• Posts in this section do not count towards your post count.

[R2] The Afterstory: A Post-Apocalyptic Roleplay

Specter2k11

Haunting People Since 2011
Reaction score
“Welcome to the Afterstory”
Day 147: Journal Entry Unknown

Five months it has been since the force that scourged the world of our presence left its mark…
It spread like wildfire; corrupting the ground with its vile presence.
It was a plague upon us…
The wildlife and flora could not respond in time, and with a simply touch;
They were lost to us.
Our own accomplishments:
Our great cities that could pierce the sky with its towering skyscrapers; a realm we could not touch.
Our history, a long and sorrowful tale wrought in tradition and lore.
Our face on the world, so grand, lost beneath the infernal growth.
Gone forever…
It was an Organism; something we could not comprehend;
Brought us to our knees…
We could not stop it...
...The age of man is over....
The universe has turned its back from us,
And with how few of us are left, I don't think we have much time remaining on this earth...
Despite our new found reprieve in the wastelands across the land...
It is only a matter of time,
Until we get picked off...
One by One.
I fear I am one of them...
I do not have much time remaining...
I can feel the seed inside of me, spreading its curse throughout my veins...
Calling me to darkness...
I am sorry I could not be there for you my dear...
I could not protect you from this madness.
But you need to stay strong...
I just need you to know...
That I love you...
My Dear Sintel...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction: Welcome to the Afterstory: A Post-Apocalyptic Role-play!

Setting: You are a survivor of a mysterious Organism that destroyed the majority of the world. The majority of the population is dead, and the only place that remains to be safe is the arid wasteland. Your goal is to survive in this wasteland by any means necessary; It will be difficult.

The Organism: The organism has destroyed the majority of the flora and fauna of the world, as well as destroying or heavily corroding any man-made structure or material. The Organism has also caused a poisonous fungal growth to spread over these areas. The wasteland is the only area that is safe from infection from this organism.

The Wasteland, Food, and Infection: The wasteland is a series of rugged mountains, dried earth that can barely grow crops or hold water, and sandy dunes. Due to the organism, the majority of the wildlife or flora in the area is dead. Because of this, the Wasteland is unreliable and cannot be used as a means of resource gathering. You will need to rely on small bugs and canned food as a means of survival. Your main source of supplies will be through the means of scavenging off the remains of destroyed or ruined cities on the edge of the corruption, as well as areas throughout the wasteland. ONE slip up, and we do mean ONE, can end in death out in the wasteland.

-There are two styles of infection:-
Normal Infection: These are normal everyday ailments that include that categories of fevers or colds. Due to the organism being somewhat airborne, it is more likely that you will be infected with said ailments. However, the organism increases the potency of said sicknesses nearly ten-fold, to a point of near death experience. An example: A fever may cause one to feel intense heat o the point where your body may begin to actually boil; destroying your body. This is an example of a possibly "slip-up" and will need to be considered.
Infected by the Organism: The worst possible scenario is dying from infection from the actual organism. Infection is possible through direct INTERNAL contact with the organism; so by any means that the fungal growth enters your body through eating, infected items at a wound, or etc, your infected. There is no "but" to this, as it happens immediately and there is no cure. The organism kills you over a period of 3 to 4 days. Symptoms are similar to that of the Creeping Derangea; in which the organism's fungal growth grows inside of you, pushing out from our skin causing large boils the size of your head or larger to appear. This causes immense pain in which it feels like your body is being eaten inside-out. Before death, your body explodes, spreading the organism around you. Note: This is very important to your survival of the wasteland, as the organism can spread into the wasteland unlike otherwise, which is not good.

The People of the Wasteland: As stated before, the Wasteland has a good number of people in its vicinity, though many have already and still are quickly dying off. Many have composed together groups to survive in; small communities of around 15 people or so. Many have become bandits to prey on the resources of others. There are still some though that hold some semblance of humanity left however, and are friendly, though wary of strangers. It is your decision on the matter on what you wish to do with these other people, or to remain alone.

