[POLL] Do you think snowballs, fishing rods and bows should be banned in KoTL?

Projectiles on KoTL

• Fair

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Unfair

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe.

What would be neat is if players were auto-equipped with snowballs, a fishing-rod, and bows/arrows whenever they get sent to KoTL. That way, everyone will have those weapons to use and there will be more chaos. \o/

Reactions: 1 person

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but to me, King of the Ladder infers a 'fight with any legally made item to retain standing on top of the ladder' for the duration of KotL. Removing these items feels like it takes away from that. Essentially making it 'King of the Sword-play on the Ladder' since, unless your sword broke and you're using an axe or something else, you'd more than likely be using a sword. Yes, it's really rude to climb a ladder with the person on top wielding a bow firing down on you (using a max enchanted bow, instant kill for armor-less users), but that's part of the strategy. You can use a bow from the ground to fire the person off from behind without them even seeing. Or you could use a fishing rod to climb up and send it up after them, causing knockback without actual damage. This would cause them to fall off. Or hell, use snowballs while climbing up. No drawback time to enhance damage. It's just an instant fire which goes pretty high up. Yeah, using a sword climbing the ladder with someone wielding a bow/fishing rod/snowball is 'unfair' for new players, but most of us are Master/Grandmaster rank. We've been around long enough to have obtained a 'good' bow and/or loads of snowballs.. /:

Reactions: Calfish

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna toss this extremely common scenario in as basis.

You have only a sword. Guy up top has a fishing rod or a bow. Completely impossible to dislodge him.

Fair/Unfair?

Reactions: 755someone755
W

Wimali

Maybe.

What would be neat is if players were auto-equipped with snowballs, a fishing-rod, and bows/arrows whenever they get sent to KoTL. That way, everyone will have those weapons to use and there will be more chaos. \o/
I was thinking about this earlier. Why not just give everyone a different inventory just for KoTL, where everyone has the same weapons? I doubt it would be very difficult to do.

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier. Why not just give everyone a different inventory just for KoTL, where everyone has the same weapons? I doubt it would be very difficult to do.
There's a plugin which changes inventories for players upon entering a new world, so yes it's relatively easy to do. It's just a question of whether or not andy/dess/dirt/ron would approve of moving KotL into a new world + adding this plugin.

IQD

Contributor
Reaction score
There's a plugin which changes inventories for players upon entering a new world, so yes it's relatively easy to do. It's just a question of whether or not andy/dess/dirt/ron would approve of moving KotL into a new world + adding this plugin.
I don't see the harm in giving it a test run for a week or so.

• Thank You
Reactions: 755someone755

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I will reference this very similar post made a few months ago, as my opinion there is still valid.

To be honest i'm getting tired of these discussions about Kotl. I can tell you that in a staff meeting weeks ago, we agreed that ALL WEAPONS AND ARMOR ARE LEGAL.
Infact, the only thing we decided was illegal is leaving the spawn area, killing, and walking back in; but that was fixed with the iron doors.

I'm sorry if the extreme emphasis offends anyone, but I've had to argue this point several times now. Kotl has been almost the same since it's beginning. Besides the iron doors and occasional lay-out change, no rules have changed and, frankly, i don't think they need to. Players can still win with an ordinary bow. Having god armor/weapons might ensure a grandmaster gets alot of kills, but it does not ensure their victory. I see people of different ranks winning everyday.

Now i understand some people are very skilled and win almost everytime they play. These people (usually GMs) have spent DAYS worth of hours building up their arsenal. So yes, maybe it does seem unfair, but they worked for it.

Ultimately, this is just a mini-game. And the prizes, imo, suck. 90% of the time i got 8 coal. It doesn't take but a few minutes to make charcoal. The chances of winning Iron, Gold, Emeralds, or Diamonds are significantly lower (and in less quantities), and although it's a nice surprise, it's not worth getting upset at people. If you lose to an "O.P" player, keep playing the rounds and gaining cookies and eventually you'll have the same abilities they do.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Alright here is my two cents on it.

I am looking at this from a player's stand point. Almost every single Master+ has a highly enchanted diamond sword and armour that could kill people in one hit or two. How would that even be close to fair to the new players who have nothing? KotL while it is a pvp focused minigame doesn't need to be ruled by the 'high rank hierarchy' in which they will just kill everybody.

