SMP and 1.9 - Elytra > Nether Network for long distances, if stuff gets established enough.

How accessible should be elytra?

• Total voters

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Here is my testing with Elytra - Reusable pillars.
Mending and Unbreaking III makes Elytra virtually eternal:

Elytra sky transport is best way of transport, when it comes to long distance flight.
You can fly 10km with ease using reusable pillars couple times (don't worry, if you miss them, they would be placed in one kilometre grid).
Assuming modest radius of world being 4 km, that would mean it would have to be less than 64 such pillars to cower whole server. Minimap is advised for navigating this.
Each pillar is dirt cheap to made - only chest to keep stacks of sand/gravel for pillars, few dirt blocks, sticky piston and lever, meaning that infrastructure could be set up way before elytra wings get common on servers.
Of course Elytra are impractical in Nether, and to navigate around The End you need enderpeals, so you could get back on island in case you fly too low.

Nether Network System requires much more resources and times to get built.
I bet it still would exist, as in Nether distances are 8 times shorter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ogarci

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Wondering, is this specific for a server or in general for all servers?
For all servers, but SMP is most... persistent, so no permanent pillars here.
I wonder how Elytra will impact AoD and RoF.
For Create you already can fly, so it doesn't change much.
Maybe wait for the server to be announced before jumping the gun

Unless it already was and I wasn't paying attention
Well I bet it will be released this month already updated to 1.9.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
For all servers, but SMP is most... persistent, so no permanent pillars here.
I wonder how Elytra will impact AoD and RoF.
For Create you already can fly, so it doesn't change much.
PvP in the air would be cool but I dont really know if its possible and how the fly mechanics work.

Further RoF, it wouldnt have much use cause you would probably fly outside the map.

Create has like you said fly enabled

SMP, I dont know about any release but it would probably cost much money or be found in the end to make it fair for everyone to get one.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
We're in a golden age of flight, if you think I'd even consider WALKING to the nearest tower you're much mistaken. I'll build my own pillar and fly there, thank-you.

Like UB3 books weren't useful enough already...

Guess the easy way would be to have commandblock/admin launchpads at set locations, that launch the player to insane heights... Just remember to pack your wings! :p

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I dunno, 1 diamond block seems extremely high seeing as how hard it is to get even 1 diamond altogether.

I am quite personally excited for the next SMP
Diamond blocks are f easy to get :)
Just mine persistently below layer 15 and have Fortune III pickaxe.

We're in a golden age of flight, if you think I'd even consider WALKING to the nearest tower you're much mistaken. I'll build my own pillar and fly there, thank-you.

Like UB3 books weren't useful enough already...

Guess the easy way would be to have commandblock/admin launchpads at set locations, that launch the player to insane heights... Just remember to pack your wings! :p
Hmm so Elytra Launchers could be... much more concealed.
This way you could fly away from pvprs or do air raids on poor cities.

• Agree
Reactions: Mastersten

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I'd like to see an smp that uses lots of islands (either a big ocean like in Wind Waker, or just flat out sky islands), and then make elytra main mode of transportation (unless we do big ocean, where we can also use boats). Making it so just about anyone can get a pair early on basically means it won't be one of those "I have too much time and don't know what else to do with it" items.

And for those who are just completely against people ever being able to fly at all in smp, I would like to point out that wearing elytra means you can't equip a chestplate of any kind, so flyers are relatively easy to take out, especially since attacking flyers are generally easy to spot (and they can only really attack (awkwardly) with potions and bows when flying, though bows are probably the strongest weapons in vanilla 1.9 minecraft now) and I'm pretty sure elytra stay visible even when invisibility potion is used.
plus, I've always wanted to have a functioning roc's cape from LoZ Minish Cap/Four Swords (gba) in minecraft.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
I'd like to see an smp that uses lots of islands (either a big ocean like in Wind Waker, or just flat out sky islands), and then make elytra main mode of transportation (unless we do big ocean, where we can also use boats). Making it so just about anyone can get a pair early on basically means it won't be one of those "I have too much time and don't know what else to do with it" items.
Thinking of it, wouldnt it be awesome if the next smp would be a bit like kami's (4 or 5 big clans) but made of sky islands and everyone has permanently elytra's locked in so you can always fly around to other islands

Catcocomics

Reaction score
actually, I think I may just now have an idea.
Replace clans with something (nations, kingdoms, empires... something big like this) and allow people within to make their own cities, towns, and villages.
And maybe do something crazy like have two worlds: sea and sky. The sky would be accessed by climbing a "tower to the heavens" or be simply going above a certain elevation... or we could use cannons...
returning to the sea would be as simple as falling out of the sky... assuming you either have an elytra or don't land on an island.

Reactions: Mastersten