Nyxo's Operator Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
In-game username: XxNyXoxx

Time-zone: GMT-7, West coast

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day? Depending on the day, anywhere from an one hour to 12. My schedule is pretty loose, and I'm available most of the time when I'm not busy with school

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? The responsibilities of an operator on Rituals of Fire range from moderating the server to acting as an example for new players, helping new players to mediating disputes, enforcing the rules to ensuring the server is running smoothly. Essentially, the role of an operator is to act as an example player. While maturity and assertiveness is required in some situations, the server is meant to be fun, and therefore operators should also create a pleasant atmosphere, whether it be managing players or rule breakers, playing normally and letting back a little, or maintaining activity on forums.

What sets you apart from other applicants? I'm more quiet than others, but I tend to get along with everyone. I know when it's necessary to step up and take control of a situation versus kicking back and relaxing. Not only am I active on the server, but I'm frequently on teamspeak, along side my dabblings on the forums.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? As stated earlier, I'm more quiet than others. I don't like forcing my way into conversations, and I often get lost in my own devices and end up AFK for some periods of time.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with? I would attempt to get someone who would know what to do and attempt to learn from it. If no such person was available, I would gauge the situation and use previous experience to try and produce the best possible solution, though it would depend on the situation. If it was something minor, I'd most likely take care of it myself, but if the situation required a level of jurisdiction outside of my realm, I would attempt to contain the situation and wait for someone to be available to resolve said situation.

What previous experience staffing on Blocktopia servers do you have? I staffed on classic zombie, TNT and SMP sometime before JtE, not sure the exact version. I'm also currently staffing on Infection.

References: WiiGoGetter and Dessern5

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
You have a tonne of experience of staffing, on a whole range of different servers. Although, none of that is on RoF or CLS.
I see you a decent bit, you seem like a mature player and know the rules (as well as follow them).
I don't see you an awful lot, but from what I've seen I think that a staff position would be right for you. +1

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
I've been watching you the past few weeks and I have to say you have definitely stood out. What I really like is that you help out in unique ways not the normal "Don't flood that's illegal or Welcome to the server! Blah read the rules". I have always hated when people think helping is just saying the above. But you have gone far beyond what I would expect of a operator candidate.

+1

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to see you quite a bit (especially since I get on early in the mornings) and I can see that you're mature, friendly and tend to interact with the players accordingly. As has been mentioned earlier, you have a nice range of staffing experience and I can see that you can divide your time between the servers as you're quite active on RoF and you already staff Infection - so that shouldn't be a problem for you. Kudos to you and good luck in the rest of your application! +1

Reactions: Undefined User 7

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
To be honest, I barely saw you on the server until few days/ weeks ago, which makes me think you only came to the server just to show activity and then apply. Rushing applications are not good, this application is weak in my opinion, and only the fact that you were staff on classic zombie, TNT and SMP and now are staffing on Infection, makes you qualified for this position. Seems like you're just going by the book, ready to follow instructions, give other people the commands, and lead by the manual, but not actually helping them in a way an Operator is expected to assist. Although the way you answered what you think Opeator's responsibilities are, does show that you understand the concept of being a RoF staff member are. This was all too rushed, Infection is a new server and it needs all the attention you could give right now, I think you should take time to think. 0

• Informative
Reactions: Kuyajer

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
I actually see you quite often, even though I'm three hours ahead of you. You're usually on quite a lot, you've always been helpful, even back when I first started RoF. You go out of your way to help players who join for the first time to feel they're welcomed. I've known you for a few years since classic zombie, you've always been helpful. True enough, you're well aware of the duty and responsibility of staffing. You've done quite well over the years, this I remember. Though the being quite part could be a small problem, you're still quite helpful and even quicker to the draw when it comes to answering questions than I am. And I'm quite quick, myself. Although I won't vote, I'd give you a shot at staffing here. Quietness is something easy to overcome, it's still something to work on. I believe you'd do well staffing with us. Good luck~

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: LordJ and Kuyajer

Refrigerated_Elements

Dear Apparition
Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
I have found you to be quite a friendly player in the server. You answer questions that newer players have and do a good job with it. I also find you to be a great staff member of infection. Plus you have plenty of experience in staffing blocktopia servers in the past. I feel you could work on talking a little more and not afking as much. Overall I would love to see you in our staff team +1.

• Informative
Reactions: Kuyajer

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
To be honest, I barely saw you on the server until few days/ weeks ago, which makes me think you only came to the server just to show activity and then apply. Rushing applications are not good, this application is weak in my opinion, and only the fact that you were staff on classic zombie, TNT and SMP and now are staffing on Infection, makes you qualified for this position. Seems like you're just going by the book, ready to follow instructions, give other people the commands, and lead by the manual, but not actually helping them in a way an Operator is expected to assist. Although the way you answered what you think Opeator's responsibilities are, does show that you understand the concept of being a RoF staff member are. This was all too rushed, Infection is a new server and it needs all the attention you could give right now, I think you should take time to think. 0
Response noted, I'll make a proper response within the next twelve hours or so. As for everyone else, thank you for the responses, and I'll be sure to take any constructive criticism into account and try to improve based upon that.

