[Suggestion] Controllers+ have backend server abilities

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Heyo,
So recently, when playing Create for a bit, and it going down, and not coming back up for 30+ mins. I've been asking admins if they'd be able to help fix it, but since they only have abilities for the server they staff on, none were able to help me out.

So I had the idea that controllers+ can have abilities to do things like restart, and fix other servers. So basically it'd be like they're trusted on the other servers, but to a greater extent.

Please feel free to discuss your opinions on this idea, and if you think it'd be good for the servers.

Thanks! c:

• Agree
Reactions: Jayfeather

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
There's a lot to learn when dealing with the backend. Make one wrong move, type one command wrong, forget to do something, and suddenly you've gone and messed up thing more severely than when you started, and you have to get tnm or psy or someone to fix it. Directors already have backend, admins have it, asshats have it, surely you can reach out to one of those people who can remedy whatever issue.

A better solution would be to just modify the server to restart if it goes down without admin input, or fix whatever issue is shutting down the server.

I don't think going through the hassle of giving controllers backend access, teaching them all what they need to know to NOT mess up delicate things,, only to have to have that many more people know the passwords (which have to be changed after every staff loss and makes the servers slightly less secure) just to restart servers (in the event that it's completely down AND no relevant staff are present to fix it).

The cons outweigh the pros in my opinion. It's a lot of work, a lot of opportunity for damage, and a lot of change for not a lot of benefit.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
There's a lot to learn when dealing with the backend. Make one wrong move, type one command wrong, forget to do something, and suddenly you've gone and messed up thing more severely than when you started, and you have to get tnm or psy or someone to fix it. Directors already have backend, admins have it, asshats have it, surely you can reach out to one of those people who can remedy whatever issue.

A better solution would be to just modify the server to restart if it goes down without admin input, or fix whatever issue is shutting down the server.

I don't think going through the hassle of giving controllers backend access, teaching them all what they need to know to NOT mess up delicate things,, only to have to have that many more people know the passwords (which have to be changed after every staff loss and makes the servers slightly less secure) just to restart servers (in the event that it's completely down AND no relevant staff are present to fix it).

The cons outweigh the pros in my opinion. It's a lot of work, a lot of opportunity for damage, and a lot of change for not a lot of benefit.
Alrighty that's fine. Just gonna say though, that my point wasn't for Controllers to have all the abilities, but just the ability to restart a server if it goes down. But I can see your point, the servers can just be worked in a way that they auto restart it when they are down, or just fix the problem directly.
Anyway, thanks for your reply!

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
Yeah before I had access to backend, I was totally for Controllers getting access. But now that I have to deal with backend myself, my opinion has made a 180. In addition to what Ogar said, the main problem with backend is that it is almost "All or Nothing". So if you have access to start and stop commands, you have basicly access to every cmd under the sun. I don't think trust issues are the #1 biggest factor, but rather how delicate backend can be.

Plus it takes a lot of time to train someone. Trust me I've gotten under the CA's skin one too many times, because I totally forgot how to do something or I totalled something altogether. (And this is after 3 months of constantly accessing backend.)

• Agree
Reactions: Lux and JtTorso