RoF Beginner Rank

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
This rank will be for... Well... Beginners. It comes before Player, and is basicly to help out new players.
While in tutorial, there will be a button to play one round before becoming Player. If the Beginner survives that round, then he/she will get the 25,0 cookies, aswell as their Player rank. But, on the flip side, if he/she does not survive the round, they will have to play the round again, whilst still haveing Beginner rank.

I mainly thought of this rank to help out new players get a better understanding of the game.

If you disagree, or see anything wrong with this suggestion, please tell me. I take each and every helpful reply to mind, and use it as future refrence. Any crtisism will also be helpful, as long as its not directed towards me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
W

Wimali

I don't see the need for this at all, the tutorial explains enough. And if the community isn't able to help new players, well, then RoF's going to die. Although this could be useful for certain players, I just don't think it's really worth the effort (to code), and would actually confuse/annoy most new players. Perhaps having it be optional would be nice, but then I still don't think it's worth it.

D

DarkHender

I am not in favour for this. We already have a tutorial and most players skip that and go straight to the portal. If we did have it as Bram said it would take a lot of time to code and possibly confuse the new players from their tutorial round to the real game. (Picture you want to play with a friend and they have to do a 30 minute tutorial round before you guys can even start playing together, that would suck wouldn't it?) If it was optional I think most would skip it and play the real deal- I mean I personally would probably do that. Not a lot of fun to play alone in a tutorial round for 30 minutes or so.

In the end, I think it would be sort of pointless.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Not alone. With others, but have Beginner rank, and be a little restricted. This is just to minimize the amount of players flooding, griefing, or just doing bad things. If you disagree, thats totally fine, and i understand if you do. Again, this is just a suggestion. Im not going to beg this to happen.

D

DarkHender

Not alone. With others, but have Beginner rank, and be a little restricted. This is just to minimize the amount of players flooding, griefing, or just doing bad things. If you disagree, thats totally fine, and i understand if you do. Again, this is just a suggestion. Im not going to beg this to happen.
How would it be different?

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Now that i think about this, it does sound pretty useless. But a tutorial round like 5 mins long or something would at least give them knowledge about the game. Instead of skiping the tutorial and go flooding and dieing every 30 seconds. I understand they'd want to just go play the game, but how would they play it without knowing anything about it?

W

Wimali

Now that i think about this, it does sound pretty useless. But a tutorial round like 5 mins long or something would at least give them knowledge about the game. Instead of skiping the tutorial and go flooding and dieing every 30 seconds. I understand they'd want to just go play the game, but how would they play it without knowing anything about it?
If they skip their tutorial, it's their own fault.

• Agree
Reactions: Lux
W

Wimali

Just gonna say this..

This thread highly releates to this thread in many ways...

http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/expanded-tutorial-tutorial-round.14977/
I find it funny how that thread was met with a whole lot of likes and "Yes please"'s, while this one was immediately crushed into the ground (including by me), while its core concept is still the same. Makes you realize what a difference there is between a worked out, thought-out suggestion by a regular player (and staff member!) and a kind of confusing, seemingly rushed suggestion by a non-staf member.

• Agree
Reactions: Notme and Robo

Kalliee

Reaction score
Yes, a new tutorial would be nice, maybe with people needing to answer questions on what they learned? Or else the tutorial is useless. Say the room you're in talks about flooding and griefing, at the end ther might be a question, like 'Is it okay to flood?' "Yes" "No" either in buttons, or typing, either way, even if it was just a new tutorial, It would be beneficial.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Yes, a new tutorial would be nice, maybe with people needing to answer questions on what they learned? Or else the tutorial is useless. Say the room you're in talks about flooding and griefing, at the end ther might be a question, like 'Is it okay to flood?' "Yes" "No" either in buttons, or typing, either way, even if it was just a new tutorial, It would be beneficial.
Thats what I was thinking. But it seems that would be a bit much for a tutorial. Seems more like a test.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm confused why a tutorial is needed at all other than a shop. I mean, you build a box and win. Of course explaining to do the rules and all that is needed, but I'm not sure why you'd spend time working on a tutorial that doesn't make sense to be there in the first place. (At least, in my opinion, since I rarely visit RoF)

Reactions: RyanDodd

deathdoom13

Reaction score
A practice round seems alright and all (mostly because I've gown tired of all of the accidental floods and deaths by teaching newer players by slow typing) but it's really easy to survive rounds and still not know what you're doing. Also, take in the factor of Angry or Annoyed moods. A better tutorial, however, would be very nice. The current one is too wordy and/or for other players IMO.
To be honest, I'm confused why a tutorial is needed at all other than a shop. I mean, you build a box and win. Of course explaining to do the rules and all that is needed, but I'm not sure why you'd spend time working on a tutorial that doesn't make sense to be there in the first place. (At least, in my opinion, since I rarely visit RoF)
Usually it's to explain things like moods, but people still don't know which blocks melt. The spreadsheet for which blocks melt is useful and all, but not as easily acessible compared to, say, an experienced player.

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
As much as I like sploorky's suggestion.

Maybe just have an area where they spawn and all of the rules are on the signs in front of the player, Also having the rank up to player sign there too?