To disable team swiching + allow spectating

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
If there was a method to store variables in an array, and delete them all after an elapsed time, I would be able to set up a system for this: Preventing team changes to the team with the winning score by storing the players name as the team variable they joined at the start. It's probably possible but the actual script used would be in Destroyer's know how more than mine.

There was an idea of me setting up the $red and $blue count as variables and sending you to the other team if you entered a portal which was full, and this would only take effect after 60 seconds of the round, however preliminary testing wasn't good.

Spectators were never really approved for, as it would confuse players and we'd rather people fight rather than watch. Watching is reserved for the tournament games whenever they're active, mind you. In addition, the FFA scheme, and players who are spectators in the TNTWars world are considered 'rogues' like in the FFA scheme, and can be active even in non-FFA games as everyones enemy + enemy of every rogue.

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
We're never going to have spectators in a game. People wouldn't know at a glance if they are part of a team or not. We also want people to play the game, not just watch others doing it.

As for random teams, I like people to have a choice on what team they go on. Yes, it causes problems at times, but I prefer it that way and I know a lot of people do because some have a preferred team to play on as long as it doesn't mess up the numbers on each.

• Agree
Reactions: Dah_Bomb

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
I agree with what Sam has said. I would much rather leave it up to the players to decide which team they want to go on, and put up with having to do the occasional force every now and then, rather than forcing everyone to go on a random team. People deserve to choose the team the fight for, and as stated if people play with friends and such. Also if someone wasn't on the team they wanted they could moan and whine. Not needed.

hihihilolHI

Reaction score
Maybe there could be a system where the server can detect if a player has been on 2 teams within one round, and auto-kick/warn them (blahblahblah has been auto-kicked for team switching, and on the players screen, Auto-kick: Teamswitching Detected). Players switched by staff or staff switching themselves wouldn't get kicked.

billbobelf

Reaction score
But what if you want to play on the same team as your friends?
I guess you can ask an op to add you to the team :)

We're never going to have spectators in a game. People wouldn't know at a glance if they are part of a team or not. We also want people to play the game, not just watch others doing it.

As for random teams, I like people to have a choice on what team they go on. Yes, it causes problems at times, but I prefer it that way and I know a lot of people do because some have a preferred team to play on as long as it doesn't mess up the numbers on each.
thats why they would be invisible as stated above

I do believe this has been suggested before.
Not sure though
im not sure either

I agree with what Sam has said. I would much rather leave it up to the players to decide which team they want to go on, and put up with having to do the occasional force every now and then, rather than forcing everyone to go on a random team. People deserve to choose the team the fight for, and as stated if people play with friends and such. Also if someone wasn't on the team they wanted they could moan and whine. Not needed.
yes i had not really thought of that but an op online can swich them (and an op always needs to be online :) )

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
On the point about not letting players choose teams without Operators: Isn't the whole point of your idea to decrease the amount of work that Operators need to do and so they don't have to manually force players onto teams? What's the point if Operators have to go and place players on teams? I think this will add more work than before, as I can imagine players wanting to be with friends occurs more often than unbalanced teams.

And on spectators: Why should players be taking up spots where people who actually want to play could join in? And if spectating is only allowed while there are free spots, what exactly is the point? TNT is not a chill, relax, and talk server. It's a constant fighting and fast action server, so we don't need spectators to narrate the server by spectating.

DJJonosound

Ex CTNT/PTNT Op
Reaction score
On the point about not letting players choose teams without Operators: Isn't the whole point of your idea to decrease the amount of work that Operators need to do and so they don't have to manually force players onto teams?
This is our job... we just do it.. no biggie.. its what we are here for..
Enough stuff is automated already.. if everything is automated we have no reason to be here..
thats why they would be invisible as stated above
Its been suggested many times before. It probably will never happen. People will just spec, not play and boom, what the hell is the point of even having the server in the first place.

• Agree
Reactions: billbobelf

DJJonosound

Ex CTNT/PTNT Op
Reaction score
So, let's add stuff that adds work for Operators?
No, lets not make us useless. Its not going to add work because its already there.. I am saying we dont need it..because we are there..
Lets use logic; why on earth would I say that; 4 staff online can have trouble sometimes providing there are enough players. I dont think team switching is that much of a problem because people dont do it ofter.. so there is no use adding an automation system when there are a bunch of staff willing to sort it out...
most of the time

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
No, lets not make us useless. Its not going to add work because its already there.. I am saying we dont need it..because we are there..
Lets use logic; why on earth would I say that; 4 staff online can have trouble sometimes providing there are enough players. I dont think team switching is that much of a problem because people dont do it ofter.. so there is no use adding an automation system when there are a bunch of staff willing to sort it out...
most of the time
I think you completely missed which side of the discussion I was on...

billbobelf

Reaction score
most of the time
(i like the 'most of the time' :p