[Poll, also general discussion about past SMP's] Lets have chat about DoD ascentors.

What was your favourite past SMP?

• Total voters

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Does anyone has screenshots of SMP 0 or SMP 1?

I have a screenshot of SMP 0. It's from August 30, 2010.

-snipped image-

I don't know what the first ever map of JJJ's SMP was, but I do remember a couple maps afterwards.
The first map I remember when I bought Minecraft and joined the server for the first time, was a snowy map.
The second map was a normal grass map.
The third map I remember vaguely, but I think it had a bunch of floating islands.

(My two favorite SMP servers are SMP 0 and JtE).
Dat alpha screenie :)
MC didn't had stand-alone launcher like in Beta or nowadays?
I wonder how ore distribution looked these times, and what underground was like.

Eighth SMP server is arriving in coming weeks, so I decided to make this thread.

Soo... what was biggest clans in past servers?
Does anyone has screenshots of SMP 0 or SMP 1?
Did actually these two SMPs had any plugins?
How buggy SMP 0 or SMP 1 was?
Did SMP 0 - SMP 3 had any storyline?
What was inspiration for Primordia?
When Primordia started to fall apart (like staff getting overloaded, server straying from storyline, plugins crashing and being unstable)?
How many people were getting killed on SMP 4 daily?
What was true reasons of Elysium being mainly PvE server?
What inspired Marnixxie and his team to create JtE?
What past SMP did biggest drops of playerbase on other servers?
Can you guys share curiosities about all previous servers?
1.For a start: SILVERVALE. SILVERVALE EVERYWHERE. Seriously, they always crop up like a an opposite version of herpes where everyone loves them.
It was bigger than Sancti or these Sancti-sized LoP clans? o.o
How many players were part of it?

2.I have a few left, not many though :( hard drive caught of fire (You think I'm joking. I'm not joking.)
:(

In the spoiler is all the pictures I can find from BT early versions (and a few later versions)

The cactus farm that broke SMPV1

My first "city", a small project made all out of stone.

ROME, the first official settlement of the server, looking at you, gonkus.

ROME (again)

One of the staff islands nearish to hollowbastion.

My cringeworthy sign

THE AQUEDUCT. MY FIRST EVER BUILD ON THIS (Because buckets weren't allowed of water or lava due to grief issues and I found a water block at the top of the hill so I made the aqueduct to go down to the valley. I think it was Shinyshark who "modified" it to make it into a boat slide and got banned for a day or something.

The natural lavachute, glass covered for protection.

The lonely floating island, I ensured this would never be touched.

Overview of settlements, with hollowbastion circled.

Phantom's snow rooms for christmas!

GmK's best friend: The stargate.

PickyerPoison got bored outside Silvervale

Me in the silvervale tower balcony.

I think this was in SMP v2.

Primordia's Desert Jump challenge. One of the final jumps was brutal.

The ice jump challenge. I completed it within an hour of it's release.

I think it was Shiny who set up this dance party.

404 challenge, post primordia

Post primordia server, the SS primordia. I was working on a giant 150 radius floating ship. I had gotten all the flooring laid down (at the cost of a flipping oak forest) only for the server to shut down.
Dat Megatron and Araidian and Goku and GrantaClause(?). But I cant recognize anyone else lol.
Also 404 even wasn't pre-primordia, as 1.8 update rendered impossible to create or somethings?
I remember jump courses, but couldn't complete it, was waiting for sprinting, but :(
There were too many markers lol on this livemap screenie with Hollow Bastion on it.

3.Yeah, Money and trading plugins were incorporated, with custom sized portals and custom material portals being purchaseable, as well as city titles etc.
Oh yeah, I saw spawn town during Werewolf #2013 event server.

4.SMP V0 had chunk issues left right and centre, whole chunks would reset, and considering the map was relatively small, it was a pain in the arse.
SMP V1 had relatively decent stability from what I remember.
Ouh. Poor SMP 0, and what about SMP 2? SMP 3 was stable from what I saw, but I had short experience with it.

5.Can't remember a storyline.
mmk.

6.Not sure what the inspiration for Primordia was, I had resigned from staffing by that point.
Well, for me Dagon stinks with Mehrunes Dagon (Skyrim demon), and Gaia/Aeres with Greek gods.

7.It fell apart because the new update rendered a lot of the plugins useless. It was a shame, I liked Orken, the Primus capital.
Well, this yes, 1.2 update, but also failed concepts too... Gaia getting inactive and Crafter branch being destroyed. Ouh.

8.IDK LOL I avoid conflict.
LOLOL

9.I think JTE was intended on being fuelled by the storyline, with players contributing to the story via events. Unfortunately, a large number of the leading staff resigned from JtE leads during the early days, giving more work on the newer head figures IIRC.
So basically JtE was meant for intercontinental flights, but due to unforeseen stuff it can do only flights inside of a continent?

