[Suggestion] Make Zombie and FFA easier

• Thread starter Deleted member 4601
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4601

I always thought that zombie was horribly horrible because I'm just really good at being a PvP noob, but after receiving a few messages from newcomers complaining about just how some of the gamemodes can get and how they feel like ragequiting all the time, I'd thought I'd dwell into this and give my perspective on things.

Make Zombie and FFA easier.
A lot easier.

These two gamemodes are just incredibly confusing and prone to rage-quits. On one hand you have zombie, where you have to time your hits, and on FFA it changes completely so you don't have to. In all gamemodes besides Zombie, fall damage is negated, but suddenly on Zombie you die when you fall. The list goes on. On top of that, it's just generally incredibly hard for the newcomer to obtain any orbs at all during zombie and FFA rounds because what tends to happen is that there is this huge gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.

This means that it's incredibly difficult to get new players to stay, especially those who are new to Minecraft and would like to find a Minecraft community to settle in.

The solution is easy - make it easier for everyone to obtain kills. One thing about all successful PvP servers out there is that they're fast-paced, they're simple, and they modify PvP such that it gives players of all skill levels chances to kill. That's what makes it fun. It's the same for CTF - the only skill involved is aiming, which means even if you're not as good it's still fun. The same idea applies to gamemodes that are largely based on vanilla PvP - adding powerful weapons and removing long-range weapons encourages close-quarters combat and balances the gamemode difficulty for players with different skills; it might seem like an odd way of balancing the game but it's going to be beneficial to the server popularity.

Thanks a whole lot =D

Reactions: Mastersten

Iggish

Reaction score
I always thought that zombie was horribly horrible because I'm just really good at being a PvP noob, but after receiving a few messages from newcomers complaining about just how some of the gamemodes can get and how they feel like ragequiting all the time, I'd thought I'd dwell into this and give my perspective on things.

Make Zombie and FFA easier.
A lot easier.

These two gamemodes are just incredibly confusing and prone to rage-quits. On one hand you have zombie, where you have to time your hits, and on FFA it changes completely so you don't have to. In all gamemodes besides Zombie, fall damage is negated, but suddenly on Zombie you die when you fall. The list goes on. On top of that, it's just generally incredibly hard for the newcomer to obtain any orbs at all during zombie and FFA rounds because what tends to happen is that there is this huge gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.

This means that it's incredibly difficult to get new players to stay, especially those who are new to Minecraft and would like to find a Minecraft community to settle in.

The solution is easy - make it easier for everyone to obtain kills. One thing about all successful PvP servers out there is that they're fast-paced, they're simple, and they modify PvP such that it gives players of all skill levels chances to kill. That's what makes it fun. It's the same for CTF - the only skill involved is aiming, which means even if you're not as good it's still fun. The same idea applies to gamemodes that are largely based on vanilla PvP - adding powerful weapons and removing long-range weapons encourages close-quarters combat and balances the gamemode difficulty for players with different skills; it might seem like an odd way of balancing the game but it's going to be beneficial to the server popularity.

Thanks a whole lot =D
But people complain about being killed too quickly, e.g. 4/5 hit. So this wouldn't rly work. (The last point anyway)

D

Deleted member 4601

If you give everyone more skills or increased damage for more kills nothing really changes, you only get more kills faster and you will still get killed
I'm coming from the perspective of someone who gets basically no kills at all, especially in zombie. An increase in the number of kills you get - from 0 to 5 - is significant, and the way to do this is to decrease the dependency of performance on skill.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I think both gamemodes should indeed be more newbie friendly, however I'm not sure if this is the best way. For FFA something like this could make it more fun but it's also not really fun being killed without being able to much about it. Zombie is currently quite flawed in my opinion and just making killing easier won't solve much, I envision zombie in the future more where zombies are way, way stronger than humans and the only way to survive is to make strong set up or hiding.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
honestly though (and this is probably one of the first times I've had this kind of mindset) that was kind of the charm of AoD—being unforgiving. That kind of no-handholding atmosphere was what drew me into the game

Iggish

Reaction score
I think both gamemodes should indeed be more newbie friendly, however I'm not sure if this is the best way. For FFA something like this could make it more fun but it's also not really fun being killed without being able to much about it. Zombie is currently quite flawed in my opinion and just making killing easier won't solve much, I envision zombie in the future more where zombies are way, way stronger than humans and the only way to survive is to make strong set up or hiding.
Are we talking about maps like that hill one where hunters had full iron armour? That sort of divide?

