[Suggestion] War

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
So, I'm learning about one of the many wars this world has had in my history class, and it got me thinking. What if, say everyone other week, an event could be hosted after the meeting. Players could sign up using a google docs form, stating there in-game name and which team they would like to be on "Hunters" or "Survivors"(Using the two teams the server already has). This way, if friends want to be on the same team, or different teams, they can agree which team to sign up on, and if they are balanced, they can be balanced afterwards. There could be special maps made for the even as well, or just use the maps we have, but probably better to have larger maps. Each team would start on one side of the map, and they would start running over to the center, where an elimination battle could begin. There could be kits to choose from, such as "Archer" or "Knight" or "Medic" and other classes we can think of. Each team would also wear a colored tunic so they would know which team they were on, and they cant take it off, but they can have other armor on. Chests could be hidden around the map as well like regular maps. Everyone would have a fair amount of food, and, I think there should be some health potions, but not potions like poison or strength, so the fight will last longer.

I'm just trying to get all my ideas in my head down, I know it's not organised the best, but let me know what you guys think, any questions or criticism I'll be glad to respond to.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I really like this idea, but the hunters would somehow need to have their pumpkins off or they would be at a disadvantage because they would have one less armor piece. Really like this idea if it can be done.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fruit

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
Ooh, yeah, I was thinking of leaving them on, but you do bring up a good point about the disadvantage of armor. If the pumpkin heads could be removed, that would be good, or maybe make up what they loose in armor they can make up in their weapons, if it can't be removed.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Ooh, yeah, I was thinking of leaving them on, but you do bring up a good point about the disadvantage of armor. If the pumpkin heads could be removed, that would be good, or maybe make up what they loose in armor they can make up in their weapons, if it can't be removed.
Hunters can deal with more damage anyway, so it's equaled out ;)
I like the idea of starting with two balanced teams, hunters and survivors. Maybe it could be a round like juggernaut where it comes every now and then, or TAG where certain maps are war maps, other than having to fill out a form for every time you want to join it. However, I think it might be impossible. We will have to see what the developers can do.
But what will happen when you die? Do you get teleported back to the lobby? Or maybe you could somehow spectate, get put into an area to watch the war.
Thanks for submitting an idea!

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
But what will happen when you die? Do you get teleported back to the lobby? Or maybe you could somehow spectate, get put into an area to watch the war.
Thanks for submitting an idea!
I'm hoping it is possible, but when you die, maybe you would go back to lobby (still in aod) but then you get a spectator kit, and you are invisible, but you are not allowed to break or hit anyone, and you cannot type to help out your team. Oh, and maybe since players can communicate through other forms, maybe it would be better off not being able to spectate.
Maybe it could be a round like juggernaut where it comes every now and then, or TAG where certain maps are war maps, other than having to fill out a form for every time you want to join it.
As for this, I had put this into consideration, but I figured, if we did it as an event, more people would come, it would be bad for it to come up when not many people around.
Although, maybe it could be set to be picked only when there is a certain amount of people on. However, I think it could be better to have it on a set date so it can be more organised. And, if the google docs form would be too much of a hassle, we could have the set date, and when people joined, they would be put on a random team.
EDIT: Wow, I really messed that up with the quotes earlier xD

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
So, whats the difference from a normal AoD round? Rounds can have a set time, so you can get a normal round to last like 30 minutes for a big map, so, what I think is that it would be better as a map, since im not sure how easy this stuff would be to code :x

• Agree
Reactions: MustabearXD

ealev

Leafy Op
Reaction score
The main problem has already been pointed out, the difference of damage/armor with the hunter.
Other than that, I like the idea. Sounds like it could be pretty fun.

Marlem

Your local hall haunter
Reaction score
For this suggestion, instead of it being survivor vs hunter, why not let it be similar to a faction war? Each faction would be equal in everything. Each person would be put into teams randomly. The winner would only be decided by skill.

Marlem

Your local hall haunter
Reaction score
For this suggestion, instead of it being survivor vs hunter, why not let it be similar to a faction war? Each faction would be equal in everything. Each person would be put into teams randomly. The winner would only be decided by skill.
But then it isn't AoD anymore ;)
Armies of light vs armies of darkness.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
I guess it does not matter what the teams are called, but it would be a lot easier to leave it as hunters vs survivors imo.
The main problem has already been pointed out, the difference of damage/armor with the hunter.
Other than that, I like the idea. Sounds like it could be pretty fun.
and as for this we can either some how make it that the pumpkin heads are off or
Hunters can deal with more damage anyway, so it's equaled out ;)

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I don't know how about this. It sounds too familiar with TNT's team deathmatch and such. We don't really want to have the same concept on similar servers do we?