10. Ask Marnixxie and his team.
Well, that was question to everyone.

11. I don't know really.
Mmk.

12. In SMP v1 creeper hills was evacuated after all the members in that town were found to be running an illegal logging facility using the bridges plugin to get infinite wood. They severely manipulated the trading plugin.
In SMP v4 (pre-JtE), if you go to the harbourside area of Silvervale and enter the inn there's an entirely man made cavern with a lava flooring that I made in a week with too many pickaxes.
In JtE, there are a set of floating man made islands that I build over the course of 2 months. They can be accessed by pearl (with a good aim) or by portal only.
In the SMP with the central island that's an mc schematic, I transformed the cave near spawn into a safe haven, with tributes to Primordia and with farms and stuff with enough to get people started. I also checked spawn for grief and reported and fixed it all up. I named my one man clan the spawnguard.
I remember that there WAS once a download for SMPv0 but the world was slightly corrupted IIRC. I have a copy of the area that was hollowbastion somewhere. I visit it for nostalgic purposes once in a while.
Thank you, nice to know :)
I put my farther questions/comments inside of that quote.

Soo... what was biggest clans in past servers?
I know that Silvervale/Lantern was pretty big in one of the MindCrafty SMPs. Also ended up being quite dominant and hated. :p
Why they were hated? Did they raid everyone?
How big these towns were?

How buggy SMP 0 or SMP 1 was?
JabJabJab's server was quite buggy, being Alpha, but it was fix'd a bit when Beta came out.
mmk.

Did SMP 0 - SMP 3 had any storyline?
From what I recall, no. SMP 0 was primarily a build-ish server, as there was no PvP, while SMP 1 ~ SMP 3 was more towny.
Did players were roleplaying after all?
Or it was all "Lets build a city and rule"

What was inspiration for Primordia?
... You know, I would like to know, as well. I was just picked to be a clan leader back then. *Opening Gaian Leader*
Well, I think we would know, if forums didn't broke in mean time lol. LoP from I heard was getting baked for 3 months, and forums were released ~2 months before it.

When Primordia started to fall apart (like staff getting overloaded, server straying from storyline, plugins crashing and being unstable)?
Actually, I think it started to fall because it was getting less and less people being active on it. The server was meant for tons of people to play, and less people started playing it.
Dagon stayed active to end. It was mostly Giaia/Primus and Freelances leaving server.
I remember it always hitting 60 - 70 players during evenings in my timezone.
Also dat lava chat in Dagon channel...
So server could be all Dagon, like JtE was all Sancti at the end.

Not to mention the fact that some classes were so overpowered, we had to disable the fact you can't PvP class tiers below you. That was probably another turn off for most.
Oh yeah dat Warlord... If I was PvPr in USA timezone and had /locate command I could've kill 20 - 40 players per day.

How many people were getting killed on SMP 4 daily?
Well, with people like LagWarrior being the highest tier possible, I'd bet not as much as there usually would.
Living at spawn was like living at the edge. #YOLO much.

But, I do know I tried to make my clan peaceful, and most people left just to be able to PvP... So, not so sure. :p
k. :p

What was true reasons of Elysium being mainly PvE server?
People complaining about PvP. Nothing more, nothing less.
Also lack of plugins - some said, that server was boring without plugins.

And now people complain about having almost no PvP. We're coming full circle. :p
Haha yeah :p

What past SMP did biggest drops of playerbase on other servers?
If I had to guess, probably Primordia, near its beginning stages. It was quite popular when it first came out, as everyone loved the idea of the class system that was being introduced.
Mmk.
And why I could freely join classic at end/after end of Primordia, when it was almost impossible before? Mad4potter the hacker, AoD and A+T happened? Is that actually reason for that?
Also I remember, that I almost stopped playing Classic, when LoP came out, and didn't got back to it as much I used to play.

Can you guys share curiosities about all previous servers?
Well, from what I can recall, all servers before Primordia didn't have a story set to them... (And we liked it!) They were all about making towns and PvP. Eventually, we got town systems in which you can have chunks of land that were protected, as well as an lwc that can protect some of your chests. Apparently, most people disliked this, or something, so we never used it again.
Well, LWC was dropped in LoP for realism, and never brought back afterwards, as blocking chests was as efficient.

We also had shops in MindCrafty's servers. Shops, and currency.
mmk

Oh, not to mention LagWarrior's wool shop. Still have a pic of that, Lag?
How hard to get was brown dye?
I added questions/comments inside of that quote.
Okay Danni ;)

Edgar Harford can you create 8 bit theme songs for each SMP using my graph as guide?
-snipped image-
Example: SMP 0 was the beginning theme.
LoP could use some Spanish inquisitions theme.
Elysium - Christmas carol "Peace on Earth, Glory to god" or something.
DoD would be Wild West theme.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
no
too lazy
:(

Looks like I did SMP analysis in time dimension :p

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I know that Silvervale/Lantern was pretty big in one of the MindCrafty SMPs. Also ended up being quite dominant and hated. :p
They were generally hated because of the fact they raided everyone, but Lantern. And that pretty much answers question two.