Equipment: This is an Apocalypse. As stated before, the organism has basically killed off or destroyed the majority of the world. Because of this, the majority of the weapons, buildings, and any supplies constructed in the wasteland are scrapped together by random parts and materials, and are not entirely reliable. Very few things are brand new in the wasteland, though the knowledge of said crafting of items and weapons is still retained in the memory of many, and with this knowledge, VERY FEW, THOUGH SOME new weapons and items can be crafted and used. However, as this is a rare occurrence, please use unique and rusted items in the world. Remember: this is not Earth, but it needs to be semi-realistic and needs to make sense! Be unique with it!

Player Location: To make things clearer on where you actually are in the game world, we are requesting that you mark where your character is on the main world map. This marker must be posted in each of your posts so all characters know where your location is. This allows for less confusion. Upon a successful application, we will assign you a color in your Personal Message / Convo. The assigned color is what you will use when marking your location on the world map. Lastly, you do NOT need to be on a specific Point of Interest. You can start out anywhere as long as you can point us out where it is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application and Format: As we are trying to make this RP more professional and easier to understand for the user-base and the Role-players themselves, as well as having players we can trust to actively participate in the roleplay, we have decided that an Application is the best choice in determining our playerbase. When filled out, please send it in a conversation or Personal message with both Myself, Sp3ct3r, as well as JKangaroo. We will then determine if you will be accepted into the roleplay. If you are not initially accepted, don't fret! We will be providing information to improve on your application inside the PM itself. Remember: YOU CAN JOIN IN THE ROLEPLAY AT ANY TIME. I repeat: ANY TIME THROUGHOUT THE RP IF YOU APPLY. This is the case because, although we want the experience to be more professional, we want it to be open to all players and people. Again, if you feel you cannot actively participate in the RP, please do not apply until you feel you have the ability to do so. Also: Please use any information above as a means to shape your character! Keep it realistic, but creative: this is an apocalypse after all!
Name:
Nickname (if any):
Character Traits:
-Height:
-Body Type:
-Basic Appearance:
-Personality
Equipment and Supplies:
Useful Skills:
Introduction to Character:
- Set Map Location:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being Contacted and Out of Character Talk: There is a OOC thread being posted alongside this one. Please keep any questions or ideas that you need clarification or discussion upon in that thread. We want to keep this thread clean of any Out of Character problems or nonsense in order to keep the story clear and be able to be comprehended without shifting through pages and pages of OOC. OOC in general tends to slow down and break up the thread. Please keep this in mind!

The thread is located HERE.

We also provide an IRC channel on esper.net
The channel name is #TheAfterstory. All welcome!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules:
1. Do not kill other Human Players. These people choose their own deaths. You may kill off NPC's but they require a reason to.
2. If you would like to talk OOC, then refer to our OOC thread here.
3. About food and water, refer to "The Wasteland, Food, and Infection" section.
4. Use items and situations that are realistic to the setting. Don't try to be overpowered. Follow the guidelines above as well.
5. Only accepted applicants may post on the thread.
Players List:
[GM] Sp3ct3r_2k11
[Co-GM] JKangaroo
Sp3ct3r_2k11
JKangaroo
midnightgirl24
HarmakPaul
77_is_the_best

If you are not included in this list, please say so via PM and i will add you as soon as possible.
World Map:
Maps of Areas of Interest:

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
Name: Drake
Nickname (if any): N/A
Character Traits:
-Height: 5 foot 6 (170cm I hopefully converted it right )
-Body Type: Strong upper body, athletic.
-Basic Appearance: Jet black hair, green eyes, black pants, Nike shoes :3, plain back t-shirt. Quiver and Bow.
-Personality: Very rash, overconfident, jumps to conclusions that may not always be right, type of person to smirk at others' failures.
Equipment and Supplies: Bow and quiver 24 arrows (his father owned it and was quite skilled at archery so when he died Drake took up the bow), backpack
Backpack contents: Flash light, weeks worth of canned food, a dead chicken (needs to be cooked, a fair sized drink bottle full of water), rusty dirk knife.
Useful Skills: Obviously archery, quite fast, great liar, good at surviving.
Character introduction:
As the sun finally shows itself after seeming like an eternity, Drake rises to his feet. He had another nightmare. He saw the man he slew in order to get the backpack he now wears everywhere he goes.
"My first kill" He thinks. "The first of many murders."
Drake studies his camp. He sees the 3 bandits he hired still asleep.
"Lousy cowards"
He takes a swig of his precious water while planning his attack.
His attack on a small village of the lake of Toban.
"And maybe then i'll find it... Finally find it..."

