[SUGGESTION] Randomized chests

W

Wimali

Suggestion: Give mapmakers the ability to make loot in chest randomized!​

What does this mean?

Mapmakers would be able to list a certain amount of items and say how frequently they should appear in a chest. For example:

There should be a 47% chance for 1-17 saplings to be in the chest.
There should be a 10% chance for 1-3 apples to be in the chest.
There should be a 10% chance for a poisonous potato renamed “Golden apple” to be in the chest.
There should be a 10% chance for a wooden pickaxe to be in the chest.
There should be a 10% chance for 4-12 stone bricks to be in the chest.
There should be a 10% chance for 2-20 seeds to be in the chest.
There should be a 2% chance for an iron ingot to be in the chest.
There should be a 1% chance for an iron pickaxe to be in the chest.

However, for example, if there are saplings in the chest, nothing else will be in the chest. If there’s an iron pickaxe, that’s the only item. That way the chest wouldn’t be filled with loot. You could even, for example, have mapmakers choose what loot specific slots should have. For example:
Slot 1 (marked with a red arrow) should have a 52% chance for 1-13 saplings to be in the chest, a 27% chance for 2-4 bread to be in the chest, a 20% chance for a stone pickaxe to be in the chest, and a 1% for a normal, un-enchanted golden apple to be in the chest.

Slot 2 (marked with a blue arrow) should have a 48% chance for 3-7 seeds to be in the chest, a 32% chance for 2-15 stone bricks to be in the chest, and a 20% chance for 1-3 apples to be in the chest.

Slot 3 (marked with a green arrow) should have a 50% chance for a bow with 107 durability to be in the chest, and a 50% chance for 2-8 glass to be in the chest.

Oh, and remember that chest behind the waterfall in Oasis which has a poisonous potato renamed “Golden Apple” in it? Well, that could actually be a golden apple:

The middle slot of the chest should have a 99% chance for a poisonous potato renamed “Golden Apple” to be in the chest, and a 1% chance for an actual golden apple (non-enchanted, the one you craft with ingots) to be in the chest.

Why should this be implemented?

Well, right now all chests are the same. So most of time, people just go for the chests of which they know has something “good” in them, like food or a nice book to read, maybe even to get some stone tools if they’re low-ranked. The point is, if you’re someone who plays RoF a lot, after a while you’ll pretty much know most of the good chests, and you’d never really find a pleasant surprise when looking in a chest.

Because if this would be implemented, players would be able to find iron or iron pickaxes or similar stuff in chests. Now before you go yell “OMG OVERPOWERED!!!”, it would most of the time just be a 1% or 2% chance at most- That’s one or two iron in 100 rounds. Not very common, is it? So It’d be rare, but people would still have the possibility of finding iron, or anything like that. However, the higher staff would of course still be able to chance the rates of certain items, if they think something is too common or shouldn’t appear in chests at all (In my opinion, anything related to diamonds shouldn’t appear in chests, even with a 0,01% chance).

Now, of course this would most likely be a lot of work, both for the directors and the player making the map itself. That’s why this should be optional: Mapmakers would still be able to have chests be like the old way.

This might just be too hard too code or maybe not worth it, but in my opinion it would make chests more exciting and just make the game more fun. I’d like to see what you think about it though!

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
I absolutely love the way this is worded. I have no clue how this can be implemented (or if it can) but it seems like it would be something really neat and different.

My only issue/complaint with it is that I don't want there to be more than one designated "random slot" in each chest. This can just lead to raising the chance of the item appearing a tad.

W

Wimali

I absolutely love the way this is worded. I have no clue how this can be implemented (or if it can) but it seems like it would be something really neat and different.

My only issue/complaint with it is that I don't want there to be more than one designated "random slot" in each chest. This can just lead to raising the chance of the item appearing a tad.

I can see where you're coming from on that, but how about only one of them has good, rare stuff (a high chance of something not-rare, then a small chance of iron/iron pickaxe/golden apple/iron sword) while the other two/three have more... useless stuff, a very, very high chance of something like seeds or rotten flesh and a small chance of bread or apples. That way the content of the chest would be varied, while still not spoiling the player with loot :D

• Dislike
Reactions: buildbuild12

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Fair enough point on that. I am probably just being overcautious on me desire for players not to become "op" quickly due to those chests. Anyway, if we find that this is indeed code-able then I would love for this to be tested.

• Agree
Reactions: cooliorules

crafter

Reaction score
Adding replayability to maps :D There are maps that I will log off for since I've seen everything there is, but this'll add something to look forward to that's different everytime.

• Agree
Reactions: midnightgirl24