviously if I were presented a building and asked how to improve it my advice would be far more specific and detailed, but for overall advice, this is in my opinion the best tips I could give to anyone.