TNT Improvement Suggestions

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that this Community's TNT server is officially dead because after playing just one game, I think slight improvements can be made to improve the player experience. I haven't asked tnmjimbob if he plans to work on it or leave it up, so that is why I decided to make this thread.

• Add sprint --- I'm sure that the server was made to replicate the classic gamemode feel, but maybe sprinting will make the gamemode feel a bit more fast-paced than it does right now.
  • Extend the TNT explosion time by a half a second or one second --- Right now a player can't run from their placed TNT safely which easily causes them to die from their own TNT.
  • Shorten rounds - I've only played one game, but the 10 minutes that I played fell quite long. I think 5 minutes (or shorter) would be suitable for a TNT gamemode that involves fast-paced movement and explosions.
  • 1v1 style rounds - This would be nice for when there aren't many players on. It could be a quick 2-minute round with a limited amount of weapons (tnt and pistol) which have unlimited uses.

If you guys have additional suggestions and feedback then feel free to post them.

Reactions: HKCaper

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I was (am) one of the biggest classic fans but we have to accept that trying to bring back these servers is pointless except for a very short event, for like 1 evening. The reasons why classic servers were popular and successful just aren't there anymore and sadly will never return. Right, if we want to continue with TnT the AoD version should be improved or reworked but the classic version is simply outdated. It's awesome that tnm went through the trouble of getting a working classic like version but I don't think it can be more than just an event.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I was (am) one of the biggest classic fans but we have to accept that trying to bring back these servers is pointless except for a very short event, for like 1 evening. The reasons why classic servers were popular and successful just aren't there anymore and sadly will never return. Right, if we want to continue with TnT the AoD version should be improved or reworked but the classic version is simply outdated. It's awesome that tnm went through the trouble of getting a working classic like version but I don't think it can be more than just an event.
Hm, good point. I know that this community can't rely on nostalgia to bring back players - that has been done to death already, but I think that TNT as a standalone gamemode would be a nice addition to what we already have once tweaks and such are done to improve gameplay.

AoD's TNT gamemode is nice but it could be updated. Compared to Classic TNT though, AoD TNT has a secondary level of gameplay which requires players to protect their Core, so yeah, it could be seen as a more involved game than what Classic has which is pretty much "spam tnt until you kill someone". If AoD TNT added Cannons and was a standalone server then maybe I'd change my mind about Classic TNT, but right now, if Classic was improved upon then I think it should stay.

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Eh, from the moment I stepped into the server things just didn't feel right. Call it personal preference if you must, but it just didn't feel like Classic TNT. It just felt like a slower, more sluggish version of our AoD TNT gamemode. The ability to see the blocks your opponents were holding, the shifting and the ability to hear your opponent near you e.g. block placing and breaking, all ruined the potential strategies you used to be able to apply to this game. Admittedly I was never that good at TNT but I really enjoyed stealthily placing TNT at obscure locations while being chased and catching my opponents unaware, which really balanced things out for me whenever there was a team imbalance. Attempts at addressing the weaknesses of TNT (reducing the cooldown, increasing the blast radius) ended up straying further from the classic way TNT used to be played and enjoyed. I know a few of us really wanted TNT to be hosted on Classicube because the gameplay would be smoother there without all the additional premium MC effects, but understandably wasn't because the maps were only available in premium and recreating them in Classic would take too much effort. That didn't stop me from wishing they were hosted there, however.

Another problem was timing and nostalgia. Firstly, TNT was released at a very bad timing. From what I heard it collided with AP examinations (?) and many others I know were having exams too. It would probably have been better to release them in the middle of summer holidays. The second was simply that the nostalgia had worn out. Positioning the release of TNT close to the two zombie events only meant that our memories were still fresh from classic zombie and our cravings of minecraft classic satisfied. Let's face the truth. Our current playerbase is more geared towards premium, and the newer players would probably play classic TNT to satisfy their curiosity of how the "good old days" used to be, not for the gameplay value. The older players who love classic have mostly left and some have probably returned too late to this event such that a chance of revival was near impossible.

That being said, I still really appreciate Tnm going through all the trouble of coding TNT from scratch, thank you so much for that.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, classic events will never last, and shouldnt be intended for that either, a server like this is great for a weekend though.

I personally enjoyed our Premium TNT server a lot. I think it used premium mechanics in a good way and had a lot of fun on it. Playing CTNT and seeing the maps from PTNT made me nostalgic towards PTNT actually. Shame it did not work out, as the dev dissapeared, so we will probably never see premium TNT again, but I guess we can bring this "classic" version out from time to time.

Some of Psychos suggestions might be a good idea if we choose to do that. (pls sprint)