Reactions: JKangaroo

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
Name: Sintel Severen (Se vuh ruhn)
Nickname (if any): N/A
Character Traits:
-Height: Average; 5’ft 4’in.
-Body Type: Slim
-Basic Appearance: See: http://durian.blender.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/sintel_cover.jpg for tangible representation of how my character looks (somewhat)
  • ØShort, Red Hair, Long at the bangs to cover her eyes. (Brown Eyes)
  • ØSmall, red Bandana/kerchief hanging from neck area to protect from dust and poisonous weather
  • ØRough, brown gloves
  • ØWorn, brown hide vest over a white tank-top, sleeveless to compensate for the heat
  • ØSmall, light-brown tool-belt around waist
  • ØLong, brown pants; well fitted; ripped and patched up in places.
  • ØBrown hiking boots, extremely worn; appears to be almost falling apart to the naked eye
-Personality:
  • ØCalm, Quiet, and Intuitive; Sintel follows in her grandfather’s footsteps who she worked under as a fellow mechanic. Despite the clanker and grinding of the machines, Sintel tends to prefer silence while at work, letting her mind wander and letting the work get the better of her, always trying to improve her current masterpiece.
  • ØAt times, she also takes on the traits of Adventure and pep, normally trying to brighten up people with a smile, and her curiosity can make her wander while she works.
  • ØAfter recent events occurring during the effects after the catastrophe of the corruption and destruction of the bases of society, Sintel has taken a more cynical, serious, and reserved outlook on the world, changing pep to a more sarcastic undertaking(though failing much of the time, returning to her normal nature), but keeping a small sense of adventure. Tends to cross her arms and have an apathetic expression majority of the time.
Equipment and Supplies:
  • ØSmall, brown rucksack; single shoulder strap made of thin rope
  • ØWrench and Two Screwdrivers; one completely rusted, and Duck Tape
  • ØRusted Canteen with a hole near its top; hole covered by duck tape
  • ØRusted Can of dried meat, half eaten; Second Can of (5)dead, dried insects
  • ØFaded Photograph
Useful Skills:
  • ØMechanical Knowledge
  • ØResourceful
  • ØCan fit into small spaces
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Why am I allowed to remain here?
What purpose am I to serve?....
There is nothing left here now...
...But death, and sorrow...

I sighed, cocking my head back against that cold, rusted metal wall of that small shanty; my gaze casting itself across the unwavering sun; who's rays rained its power across the endless horizon...
As if I was awaiting an answer from the celestial being...
Hoping for some sort of sign...

I frowned and scoffed at the notion.
There would be no answer.
Even if something was truly looking down upon us...
They wouldn't answer.
For the universe itself has turned its back on us...
All of us...
"I don't even know why I even keep on walking..." I thought abrasively; even though I knew the reason...

The dust seemed to roll over me like a flowing wave; calm and majestic, cradling life in its palm as I sat there, with eyes closed.
I sighed, and brushed the hair from my face; the locks casting a shadow across my downcast eyes, blocking my view.
The wisps of tarnished hair seemed to reveal a small, brown scorpion placed perfectly upon my knee.

It was like a curtain, revealing an actor, ready for the stage.
Bravo! Unum pro meum bonum genitor! ~ I would have said once.
But no longer.

I swiped at it, hands quick, teeth, grinding into its flesh even more so.
I frowned as the last, depressing sounds of its screams died away across the winds; forever lost.
It was so small, so young....
It had so much promise...

...But it had no place in this world...
Just like we, it seemed.
I had no other choice...
I was only doing what was needed to be done...
What it seemed... Always had to be done...
A tear rolled down my face.
Drying up even before it hit that devilish, rugged ground.
Lost forever among the cracks of time...
Just as how everything else once had...

I took a feverish swig of my canteen, and stared back up into the endless sky.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Set Map Location: Random Shack/Shanty

M

midnightgirl24

Name: Tessa

Nickname (if any): Tess

Character Traits:

-Height: 5ft 10in

-Body Type:Slender

-Basic Appearance:Long black hair that stops at the middle of her back. She wears a black hoodie with silver markings on the sleeves and a heart on the back. She wears black jeans and a simple of Converse. Her body is quite slender, her skin, pale.