I'm going to take all of this into account and break it down by bit, as I understand these worries and potential issues, and I wish to be able to clear these concerns or doubts, as it would certainly be best to address these points while also further providing my capability. Wall of text and a bit of an expansion of my application, if you will, below.

I do believe it is a bit presumptuous to assume my intentions of playing only to become staff, and that's the first point I'd like to address. I acknowledge my ontime has been rather lackluster until rather recently, and my activity on Blocktopia had all but disappeared. However, I'd like to point these concerns to the simple fact that we are in radically different timezones, ten hours apart. This means that while, yes, we do see eachother sometimes, it's not unless it's, from memory, early morning for me (around 6AM), or very late evening for you (1AM). I would also like to make clear that I actually have spent a lot of time on the server, perhaps not as much as some would like to see, but certainly more than a few times over the weeks. Thus, I'm inclined to feel slightly miffed at this point, simply because these are not my intentions and I would like to make that very clear.

My reasons for applying are my own, but to give some brief insight, I applied because I felt as though I could be of more help in an operator position. I don't need a rank to help out, and I do my best to be friendly, courteous and overall welcoming while avoiding becoming overbearing. I play on the server regardless of player count, because I, to put it simply, enjoy the server very much. I played a lot back when it was still called LSMP, and while I left for a rather long period of time, I've been very active up to now. I say this because I play whether there's 35 players or three. I've even played alone. It's not rare, not even uncommon, at least for me, recently, to be on when there's no staff. On the flip side, there's also times where I've seen six staff members online. If I were to obtain a trial process, I do think that I would be able to handle many issues within the server without the need of pinging an operator who is currently busy. Of course, rank is not a necessity, but a mere formality, until one needs to be able to access the privileges that come with being a member of staff, which is why I felt inclined to apply. Essentially, what I wish is to be able to assist to the fullest extent. If declined, I won't disappear. I do enjoy just being on a lot, or I would not have devoted myself to the server as much as I have. I just want to clear any doubt or unease surrounding my application.

In regards to my application, I also believe it was misinterpreted. Yes, while it is short, it was in no way rushed. As I said before, I'm quiet. A problem of mine is getting my thoughts and views out to their fullest extent, and I sometimes struggle with expressing myself. What I believe to be sufficient ends up seemingly incomplete or lacking certain components, so for that I apologize, and that's why I'm trying to make up for it with a long, thought-out response. I understand that I may have not stood out to you before and thus only my previous/current staff positions qualify me for my position, but I myself believe I am qualified for at the very least, an indefinite trial. I recognize the fact that I am rather reserved at times and there can be long periods of time where I forgo speaking, simply due to my nature. I'm not one to be outspoken or brushed off, but I don't particularly like forcing my way into a conversation, or chatter completely devoid of thought. I help out when I see fit, as I feel no reason to speak when a question is going to be answered by three different people all within seconds of each other, but as an unfortunate side effect I tend to help more when nobody else is there to do so.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant about following the book and helping out, but not to the levels that an operator should. I actually do try to help others in different ways other than the boring, mindless droning of "Hello, welcome to RoF, ___. Please familiarize yourself with our /rules and have a good time". I interact with people not only through the chat, but I try to branch out as well through teamspeak and on the forums, where I stick mostly to the suggestions, but still check out other sections. As I don't know what you mean by other expectations, I can't really provide a response for, but if there's anything specific you'd like to mention so I could work on that as well as any other constructive criticism, then by all means tell me.

As for your final point, yes, Infection is new, and yes it could use a little love. A lot of love actually, I won't deny that we could use more players. However, I did not go from a trialop to a VetOp for nothing. I've worked hard both on deck and behind the scenes, dealing with server play, map submission, bug reports, map adjustments and super duper secret staff stuff, along with the staff forums. To say that infection requires attention is true. I have actually considered this a lot, whether it is apparent or not, but in the end I reached a conclusion that I could split my time between the two servers. I have enough time, and if there ever came a point where I didn't, there's a reason for away time.

I apologize if this seems bitter or if I sound antagonized, but as I said, I'm a quiet person. While my thoughts might not be visible, I have taken a lot of the obligations into account, and I would like to dispel any skepticism or qualms you, or anyone else, might have.