These towns were decent sized. Smaller than CTY, but definitely bigger than a house. Along with Lantern connected to Silvervale, it make it look like a gigantic place.

Dunno how much to compare it. I'm not sure how many chunks these towns filled. xP

From what I recall, no. SMP 0 was primarily a build-ish server, as there was no PvP, while SMP 1 ~ SMP 3 was more towny.
Actually, there was literally absolutely no RP, from what I recall. Maybe some small bits here and there, pretending to be quiet when raiding and stealing, but we didn't really care much for RP, or even think about it.

If I had to guess, probably Primordia, near its beginning stages. It was quite popular when it first came out, as everyone loved the idea of the class system that was being introduced.
Mmk.
And why I could freely join classic at end/after end of Primordia, when it was almost impossible before? Mad4potter the hacker, AoD and A+T happened? Is that actually reason for that?
Also I remember, that I almost stopped playing Classic, when LoP came out, and didn't got back to it as much I used to play.
I can't really quite answer that, as I don't really know what you're talking about. O. o

I'm sure it was pretty difficult, considering the only place you could get cocoa beans were from dungeon chests. xD

EDIT: Also, from what I recall, the wool shop was just a comedy thing from LagWarrior, as his skin was (and probably still is) of a sheep. :p

Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
They were generally hated because of the fact they raided everyone, but Lantern. And that pretty much answers question two.

These towns were decent sized. Smaller than CTY, but definitely bigger than a house. Along with Lantern connected to Silvervale, it make it look like a gigantic place.

Dunno how much to compare it. I'm not sure how many chunks these towns filled. xP
I meant how many people were in these clans - 50? 100?.

Actually, there was literally absolutely no RP, from what I recall. Maybe some small bits here and there, pretending to be quiet when raiding and stealing, but we didn't really care much for RP, or even think about it.
Okay.

Mmk.
I can't really quite answer that, as I don't really know what you're talking about. O. o
Ugh, I meant what happened to Classic, as it never regained its crowd after shutdown of Primordia.
Did players simply moved to AoD/A+T/BB, when Primordia shut down?
I remember, when Madapotter hacked minecraft.net, so no one could join Classic in late December BTW, but don't remember if popularity of Classic restored after it.

I'm sure it was pretty difficult, considering the only place you could get cocoa beans were from dungeon chests. xD
Heh, and breeding wasn't here too... so brown wool was luxury XD
Answers are in bold black.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com

Well, Beta wasn't as popular at the time, as Classic was the running successor... So, I'd like to say 20~30, but only around 5~8 people on at once. Silvervale was definitely, usually, the one town to have the most people on at once.

Mmk.
Ugh, I meant what happened to Classic, as it never regained its crowd after shutdown of Primordia.
I remember, when Madapotter hacked minecraft.net, so no one could join Classic in late December BTW, but don't remember if popularity of Classic restored after it.

Well, once Classic died out, everyone assumed Classic was dead for real.

After they couldn't get back on the servers, most people didn't go back. There was more problems with it than just this hacker, so I suppose it just ended up dying in the end.

• Informative
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Well, Beta wasn't as popular at the time, as Classic was the running successor... So, I'd like to say 20~30, but only around 5~8 people on at once. Silvervale was definitely, usually, the one town to have the most people on at once.
Hmmm... so all clans in all SMPs were small villages as in population except Gaia, Dagon, Primus, Aeres and Sancti :p
Is someone here ready for Big Clan Challange?

Well, once Classic died out, everyone assumed Classic was dead for real.

After they couldn't get back on the servers, most people didn't go back. There was more problems with it than just this hacker, so I suppose it just ended up dying in the end.
Well... I went missing after shutdown of Primordia - early March I think, and came back in middle of April to be only invited by V SMP drama :p. I think, thats why I never liked this SMP XD
Also A+T/AoD/BB were active.
Then all of it was clear: Classic was bleeding out, and I thought we will shut classic servers by 2015.
Also premium became a thing - we couple more premium servers, not just CMP/SMP.
Answers are bolded in this quote.

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
Here's what I have of my SMP life:

http://imgur.com/a/aYidt

Feel free to ask me more about anything about smp's history.
Correction about this:

This wasn't 'Terragon,' but rather something I made on an old map. This was a combination of Clockwork and myself. I could probably find my old screenshots of it, somewhere on my PC. Just lemme go do a .png file search.

The Phantom

Mr. Sexy Cobblestone
Reaction score
Duffie said:
I know that Silvervale/Lantern was pretty big in one of the MindCrafty AND PHANTOM'S SMPs. Also ended up being quite dominant and hated. :p
Duffie said:
We also had shops in MindCrafty AND PHANTOM'S servers. Shops, and currency.
Mikey said:
MindCrafty AND PHANTOM always will have the best SMP
Fixed that for you. :I

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
  • Agree
Reactions: The Phantom

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Just look at livemap!
I also I was exploring 1.7 SP world before for testing new terrain generation.
I agree that the map does look good from the livemap. Just saying not to be too early to judge before playing on the map.
Ummm... I already took a look at 1.7 world... its just different seed.