I have seen it numerous times where sometimes, the people that are using those items don't even want to climb the ladder that much. They will sometimes then just camp the top but face it, they also use swords and other weapons. Overall I think disabling these items would be a very very poor choice especially to the new players.

Tamsanity

Reaction score
I think they should be allowed. It's all about strategy.
It gives players something to gather materials for, to work towards better armour and weapons..
I agree it would be nice to do something like a mini AoD game where each player is equipped with a new inventory,
it would encourage more competition, I think
I personally don't bother with KoTL because I don't find it super entertaining, the reason being I generally don't hunt for materials in-game at all.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
KOTL is my favorite part of RoF, granted I don't play RoF frequently but I love playing KOTL. If you remove projectiles you're turning a balanced pvp scenario between not well equipped new players and extremely well equipped GMs totally lopsided (Its aready lopsided but this won't help). Another thing to add, you can't call it pvp and ban bows. I mean god, bows are pvp, same with rods and snowballs. They're all a part of pvp and stradegy. If you're having trouble knocking somone off because they use projectiles it seems to me the first solution would be to make a bow and use it in the next round rather then trying to ban bows. Now I'm no genius but for you people with several sets of diamond armor and tons of resources that should be pretty easy.

Reactions: RyanDodd

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
EDIT: DAMN YOU! YOU NINJA-Y HAT-WEARING LLAMA!

When you think about it. KotL induces kind of a paradox.
The players who need the reward items for winning are the ones who are lesser-equipped and thus less likely to win.
The more advanced players who don't need the reward items have higher equips and thus need the items less more than the under-equipped. To be honest. I think it's best fair to just remove players' inventories when starting KotL. That way everyone has a fair chance. Nobody needs to bug the staff that someone is running around in full diamond armor with sharpness 5, fire aspect 2, hooma-la-doodle-enchantment-name-here level fifteen-hundred-six-thousand-and-nine running around hitting everyone and not even climbing the ladder.

Back to projectiles. You keep climbing up the ladder just for the guy ontop to snipe you down constantly over and over while you are equipped with a sword. That's the equivalent of trying to brute-force a self-repairing door that gives high-voltage deadly shocks everytime something comes even bloody close to the damn thing.

In the end: KotL is less about skill and fun but more about the guy who has the beefier armor and supplies just to go and as commonly and famously quoted by myself.
Witty remark by Fiesta said:
Projectiles just takes the fun out of KotL. Rolls it up into a roll. And then sticks it up the other players' [EXPLETITIVE]

D

DarkHender

its unfair but personally just get a bow shoot people down.
I accidentally voted unfair at the top without thinking it through. If people are smart enough to save snowballs/get fishing rods and whatever else I think its ok. I think its bogus when people use diamond armor and god enchants against players and people that have nothing
but they all get it legit so I see no unfair advantage there but its not fun for a lot of people and they quit~

IQ's/X's idea is good imo

ShadeSlayer98

Reaction score
I don't see much of a problem with the over power stuff in kotl. I mean it's really hard to get that stuff and they earned it. Why can't they use it to win? Now your taking it away from them because the newer players don't have it. I was a newer player and I was killed all the time because of the crap stuff I had but that made me want to play more and get that op stuff. It feels like your babying the newer players. Have a little faith that they will want to get better at the game and get better stuff. Making it even in my opinion will eventually make it very bored afterwhile. Just to give an example. If aod wanted everything even then we would make a flat map give everyone the same stuff and fight. How boring would that be? I just think if they earned the stuff they made they should be able to use it.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
My opinion on the bows:
We simply need more maps with massive hoards of cobwebs, chickens, and gravel (possibly exaggerating on "massive hoards") so that people of all ranks have easier access to bow/arrow material and don't have to hunt 20 skeletons for good ranged weapons. Snowballs are fine, seeing as there are maps that are literally 80%+ snow blocks, and fishing rods are also easy to make. So unless a guy is camping with a max-enchant pow 5 punch 2 blah bow, it theoretically shouldn't be too hard to get a fishing rod or bow (arrows are a little hard to mass produce).

