Recently Played List

tommy

Reaction score
Hey there,

Ever playing on the server and the same map comes up within a short amount of time?

Well here is a solution!

A recently played map list. Once a map is played it is put into this list and it will be taken out of the list within 30-45 minutes or more if you like. Once it leaves the list it can be played again like any other map unless it was recently played.

Players can check which maps were recently play by typing /recent

Players can also check which maps haven't been played in a while with /upcoming

This will be a great addition because players will not have to deal with playing the same map over and over.

Thanks everyone replay with any problems, likes, and dislikes

-Tommy

• Creative
Reactions: wjg9 and Awwwyea

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
A recently played map list. Once a map is played it is put into this list and it will be taken out of the list within 30-45 minutes or more if you like. Once it leaves the list it can be played again like any other map unless it was recently played.
I am assuming from this that you mean to say that once a map is played, it will be unplayable for a certain amount of time, such as the 30-45 minute period you stated. In this period of time that it is unable to be played, it will be placed on this "recent" list, and will be taken off this list and be placed back into rotation to be played?

Honestly, if that theory / understanding of mine is true, I am skeptical of the fact if that is even possible using our current means of a map-playlist. And if it is, I am assuming massive amounts of code will be needed in order just to put this together. I am not code expert, I have no experience in that field, so I cannot really answer that question, it is just what I am assuming.

Moving away from that discussion: what will this add really to the game?
We should note that rounds are entirely 10 minutes in length, though that may depend whether humans survive or not. Let us assume in this circumstance that in every round, humans won, and that the entire 10 minute length of time had passed. Let us also assume, as I am not certain about how true this is or not, that the rounds of 10 minutes truly match up with 10 or so minutes in the real world. This would amount of 6 matches per hour, no?
Rounds normally only show up again after a couple of rounds, normally 2-4, and never right afterwards. Between these rounds, a fairly decent amount of time would have passed. So in a sense, a particular map would always be played at least once per hour. That seems plenty of time to me, so I don't see a problem with certain maps being played more often then normal.

Continuing from my previous paragraph: The only time I really see a problem when players start seeing a map being played over and over, is when those particular players have been on the server that day for a very long period of time. Normally when your doing something for this long, plus, these people are most likely having FUN! You know the statement: Time flies when your having fun? I bet it only seems a short amount of time to them (I get this feeling to when maps are played often), due to this, so it adds onto why I don't really see a problem.

I think we should also look at HOW these maps are continuously played even though they have only recently been played. The aspect which relates to this question is very major, as the real answer is simple: our playerbase decides what maps to play. Most maps that are played often tend to be popular, fun, or just simple maps the community really enjoys. Yes, sometimes certain maps get annoying and can show up a bit often, but if the community likes playing, should we really restrict it?
Restricting access to certain maps, although it moderately encourages picking lesser-liked, or less played maps, it also restricts the power and decision of what the community wants as a whole, which feels like an unhealthy way of pushing the community or players in a specific direction, which I don't think would be very good.
Even if it is implemented, how long will it last? I think this adds more toward a democratic vote, as eventually, certain groups, or many, or possibly, though rarely, perhaps the entire playerbase may be against it later down the line, and they will just suggest removing it later.

A motto I've been appealing to lately goes along the lines of this:
""Change can be for the better, though in many cases, unneeded, or unwanted.""
I feel this is such a case.
Good idea, and I think its good you pitched it. Though ultimately, I don't really want a restricted map-picking system like this, and I don't think It would really be worth it for the server.

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
I think this would be amazing. However, we'd have to work on the time/number of maps on the list to perfect it. Otherwise, maps would still feel stale, or underplayed. This idea has lots of potential though.

• Winner
Reactions: tommy

HadesHunter

Reaction score
Although JK has a point, none of us can truly speak for the community. Which is why ideas need to be tested before a decision is rendered. (That is, if the idea seems likely enough to be implemented.)

I'm not entirely sure what the coding for the server is, whether it's C++ or something else. I have an idea for what will be needed for this to work, but if the coding isn't what I think it is then I might be entirely wrong.

Reaction score
Website
souncloud.com
This would be one heck of a job to code. Weak Example: (Map 1 active) *End of Round* (Map 1 locked, x amount of time). Most of the work would just be adding in the variables. This is my opinion though. Lets see what WinX64 opinon is since he is the primary coder.

Gamemakergm

Developer, Meep
Reaction score
Website
www.safaree.org
Although JK has a point, none of us can truly speak for the community. Which is why ideas need to be tested before a decision is rendered. (That is, if the idea seems likely enough to be implemented.)

I'm not entirely sure what the coding for the server is, whether it's C++ or something else. I have an idea for what will be needed for this to work, but if the coding isn't what I think it is then I might be entirely wrong.
I believe it still is based off MCLawl which is coded in C#.

It is easy to keep a list of past maps for /recent and such (I would keep it until server restart) as all you need is push a map down a list.
Code:
 // Put this on the Round Class, doesn't have to necessarily be static.
public static List<Level> pastMaps = new List<Level>();

// - In the round start or start of map selection add something such as -
pastMaps.Add(currentRoundMap);
Deleting the map after 45 minutes or so is pretty simple. You can just use a Timer and get the first item in the range and delete it from the list. It could take a few extra resources, however. But not many if coded efficiently.

I have seen and coded map selection algorithms before, it could go from simple to a little more complex for specific cases.

The most common way I've seen this done is by reading all the level files in a directory and picking one of them at random, then loading the level, moving players, unloading the past one, etc.
So picking a map that's not in the list is not as hard as it seems this way, as all you do is loop through the list and compare it to your current possible maps list(The list made up of the filenames)
I'm not sure how the Death Run maps were implemented yet, so it could be affected by that.

This is just my opinion, could be totally wrong for all I know. I have expertise in MCLawl forks and game-modes for Classic and Premium, but I've never seen more than a few lines of the code for this specific server.

wjg9

Reaction score
Personally I think this would be a great command, it could even help people achieve the Bear Grylls achievement by allowing them to more easily remember how many wins they have had due to the maps in the past.