Player vs Player Combat and Faction Wars

erik1979

Reaction score
Recently there has been a huge fuss regarding the state of PVP within the Primordia server. I've formulated a suggestion, or rather idea, to combat some of the main issues regarding PVP.

Declarations of War
Nations may not conduct lethal operations (Player vs Player killing) until a formal declaration of war has been comprised and announced for the entire community to see.
  • This will help with the un-warranted or un-wanted raids conducted by specific users within a family
  • It will help to clear up the confusion and fuss about nations being at at war with each other
  • Throughout world history and the wars within, nations have more often than not declared war on each other before conducting in lethal operations (yes, I know there are exceptions, i.e. Pearl Harbor and the attack on Americans by Japanese)
  • Help to improve the realism of the server, and give users a more genuine feeling of war, enhancing experiences while playing on the Primordia Server
  • Provide documented proof of nations being at war
Peace Treaties
Much like the Declaration of War, a peace treaty, publicly posted/declared would clear up the mass-confusion about whether or not raids should be conducted on a specific faction.
  • Clear up confusion about nations being at peace/at a cease-fire
  • Give users a more genuine and official feeling of peace or war
  • Give documented proof of nations being at peace
  • Prevent stray or unlawful users from conducting lethal raids against a neutral faction, in turn preventing the handfuls of counter-raids that occur from these attacks
Both of the fore-said matters deal with PVP between two factions. It will be relatively difficult to effectively accomplish the changing over of free-pvp to a more limited version, but I can assure that hard work will pay off and there will be less problems if a system similar to the one above is enacted.

The above ideas deal with users in a faction, what if I don't belong to a faction?
PVP for those people that do not belong to a faction will remain on, and users may still freely conduct raids or attack a nation. Those that aren't in factions are looked at as the "wild" people, so to speak within the server, much like the outlaws were looked at in the old west. Not all users that fall under this category left nations or never joined them to stay out of the affairs. Many stayed away or left to avoid the constant issues that were going on with the present PVP system. Declarations of War and Peace Treaties may encourage users to join factions again, however I can not accurately decide this.

Now that you've taken the time to read what I've said, please do post your suggestions/ideas/questions in response and we will continue to move forward and try to create the best experience for all users on the Blocktopia Primordia Server.

Mac27

Your local Macintosh XXVII
Reaction score
Yeah I agree the PvP system needs a re-vamp. Your solution seams pretty good and I quite like it.

I think, we could work it like this:

We have a thread that is purely for declarations. A specified format would be supplied for the leader of the family to post with, containing his/hers families war decisions, perhaps like this:

Primordia Documentation of Warfare: New Status:
  • Family:
  • At War With: / Declaring Peace With:
  • Reasons for doing so:
  • Tag the Head of the family you are at war/peace with:
  • Date:
Signed: <Head Of Family's name here"

erik1979

Reaction score
Ahhh yes. Your solution would provide an easy place for users to submit their treaties or declarations. This would also keep things clean and tidy/help avoid confusion on the status of a declaration. Not only that, the entire community can see these documents, leaving no excuse for "not knowing" anything about a nation's status. Declarations should also have the popular support of a nation's council, and not just be up to the decision of a leader.

• Agree
Reactions: Shmid

erik1979

Reaction score
Aren't the people that are causing these solo raids to turn into wars people that don't read or go on/have a forum account? :U
These users have visited the forums at least once before and probably do hop on here and there. Either way, news could be posted up in the spawn about the current faction status, along with the fact that PVP between two nations would be completely turned off until there was a Declaration of War. Therefore none of these users would have the opportunity to even attack someone from another faction, completely preventing all of the bullshit.

• Agree
Reactions: Friendy

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I think the Family leaders should be able to set announcements for their Family, Like Factions, So that they can tell every /Family/ member that logs in any news there is to say.

I also jut want to say that, What about freelancers? They are not in families so would they be PvP-able?

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I think the Family leaders should be able to set announcements for their Family, Like Factions, So that they can tell every /Family/ member that logs in any news there is to say.

I also jut want to say that, What about freelancers? They are not in families so would they be PvP-able?
First point, I think we still have the faction plug-in that lets us declare war or alliances with other familes, but is it used?