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
I do believe it is a bit presumptuous to assume my intentions of playing only to become staff, and that's the first point I'd like to address. I acknowledge my ontime has been rather lackluster until rather recently, and my activity on Blocktopia had all but disappeared. However, I'd like to point these concerns to the simple fact that we are in radically different timezones, ten hours apart. This means that while, yes, we do see eachother sometimes, it's not unless it's, from memory, early morning for me (around 6AM), or very late evening for you (1AM). I would also like to make clear that I actually have spent a lot of time on the server, perhaps not as much as some would like to see, but certainly more than a few times over the weeks. Thus, I'm inclined to feel slightly miffed at this point, simply because these are not my intentions and I would like to make that very clear.

My reasons for applying are my own, but to give some brief insight, I applied because I felt as though I could be of more help in an operator position. I don't need a rank to help out, and I do my best to be friendly, courteous and overall welcoming while avoiding becoming overbearing. I play on the server regardless of player count, because I, to put it simply, enjoy the server very much. I played a lot back when it was still called LSMP, and while I left for a rather long period of time, I've been very active up to now. I say this because I play whether there's 35 players or three. I've even played alone. It's not rare, not even uncommon, at least for me, recently, to be on when there's no staff. On the flip side, there's also times where I've seen six staff members online. If I were to obtain a trial process, I do think that I would be able to handle many issues within the server without the need of pinging an operator who is currently busy. Of course, rank is not a necessity, but a mere formality, until one needs to be able to access the privileges that come with being a member of staff, which is why I felt inclined to apply. Essentially, what I wish is to be able to assist to the fullest extent. If declined, I won't disappear. I do enjoy just being on a lot, or I would not have devoted myself to the server as much as I have. I just want to clear any doubt or unease surrounding my application.

In regards to my application, I also believe it was misinterpreted. Yes, while it is short, it was in no way rushed. As I said before, I'm quiet. A problem of mine is getting my thoughts and views out to their fullest extent, and I sometimes struggle with expressing myself. What I believe to be sufficient ends up seemingly incomplete or lacking certain components, so for that I apologize, and that's why I'm trying to make up for it with a long, thought-out response. I understand that I may have not stood out to you before and thus only my previous/current staff positions qualify me for my position, but I myself believe I am qualified for at the very least, an indefinite trial. I recognize the fact that I am rather reserved at times and there can be long periods of time where I forgo speaking, simply due to my nature. I'm not one to be outspoken or brushed off, but I don't particularly like forcing my way into a conversation, or chatter completely devoid of thought. I help out when I see fit, as I feel no reason to speak when a question is going to be answered by three different people all within seconds of each other, but as an unfortunate side effect I tend to help more when nobody else is there to do so.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant about following the book and helping out, but not to the levels that an operator should. I actually do try to help others in different ways other than the boring, mindless droning of "Hello, welcome to RoF, ___. Please familiarize yourself with our /rules and have a good time". I interact with people not only through the chat, but I try to branch out as well through teamspeak and on the forums, where I stick mostly to the suggestions, but still check out other sections. As I don't know what you mean by other expectations, I can't really provide a response for, but if there's anything specific you'd like to mention so I could work on that as well as any other constructive criticism, then by all means tell me.

As for your final point, yes, Infection is new, and yes it could use a little love. A lot of love actually, I won't deny that we could use more players. However, I did not go from a trialop to a VetOp for nothing. I've worked hard both on deck and behind the scenes, dealing with server play, map submission, bug reports, map adjustments and super duper secret staff stuff, along with the staff forums. To say that infection requires attention is true. I have actually considered this a lot, whether it is apparent or not, but in the end I reached a conclusion that I could split my time between the two servers. I have enough time, and if there ever came a point where I didn't, there's a reason for away time.

I apologize if this seems bitter or if I sound antagonized, but as I said, I'm a quiet person. While my thoughts might not be visible, I have taken a lot of the obligations into account, and I would like to dispel any skepticism or qualms you, or anyone else, might have.
The sentences I made bold truly showed that you are serious about this application, and that you do want to help RoF in a special way, an extended way. Must thank you for this post, I appreciate people like you- people that take time out of their day to prove a point and state their mind. Changing my vote from 0 to +1, hope to see you soon!

Reactions: RyanDodd

CaffeinatedKitty

Intoxicated Feline
Reaction score
I have seen you quite a lot recently, and as others have said, you are friendly and actually helpful to newer players. I think that you could make a very good addition to the team, even if you do tend to be a bit on the quiet side. +1

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
I can definitely appreciate the open schedule with the influx of players. As far as my interpretation, you're everything an operator should be, if a bit quiet. And as far as ingame observations, again, they're a bit quiet, but you definitely would be a great staff member. Just a bit wary of the inactive tendencies you have, but a trial would clear all that up.

+1

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Hello!

We have decided to put you on Trial; we like the enthusiasm and spirit you bring to the server, and would be happy to have you on board. Please keep in mind, trials are now lasting indefinitely, so you could be accepted as early as a few days, or as late as a few months. Most likely it will be between those two, so please feel free to ask for help and learn our server from the perspective of staff. Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.