My opinion on the armor (at least as of now):
I'm fine with people wearing armor and stuff in Kotl. I'm fine with people sending me flying with a kb 2 iron sword.
I will not, however, tolerate that little punk who runs circles around the ladder in full god-diamond armor and sword, insta-killing everyone who approaches said ladder, and not even feeling a scratch when I come and slash them a few times with a sharp 2 iron sword.
The only ways I can think to remedy this is to have new pitfalls (That lead to void so as not to ruin armor and to guarantee death) that either surround the ladder (thus, allowing people to more easily bypass these god-punks, so that KoTL is not KoTK [King of The Kills]), or what the murderous llama said about alt-inventories.

I know I haven't really been playing much of anything blocktopia as of late... Kind of addicted to dwarves vs zombies right now.

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE THINK OF THIS BEFORE :O
IVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR MONTHS NOW

Most bows on KOTL are OP. Making one doesn't ensure me I'll get Punch X and Fire Aspect on it (like many bows of our beloved gms+ are).
If it was just normal swords (perhaps armor too) that's be a lot better than fighting somebody with an overpowered bow and sword.

That said though, everyone with the same kits would be boring (and it's mighty
We need to find an alternative to this.
How about just letting people have their sword and armor but disable bows/snowballs/rods in kotl?

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
How about just letting people have their sword and armor but disable bows/snowballs/rods in kotl?
And have someone like Deadface come up the tower with his bloody Overpowered Knockback V Diamond sword and hit you off like a pincushion? Get Real. :p

Armor is also not a fair thing to have, because if you had full Diamond like a certain Overpowered few Masters and almost the whole of the GrandMasters then you would weigh down like a boulder, and with that, I see three+ people desperately trying to get just mere seconds of time as king by hitting off that ONE guy at the top with full Iron or full Diamond.

I am wholeheartedly with Andy on this one, do an Inventory Wipe on entry and an Inventory Restore on exit. It can be done with command blocks and pressure plates and would take less than 5-10 minutes to implement.

Hopefully, I mean, command blocks are easy, but I wonder if the four+ pressure plates and four+ command blocks will fit in that tiny little entrance and tiny little exit of KoTL

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
And have someone like Deadface come up the tower with his bloody Overpowered Knockback V Diamond sword and hit you off like a pincushion? Get Real. :p

Armor is also not a fair thing to have, because if you had full Diamond like a certain Overpowered few Masters and almost the whole of the GrandMasters then you would weigh down like a boulder, and with that, I see three+ people desperately trying to get just mere seconds of time as king by hitting off that ONE guy at the top with full Iron or full Diamond.

I am wholeheartedly with Andy on this one, do an Inventory Wipe on entry and an Inventory Restore on exit. It can be done with command blocks and pressure plates and would take less than 5-10 minutes to implement.

Hopefully, I mean, command blocks are easy, but I wonder if the four+ pressure plates and four+ command blocks will fit in that tiny little entrance and tiny little exit of KoTL
i have a knockback x sword if that helps

755someone755

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I've lost count of how many times I've won against people with full armor with a stone sword.
Other than the bows and the like and the absurd amounts of op enchants (fire aspect, knockback X, sharpness X etc), it's more about skill than the equipment.
Then again, even with a diamond sword, I can't kill a Shande because of his op sword. But, to counter that, at least 2 or 3 people get on his arse and start killing him so he doesn't win.
The weaklings work together (read: more teamwork) and everybody just has to do their best.

What we're trying to do here with changing KoTL is a sword that cuts both ways -- on the one hand, nobody will be overpowered, but on the other, the battle will be losing its edge.
I mean, would AoD be fun if there weren't any overpowered kits? Yes, you start raging because you got killed and it wasn't really fair, but it's like playing SMB, Flappy Bird or Electronic Super Joy -- they're all rage games and that's part of what makes them good. And I think we can all agree that the rage factor is something that has very much become part of the game (especially since somebody gave IQ a lot of power and now we have friggin javelins flying around, but it's been a rage-minigame for a long time now).

I for one would find another solution before just taking a big factor that, in a way, defines KoTL away.

IQD

Contributor
Reaction score

That never happens.