[Please read] Advice on making maps

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
What I see now is that the server has sooo many rather bad maps for the server that have insanely bad gameplay, just made around making it as easy as possible to survive on. Here are some things you really should keep in mind when making a map.

Secrets
In general, just don't make secrets, just don't. Secrets don't fit in a survival servers, it's boring for the rest of the players because sometimes they have to wait ages before you are found, there shouldn't be places where you can almost always win, there's just everything wrong with using them. I'm pretty tired of seeing secrets everywhere, we want to motivate players to find and build a good hiding place instead of just going to the same place every time.

Note: If you really, really, really want to add a secret, don't make a random secret somewhere that only a few regular players know about. Instead, make a secret that is rather obvious when thinking.

Adminium
Don't overuse adminium in maps, give the players as much freedom as possible on most maps. Of course there are certain maps that really need it but then it's really a part of the map (I.E. bootcamp - tomb), what I see now is that in every map adminium is used to pretty much restrict the player from going anywhere on the map.

Note: Don't be afraid to use some adminium however, but then do it because it's really necessary to block some things off, don't just use it for the sake of having adminium in your maps. Gradokeep is a good example of good use of adminium.

Note: Jump courses in maps are normally not such a good idea, only when it are runner maps like Rungasm, just making a jump course for no good reason is most of the time not fitting and rather annoying on a map.

Map size
Lately almost every map that is made is a 128^3 map, this is because of:
  • The adminium that everyone wants to use everywhere on the map so bigger maps are needed.
  • People always want to make pro-human maps so it's easier to survive, keep in mind that surviving should be a challenging thing. A pro-zombie map is always better than a real pro-human map, zombies are supposed to win a little more rounds than humans do, and if humans survive they should only be with 2-4 humans max.
Quite long ago almost all maps were in a 64^3 size, which in my opinion is a way better option than 128^3 in most cases.

Note: I can see that people will complains about bear grylls getting too hard, but it's a silly award and nothing more and should not break the gameplay by getting all huge maps.

Linear maps
Lately there have been coming some maps out that have 'a starting point' and 'an end', what I mean with this is that players spawn on one side of the map and there is one (or multiple) paths to an ending point. There are pretty much 2 types of these sort of maps, linear and circle maps. (Examples of linear maps are portal(2) and labyrinth and an example of a circle map are kororina)

I'll use some screenshots to show what I mean:

(of course I'm drawing it very extreme)

And now I'll show a screenshot how a zombie map is supposed to be:

(the player is allowed to freely move around on the map)

The problem with these maps is that they do now work out on the zombie server because there simply should be a start nor and end, you should be placed in a world where you should try to survive and can roam around there freely.

I'm not saying the maps I called above as examples aren't great maps, as example portal2, I really loved to do the map (with teamwork and stuff) but sadly it's not working and not good for the zombie server. Most people don't get how the path work or aren't able to do it and so it leads to a few good people coming to the end and surviving there while the rest are zombified very fast and have to wait until the round is over.

So please keep this in mind when making a map for the zombie server!

With kind regards,
Vatumok

Wyrer

Rooster
Donor
Reaction score
What are your opinions on maps that loop? (e.g grandprix) And are you saying the linear/circle maps we have should be removed?

Tuna

Reaction score
Now, what if I made a "linear" map, that encompassed a free-roam city, but with blocked off segments that generally lead the player through a path to a destination? for example, in halo ODST, you are dropped into the city, and must get to a certain point, but there are many many offshoots and explorable buildings and such. would this count as linear? (Some parts of the city would ONLY be accessible through certain paths, not from just anywhere).

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score
Now, what if I made a "linear" map, that encompassed a free-roam city, but with blocked off segments that generally lead the player through a path to a destination? for example, in halo ODST, you are dropped into the city, and must get to a certain point, but there are many many offshoots and explorable buildings and such. would this count as linear? (Some parts of the city would ONLY be accessible through certain paths, not from just anywhere).
I'm pretty sure your map will be fine :]

kendall22

Reaction score
the map im makin is consisting of 3 parts, u spawn in the neather and can roam freely around it, then in a hidden spot theres a way to 'normal' land (earth). with that, another passage leads to a mineshaft for a final secret, will this be a fine map to have? better be cause i just finished it XD

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
So how do i make a map.
This is more a thread about what to keep in mind when making a map because so many maps have things I noted in my post that are quite bad for the server.

You make a map by first finding a server where you can get your own map on (I think you can use nillbug's server, just ask him for a map) - when you get your own map (64-128*64-128*64-128) you just build on that map the way you want it to be ingame (if you can't use adminium use for example sponges in it's place and ask an operator on the server to replace it with adminium when it's done.

When you have the map completed on that server you either:
- Dump it with your WoM client and convert the .dat file you get into a .lvl file with a converter, if you don't exactly get this I can do this for you too if you can upload the .dat file.
- Immediately ask the server owner for a .lvl file, this way you can immediately upload it and post it on the forums - you don't have to convert anything.

When you have the file make a map submission thread with screenshots and information about the map and it will most likely be added to the server unless it has several major flaws.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
what is a good map building server
Hockeymatt, you should know better than to necropost your a trusted player. Incase you have forgotten a necropost is posting something that does not pertain to the thread or is useful to it on a thread that has been dead for a month or more.

But to answer your question, both avant and hockeyfan run build servers and the servers are very good.

Vrgin

Survival Staff
Reaction score
Hockeymatt, you should know better than to necropost your a trusted player. Incase you have forgotten a necropost is posting something that does not pertain to the thread or is useful to it on a thread that has been dead for a month or more.

But to answer your question, both avant and hockeyfan run build servers and the servers are very good.
oh im sorry for asking for help when the title of this is advice for map making