Optional Smilies

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
i had meant a little tickbox, although the bumping of this thread has raised [plain]:D[/plain] awareness, which is excellent

is the post editor itself able to be edited? for example, adding bbcode shortcuts?
(this was worded horribly)

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
???????

[ plain] xxx [/ plain]

done. As you wrote yourself in this thread.

We won't change the automatic smilies just for the few times people don't want them (apart from the fact of that not being possible)
For curiosity's sake, do you mean that the smilies are designed in such a way that it would be impossible/time-consuming/not worth it/not a high priority to implement a per-user option on the User CP that would stop the forums from showing them smilies? i.e. so that from their end :D always renders as :D and not as :D, but so that it would still render as :D to another user who had smilies turned on.

I ask because I would appreciate this feature, but I understand that in the midst of the community overhaul it might not be a top priority, or may already have been looked into and deemed not worth the effort.

• Agree
Reactions: Hunter and Duffie

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
For curiosity's sake, do you mean that the smilies are designed in such a way that it would be impossible/time-consuming/not worth it/not a high priority to implement a per-user option on the User CP that would stop the forums from showing them smilies? i.e. so that from their end :D always renders as :D and not as :D, but so that it would still render as :D to another user who had smilies turned on.

I ask because I would appreciate this feature, but I understand that in the midst of the community overhaul it might not be a top priority, or may already have been looked into and deemed not worth the effort.
Took a quick look, I'm not exactly a forum wizard but I don't think it could be on a per-user basis, it'd have to be forum-wide (though pretty sure we can change it away from changing with a :D and instead set it to something like :grin:)

• Useful
Reactions: Duffie

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Or you could just edit the smiley shortcuts, I use xenforo for my website, and that's how I did it.

But Hunter has that plugin, and it seems like a good idea.
That plugin doesn't add anything that we need / can't already do, XF 1.4 has a very well designed smiley manager already.

Pick Yer Poison - I love the idea, but there is unfortunately no system I know of that would enable that per-user basis thing. Will browse around some more.

But, like Creeper says, we can simply remove the quickcode of
Code:
:D
to show as :-D automatically, if people are really annoyed by it, and replace it with something else.

EDIT:

For now, :) and :D won't show a smiley, but
Code:
 :-) and :-D
will.

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
That plugin doesn't add anything that we need / can't already do, XF 1.4 has a very well designed smiley manager already.

Pick Yer Poison - I love the idea, but there is unfortunately no system I know of that would enable that per-user basis thing. Will browse around some more.

But, like Creeper says, we can simply remove the quickcode of
Code:
:D
to show as :-D automatically, if people are really annoyed by it, and replace it with something else.

EDIT:

For now, :) and :D won't show a smiley, but
Code:
 :-) and :-D
will.
Thank you GmK. This is defiantly something that I love! I hates those stupid smileys.