3nd3rslayer

Reaction score
I definitely agree with ffa not being very friendly to new players.
The problem is that it takes a lot of dedication to some players to stay in a full round of ffa while always getting killed and it might seem frustrating to them. Not long ago I was also really bad at pvp but the only reason I got better was because some friendly players gave me advice on how to be more effective.
Therefore I should think that they should make a pvp tutorial with some tricks to turn better at pvp which will cause ffa rounds to be more balanced. Another thing that could encourage this is making a training ground in the lobby where players can train. This can either be players vs mobs or player vs player while waiting for the voting to end.

This is what I think of ffa but I'd be less worried about zombie. This pvp guide can also help with zombies (especially if you're the only dark hunter) but unless you aren't first dark hunter zombie is more strategy and teamwork.

This is all I can think of to help and if I get any new ideas I'll let you guys know.

• Thank You
Reactions: Deleted member 4601

Iggish

Reaction score
I definitely agree with ffa not being very friendly to new players.
The problem is that it takes a lot of dedication to some players to stay in a full round of ffa while always getting killed and it might seem frustrating to them. Not long ago I was also really bad at pvp but the only reason I got better was because some friendly players gave me advice on how to be more effective.
Therefore I should think that they should make a pvp tutorial with some tricks to turn better at pvp which will cause ffa rounds to be more balanced. Another thing that could encourage this is making a training ground in the lobby where players can train. This can either be players vs mobs or player vs player while waiting for the voting to end.

This is what I think of ffa but I'd be less worried about zombie. This pvp guide can also help with zombies (especially if you're the only dark hunter) but unless you aren't first dark hunter zombie is more strategy and teamwork.

This is all I can think of to help and if I get any new ideas I'll let you guys know.
If anything FFA is easier on new players than Zombie. On FFA you spamhit like 1.8 and this is newbie friendly as there isn't a lot of skill involved (not as much as 1.9). However on zombie you must time your hits if you hope to do any real damage and this is way harder for newer players.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
If anything FFA is easier on new players than Zombie. On FFA you spamhit like 1.8 and this is newbie friendly as there isn't a lot of skill involved (not as much as 1.9). However on zombie you must time your hits if you hope to do any real damage and this is way harder for newer players.
Just to bring this thread back to light, there is still a fair bit of skill involved on FFA as the hit detection is not the same as it was pre-combat update, you still need to swing accurately and be able to avoid hits at the same time.

However I think it would be more beneficial to have the Zombie game-mode have the same style of PvP as FFA, as you can clearly see how much of a difference in gameplay there is between the two, when Iggy who is a very good pvper can kill nearly everyone without dying himself as a hunter, while on FFA he's weaker because the hits aren't as strong.

I do find it unfair that people can pvp better because of their framerate and connection, arguably this has always been a problem throughout minecraft over the years but now it is very noticeable. I find that FFA pvp is a more balanced than Zombie pvp, which is why I tend to see CTF/FFA/Infection maps outvote Zombie nearly all the time now.

Iggish

Reaction score
It matters what Zombie map. People absolutely hate some maps and call for it to be removed every time it is played. But then you have the original maps with good gameplay and balanced kits. These are almost always voted. In all my time on AoD2 i have only seen Buildbox outvoted 5 times, and they were for either new maps or other very good maps.

Second of all, quite a lot of people despise FFA. Normally if something kills a round on aod, it's because of a double ffa in the voting. I haven't noticed FFA being picked above Zombie a lot at all.

I seriously think 1.8 style pvp would suck so much on Zombie now that we have the new version.