D

DarkHender

For me when reading this it sounds like a giant planned event, not something that happens all the time.
Such as the forum sign ups.

It sounds like a lot of fun but with the limit of 24 people on AoD.. and if I'm thinking it'd be a big event.. Hello to a lot of people trying to join! Other than that it sounds fun as heck and I really hope we can find a way to make this happen.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
It seems to me what seems to be happening is that there are some people who see no point in the event, and some people who seem to be all for the idea. I am glad for all of the comments this has gotten, good or bad. Also:
I like the idea but wouldn't affect me as I'm never on after or during the meeting.
For this, maybe (if there is a lot of people signing up) there can be multiple battles on one day based on time zones. Keep it at two teams, and have each battle in the day be separate battles of a big war with different sections of each side fighting the battles. This could also help this:
It sounds like a lot of fun but with the limit of 24 people on AoD.. and if I'm thinking it'd be a big event.. Hello to a lot of people trying to join!
because with people joining different sections of their army and having seperate battles, it could amount to less players on at once, but still enough for a fun match.
As I'm typing this, it's also making me think that this could have a whole story line, which I am willing to try and type up if you guys want.
This could really turn into a big event, keeping a record of wins and losses for each side. And people can decide to leave/join at any time, so if you sign up, you don't like it, you can just leave, or you can't make a match one week, let someone know, your spot can be attempted to be filled in for that week, or some other solution could be made. Also, if you don't join, because you're not sure if it's going to be good or not, and people tell you it's good, you can join.
(I like it when ideas come to my head.)
If you have any ideas, be sure to post them :)

Reactions: Excepted

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
The chances of this making it into AoD are pretty slim but I've been thinking a lot recently to make some small plugin(s) for an event server that maybe runs for a couple of days/week that works like you describe, Ninja - Dark you pretty much summed it up.

When you join this server you would have only one opportunity to pick one of 2 teams (or FFA), randomly spawn in the world that provides random items in chests for resources. Need a reason to establish some base and do something with it... + a few more ideas to make it more challenging/fun than vanilla SMP and varied enough so it isn't just a copy of what we already have.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
Ok, well, the whole story forming in my head was related to Hunters and Survivors, and, with your new ideas coming around (with, btw, I really like) no need to go any further with that.

But, your event server does sound like a really fun idea, and even though this most likely won't be on AoD, I can't wait to see how it comes out! :D Thanks Listings.

Reaction score
This is a great idea! I would love to see this put into action. I do not attend any meetings for the server so I wouldn't like some of this. Or as alien said we could just have some war maps. I would be happy at an opportunity to make some special war map. If possible this might some day expand into another great blocktopia server! I love this idea. Can't wait to see it put into action!

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I remember in Primordia there were 4 clans/families and those were it. You couldn't make another one. Perhaps, we could use a similar/the same plugin to create 2 clans, light and dark, and have those two battle it out in a special war map. Maybe we can create them every time we have a war event then delete them, or maybe we keep them permanent. Either way could work. When the war event starts, both sides are humans, light having white dyed armor and dark having black dyed armor. A [WAR] map could be split into two different sides/bases, each side with an HQ, a vault, a hospital, and maybe a few other buildings. Maybe have the terrain be set up so the light side is brighter and the dark side is more dim and creepy. Maybe set up traps and "sniper stations" (a high fortified place with a bow and arrows in a chest). These are just ideas, but it would be very awesome to have this!

Zeus42000

Reaction score
I remember in Primordia there were 4 clans/families and those were it. You couldn't make another one. Perhaps, we could use a similar/the same plugin to create 2 clans, light and dark, and have those two battle it out in a special war map. Maybe we can create them every time we have a war event then delete them, or maybe we keep them permanent. Either way could work. When the war event starts, both sides are humans, light having white dyed armor and dark having black dyed armor. A [WAR] map could be split into two different sides/bases, each side with an HQ, a vault, a hospital, and maybe a few other buildings. Maybe have the terrain be set up so the light side is brighter and the dark side is more dim and creepy. Maybe set up traps and "sniper stations" (a high fortified place with a bow and arrows in a chest). These are just ideas, but it would be very awesome to have this!
According to Infected, You can't spawn with dyed leather armor in AoD.

• Sad
Reactions: Notme and S_swimmer