Snow

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
[*]Name of the map: Snowbox

[*]Intended Gamemode: (Survival or Classic) Survival at any dimension, Classic at full (100) if the staff deems the map allows for enough creativity

[*]Creator(s): 755someone755, JayJay, Olive44

[*]Size: 100*100*60 (can easily be resized to smaller dimensions, e.g. 50)

[*]Screenshots, including timer areas (Use default texture pack!) :

[*]Any block that you prefer to be no-break or no-drop?: Leaving this up to staff as I'm not responsible enough for this -- some people would like snow, some wouldn't, and snowballs could be "abused" in KoTL.

[*]If you included chests, then list the items that are contained in each of them (Optional): Included with screenshots.

[*]Any extra information about your map?: It's full of snow. (heh, heh) This map is the product of many years of thinking, a few minutes of work and a server crash. Idea derived from the Classic Zombie map, Antfarm.

[*]Extra extra information: The bedrock on the top of the map marks the 50^2 map size, to give an idea of the smaller size. Will be removed if the map is accepted at 100.

Also if decided that it's good for Classic, we would like it to enter the competition (FREE TITLE WOO).

• Thank You
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Tamsanity and Lux

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I only said the idea came from there. The only influence really is that there's blocks you have to dig to get somewhere.
Snow is no material to build with on RoF as it melts in a matter of seconds and it's easy to break even with bare hands. Also it's easy to build with snow all around you (imo, at least).
While it might not be full of materials and things to do, the map allows for structures that could not be made in standard Survival mode by a normal player (read: without special equipment and only blocks).

Yes, it is just a block of snow with some trees on top, if that's what you asked yourself when you saw it.
And yes, I am as sane as I have always been.

I don't expect anyone to like it. I would, however, very much appreciate opinions, be them good or bad ones.
(Also I know I'm an asshole, but look at the map as if it wasn't made by one.)

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
You're Right - This is a 100x100 block of snow with a couple trees on top. I could have done this on BuildBox in less then 2 minutes. This is a sheer lack of creativity my friend.

If you made this a Survival map, you would NEED to add some form of cobble/stone/brick or else they have no choice but to buy those materials, and that's against map sub rules.

If you made this a classic map, everybody would build on top. From what I see, the timers are set to melt the snow in layers from bottom to top? Considering how low the final timer is above, I'd say your build limit is low as well, giving people little room to work with. Like JT said, if this was to be like Anthill and flood from the top, well, obviously everything would melt (therefore rendering the lower timers useless), and I don't think people feel like digging out a square box of snow and the replacing the walls/floor/ceiling, even if would be easy to do on Classic.

Ultimately, this is not a map I would want to spend 35-45 minutes on. We appreciate putting in the submission, but I don't see this qualifying as a map. Sorry for the brutal honesty.

EDIT: If you weren't expecting anybody to like it, then why submit it? Don't waste our time expecting us to give you feedback on a map that even you know has little chance of being added in it's current state. I'm willing to wager everybody who does judge this map is just going to tell you that it's a large block of snow.

Last edited:

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
You're Right - This is a 100x100 block of snow with a couple trees on top. I could have done this on BuildBox in less then 2 minutes. This is a sheer lack of creativity my friend.

If you made this a Survival map, you would NEED to add some form of cobble/stone/brick or else they have no choice but to buy those materials, and that's against map sub rules.

If you made this a classic map, everybody would build on top. From what I see, the timers are set to melt the snow in layers from bottom to top? Considering how low the final timer is above, I'd say your build limit is low as well, giving people little room to work with. Like JT said, if this was to be like Anthill and flood from the top, well, obviously everything would melt (therefore rendering the lower timers useless), and I don't think people feel like digging out a square box of snow and the replacing the walls/floor/ceiling, even if would be easy to do on Classic.

Ultimately, this is not a map I would want to spend 35-45 minutes on. We appreciate putting in the submission, but I don't see this qualifying as a map. Sorry for the brutal honesty.
So if I understand this, it needs materials (thank you for telling me this, I thought wood was the only necessary material, hence the trees) and a (faster) way to get up.
You just gave me a ton of ideas.
DAMMIT RAEG NOW I HAVE TO EDIT IT.

In its current state, the timers were meant to flood from the bottom up, else the other timers wouldn't be necessary. I'll also increase the height, then.

As for the building procedure, I find it easier to build stuff if there's something like a skeleton around it, else I have to make pillars and such to help me place the blocks I want.
Normally, on a normal map, there's just a square-ish house and that's it, but I find that most of the time, that's because of the way you are forced to build -- with snow all around you, you can place any block wherever you want it to be and make towers or arches etc., not just the classic cuboid house.
You could replace the snow with walls and call it a house, but that's not much better than the "bare minimum" houses usually seen. At least here you have to actually build it, not just make a 3^3 hole in a mountain.

Also thank you for the "brutal" honesty. Not as much honesty as much as they are tips for improving this, at least in my eyes. :D

and ill have you know i spent over 30 minutes on it k

Tamzies

Reaction score
Honestly as a Buildbox Operator and a Rof Operator I feel ashamed that someone thought this would be a map. Simplicity is big, but this is too simple. With a bit more time and some depth in this map it could turn out to be cracker.

But seriously this is getting away with something that was made by a two years old. The Ice/Snow theme is fun and I think you should develop this to be an even and well thought of map. Its a start or base, but that is it. If you want I can give you some ideas, but I think you are well on your way to make it something good.

Maybe make it the South Pole, and make Santa's house to make it Christmas themed! The world is your limit, but for now. Good god do not get me started! ;)

Edit: Delete your double post :-)