-Personality: She does not trust anyone, and it takes quite a long time before she could trust anyone. She is a very quiet person that isolates herself. She rarely smiles and laughs. She has a very short temper.
Equipment and Supplies:She only carries 3 shards of glass.

Useful Skills:She is able to negotiate very well. She is a capable fighter.

Tessa, standing atop a hill outside the town of Veritan, stares, looking deep into the wasteland, isolating herself from the town of about 30 or more people, recorded after the outbreak. Her black hair brushes against her face as a slight wind blows. She stares intently, as though she is trying to see beyond the wasteland. She starts to have many thoughts run through her mind.

I'm tired of being in this place..I want to venture away from here and find somewhere new...The people here are nice, but I want to be on my own for once...but..Will I honestly find someone other than the people of this town?
Will they be friendly?

She ponders each thought and question, but shakes each off.

I can't let my nerves get to me. That will probably be the death of me.All I know is, I'm tired of this town. I want to go somewhere...somewhere away from this place...I don't care what it takes..I will face the wrath of this wasteland as I journey through it..

- Set Map Location: Veritan

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
Name: Zeo
Nickname (if any): Slick
Character Traits:
-Height: 5 feet exactly.
-Body Type: Thin
-Basic Appearance: Black hair that goes down to his neck, pale skin, skinny, bloodshot eyes, barefoot, feet blistered, wearing a dark brown sweatshirt and black sweatpants
-Personality: He is introverted and enjoys being on his own, but knows the importance of being in a group in the wasteland. He can be kinda annoying at times. Ever since the Organism caused the population to die out, he's been becoming more mature. Doesn't know anything about the organism.
Equipment and Supplies: A dagger his dad used to own, a small backpack, some binoculars, food and drinks from his old house, what he finds in the introduction
Useful Skills: Able to hide in the shadows, good with thievery, photographic memory (though has never seen how to craft anything and doesn't know how to do many jobs)
I can't stop thinking about it... everything's been happening so quickly... I don't even know what though... Why am I special though? What makes me different than everyone else? Everyone that's dead! Mom, dad, my little sis... just thinking about it makes me want to kill someone!

Zeo walked for what had seemed like forever. He noticed a mountain range in the distance.

Finally some change in terrain. Maybe I can settle down over there for the time being.

He headed for the tallest mountain. An hour later, he reached an area of the mountain that seemed somewhat flat. He took out his binoculars and scanned the area. He saw an oasis off in the distance and was relieved.

Before he went to explore the oasis, he went into a cave inside the mountain. In there he saw a man starting a fire. The man's sword was lying next to him. Zeo slipped into the shadows, took out his dagger and watched him. When the man finished, Zeo ran at him and stabbed him in the back. After he was sure the man was dead, he kicked the corpse a few times.

That feels so much better... I think I should keep the body as a punching bag in case I ever get stressed.

Zeo put his dagger away, paying no attention to the fact that it was stained with blood. He rummaged through the man's bag and found a box of matches, an empty plastic jar, a broken camera and a slab of pork steak. Zeo's eyes lit up when he saw it.

Even though the world is ending, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy some of my favorite food, does it?

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
The sun felt like a malicious beast; its rays feelings like claws gnawing its way into my skin as if I was a lone, tasty morsel amoung a sea of bones and carcasses, picked clean by the buzzards. It was like my own little slice of hell, if there was one in the first place;
At least, that was what I had thought as I walked down that cruel road.

"If only I had some better means of travel. A car would work, even if it was completely rusted over or broken down; at least then I could fix it somewhat..."

I slugged across that great expanse; head drooped, and sweat pouring off my brow.
Uncapping my canteen, I lifted it to my forehead and let the water's sweat embrace flow over me, yet it fell in a shallow trickle across the bridge of my nose.

It surprised me as I sloshed the remaining liquid inside the circular container, though savoring the brief respite it gave me from the dreaded heat.
I laughed at myself;

So low on supplies it seems...
Didn't think I would be going out like this; it just wasn't my style.

It made me put on a smug grin just by thinking about it.
It made me look up at the horizon and sigh.

"It would even keep me out of this sunshine. A good bit of shade never hurt anyone.
Plus I think I'm getting bunions on my feat from all this walking. Ol' Gran would be proud, wouldn't she Papa?
Seeing her old girl growing into an old woman so soon? Heh..."