Second point, what do you mean by Free-Lance being PvP-able? As in we should declare war first, or that when we get raided we don't need any prior warning?

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
First point, I think we still have the faction plug-in that lets us declare war or alliances with other familes, but is it used?

Second point, what do you mean by Free-Lance being PvP-able? As in we should declare war first, or that when we get raided we don't need any prior warning?
That you don't need prior warning, As it isn't a Family, Unless they could make 'Factions' or clans.

lolpierandom

Reaction score
From my experience with factions servers in general, it really does bring out the worst in people and things turn vicious really fast unless there's almost nonstop supervision.

• Agree
Reactions: Friendy

Mac27

Your local Macintosh XXVII
Reaction score
Please... no factions. Factions brought the worst out of people. Already been tested when we had the freedomville spawn (SMP map v2?).
Umm, please correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick here, but where the hell does Factions come into this? The suggestion is to have a thread (or similar) somewhere that directly states whether a family is at war with one of the other 3 families or not.

LagWarrior

SMP Veteran Operator
Reaction score
Umm, please correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick here, but where the hell does Factions come into this? The suggestion is to have a thread (or similar) somewhere that directly states whether a family is at war with one of the other 3 families or not.
Was in reply to angel's and jay's idea on factions. ;p

erik1979

Reaction score
@Mac27 completely understands where I'm going with this.

@Jayfeather21
I was not originally planning to involve the use of a new plugin with this, but rather just modify the current PVP system a little bit. I've done some looking into the Factions plugin, and I do see some potential with it. The past may not have been bright with this plugin, but it could be re-implemented and ONLY used for War and Peace between two nations, nothing more, nothing less.

@EphemeralKap @Iguana
If it is possible for PVP to be turned off between two groups of users, but not all, then I'd love to see the same plugin stay in place and there be no need for an additional plugin. However, due to the nature of the server (and don't quote me on this, as it is my best guess), I think that it would be rather difficult to do this. I would assume that 5 ranks would have to be created, because I don't think that a PVP plugin would recognize what the clan plugin is saying as far as being in a specific family goes, however I may be wrong on this due to the fact that certain actions within the server require you to be apart of a certain family.

@AngelWV
My original idea was just for a modification on the current PVP system, with users posting in a specific thread to declare war/sign a peace treaty. Those who are not in factions would still have all PVP rights to attack anyone that they pick and choose, as stated above. Unless there is some harmony between our clans plugin and the PVP plugin, I think it would be rather difficult to create permissions to allow only one nation to create another. Factions has done a decent job of accomplishing this, and without all the other BS, I think that it may work. I don't want to put all my faith in that plugin though, as I'm still looking around to see what different people have to offer, mainly looking for a very in-depth PVP plugin.

Edit: Looked more in-depth with the factions plugin, and it would require quite an involvement with that plugin. Judging by past experiences, it hasn't worked as successfully as most would have thought it would. Also, as I have stated in this post, the original idea WASN'T based on the factions plugin. I will have to to wait and see what the HCs and VetOps post as far as the current plugin goes.

• Agree
Reactions: DKnucklehead

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
You're essentially restricting people to no pvp, and eventually most people will just leave the families because they always want that utility of people able to kill and steal. It's not about peace sometimes, sometimes it's about keeping the most people online and we'd lose a lot more users specifically restricting them from certain CORE attractions to our server. Once everyone jumps off of the families, players will eventually start their own rebel families in freezones which pretty much make the official families worthless and we'll eventually scrap them and then create them again with the PVP rules off again.

Peace treaties are /somewhat/ already in place in terms of family recaps. Most of your family recaps already include current political stature and how you guys feel about others, so maybe even just making a centralized list would establish what we're trying to accomplish for the whole "clearing up mass confusion" subject.

All in all, these are great ideas, but once I project the ideas in my head, I'm not seeing enough of a positive influence outweighing the negative. The sides are essentially balanced at this point, so I'm not 100% sure about it, but this is definitely something we will probably test out and plan over the course of the next few months, so thanks for the input.

• Agree
Reactions: Jayfeather