[Suggestion] Cart Reversal

Shmid

Reaction score
Name of your suggestion/idea: Cart reversal
What is the purpose of your suggestion/idea: To add more strategy to Payload
Description of your suggestdea: Payload works more like TF2: when only members of the other team are around the cart, the cart slowly moves backwards.
Why should it be implemented into the server: This is a feature that I think has always been missing from Payload. Most games are decided when one team has a 30% lead over the other; there's not much that can be done. You can place all the mines or throw as many grenades as you want, people will stay on that cart and they will move it. If one team manages to clear the area for a few seconds to get to try and push their own cart, they might gain 2% before the other team comes back to win. If cart reversal is implemented, the chance of one team winning is based more upon teamwork than on luck.

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
I do not like the idea of this being implemented as I do not feel it would make a positive impact. PL can be very one sided, yes, but as it is it can also be very close. It would be more one-sided in some cases if we added this, as teams with the best players would be able to push their own cart, and not only stop the other cart, but also push it back leaving their no way for the other team to get anywhere close.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Name of your suggestion/idea: Cart reversal
What is the purpose of your suggestion/idea: To add more strategy to Payload
Description of your suggestdea: Payload works more like TF2: when only members of the other team are around the cart, the cart slowly moves backwards.
Why should it be implemented into the server: This is a feature that I think has always been missing from Payload. Most games are decided when one team has a 30% lead over the other; there's not much that can be done. You can place all the mines or throw as many grenades as you want, people will stay on that cart and they will move it. If one team manages to clear the area for a few seconds to get to try and push their own cart, they might gain 2% before the other team comes back to win. If cart reversal is implemented, the chance of one team winning is based more upon teamwork than on luck.
Well, my last payload game we were being dominated. They had around a 60% or more lead over us, they had 92% and while I was being bombarded with attacks I managed to over-take and win.

It isn't impossible, it just takes knowledge and tactics, the current way is fine in mt opinion.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Hmph, does the speed of the cart moving forward depend on the amount of players around it?

If so, I really do like this idea. It's more strategic, it adds more depth to payload, making you choose between helping your progress, or hindering the enemy. Thinking along the lines of TF2, it takes about 20 seconds of standing around the cart before it starts moving backwards. While I think 20 seconds is -probably- too much, a 10 second wait period of having an uncontested enemy cart would balance things out, I believe.

If the speed of the cart isn't affected by players around it, than I'd say no because it more or less removes the strategic element, and at least one person would be put on "pushing the cart back duty".