I took another swig from the can.

"Perhaps I could even find some water with it if I was lucky..."

I sighed again.
Perhaps I wouldn't be reaching my destination as I had planned.
Veritan felt like a place so far away.
It was supposed to be the spot survivors from the outlying cities were supposed to head to in case any disaster struck...
At least, that's what I had heard anyways.

I turned my head; a tumbleweed had danced across a single corpse.
It was so small...
Almost the size of a child...

I shook my head.
There probably wouldn't be anyone there. People probably either fled, or were already dead.
I knew that since the beginning.
There wouldn't be anything there but death, and pitiful dreams.
But... Where else could I go?
It was the only risk I could take...

I sighed, and walked on toward the horizon.

Set Map Location: Walking toward Veritan by means of the Road. (So I'm heading toward the Gas Station)

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Name: Jack Robert
Nickname (if any): None
Character Traits:
-Height: 5 foot 8
-Body Type: Fit and strong but lack of food has taken its toll.
-Basic Appearance: Short brown hair with brown eyes, faded and tattered white shirt and brown pants. Wearing a linen camoflauge cloak that was made from a strangely coloured bedsheet.
-Personality: With smart and straightfoward thinking, he is very strategic. Very loyal to those who have gained his respect but is the worst enemy to have in the world.
Equipment and Supplies: A sword, slightly rusted which was a family heirloom, (which accounts for it being well taken care of) a rusted canteen of water and a week's supply of canned food.
Useful Skills: Strategic personality, great melee fighter and competent at camoflauge.
Jack travelled along the main highway keeping his eyes open for any kind of ambush or otherwise that could spell his end. Jack had only just managed to escape the clutches of the organism, his friends he knew weren't so lucky. He allowed a tear to fall in memory of those who had fallen victim to the organism, he had heard that being infected meant a slow and painful death. Those who knew they were infected finished it quickly and took their lives. They knew there was no hope, no cure had been found... and Jack knew a cure would never be found either, not now at least.
The sun was close to its strongest and travelling out in the full sun was never a good idea. Luckly Jack noticed a small outcrop of rock he could shelter underneath in the heat. Walking slowly to the outcrop Jack kept his eyes peeled, a spot like this was sure to be favourable to bandits for raiding as it would be frequented by people travelling along the road. However the area was clear, so Jack crawled underneath the outcrop and settled down then proceeded to take a sip from his canteen. "Half empty, I'll need more" he said to himself, but Jack never took his eyes off the horizon.

- Set Map Location:Heading towards Veritan

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
"GET UP NOW" Drake yells.
Its an hour later since Drake woke up. And the fools are still sleeping.
"UP I SAID, UP!"
The first Bandit to wake up and stand for his hirer was a man named Barton. He was a quicker thinker which is why Drake gave him second in command of their small party
"My apologies" Barton says.
"Don't suck up to me! Come on Ivan and Jesper, It's time to discuss our plan to infiltrate the town down by the lake!"
The party of 4 sit around in the centre of the camp.
"Ok. This is what we are going to do..."

M

midnightgirl24

A young girl, no older than sixteen, ran toward Tessa.
"Tessa!" she called.
Tessa looked over her shoulder, not surprised by this interruption.
"What is it Maria?"
"Why aren't you in the village?"
"Because I need time to think about things Maria," Tessa sighed.
Maria was the one girl in Veritan that had to know everyone's personal business. It didn't matter how sad, depressing, or gruesome it was. If it was in someone's life, Maria had to know about it.
Tessa turned her head, looking back into the Wasteland.
"Besides, you never know when someone could be approaching this town. I'm someone who would like to keep tabs on that." Tessa replied, continuing to look into the empty Wasteland.
"Well you shouldn't be out here. It is danger-"
"Maria leave! I have no time to deal with your annoyances!" Tessa snapped.
Maria fell silent, and slowly walked back toward the town.
Damn girl. She needs to learn to stay out of some people's business. She needs to definitely stay out of mine. I don't need a whole town learning that I may leaving them. I could leave, and as sad as it sounds, I know I may never return, considering I could die in this place.
Tessa sighed heavily and continued watching the Wasteland.
I need to figure out what I want to do with this life of mine.