Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Notme

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Your builds are looking fairly good, however they do need a bit more block variation, maybe a bit more depth too. By depth I mean not flat walls and such. Your pumpkin carving entry's hand is looking great however.

A good example of the block variation is the netherbrick build. You can easily keep netherbrick as the main block however, it could do with a bit more variation. Too much of the same block can make things look very plain.

One thing I will point out, is the first picture. It is very plain. There is far too much stone going on, and no where near enough depth. I tend to add depth by giving myself about 3-4 layers of wall to work with, so long as I have the space, and play about with stairs a lot too, they are a very handy block. This is also where block variation will make things look even better. Say you have stonebrick on the front layer, then the second layer, maybe the third too could be a coloured stained clay block for example. I try and have something interesting going on in every single inch of my builds. It can be difficult to do this, without making it look crowded, however with practice you'll find your own personal ways.

I'd say work on extending the variation in your color palettes and depth mostly, and I'd also like to see some interior at some point too. Another thing, that I find helps everyone, is try and make your builds have a unique touch to them. Let your imagination go wild, and don't be afraid of things looking totally wacky!

Unfortunately I'm going with a -1 on this, I don't think you're quite there. However, as I said, your builds are looking good, so don't give up! Keep building, practising and you'll get there c:

Reaction score
Your builds are looking fairly good, however they do need a bit more block variation, maybe a bit more depth too. By depth I mean not flat walls and such. Your pumpkin carving entry's hand is looking great however.

A good example of the block variation is the netherbrick build. You can easily keep netherbrick as the main block however, it could do with a bit more variation. Too much of the same block can make things look very plain.

One thing I will point out, is the first picture. It is very plain. There is far too much stone going on, and no where near enough depth. I tend to add depth by giving myself about 3-4 layers of wall to work with, so long as I have the space, and play about with stairs a lot too, they are a very handy block. This is also where block variation will make things look even better. Say you have stonebrick on the front layer, then the second layer, maybe the third too could be a coloured stained clay block for example. I try and have something interesting going on in every single inch of my builds. It can be difficult to do this, without making it look crowded, however with practice you'll find your own personal ways.

I'd say work on extending the variation in your color palettes and depth mostly, and I'd also like to see some interior at some point too. Another thing, that I find helps everyone, is try and make your builds have a unique touch to them. Let your imagination go wild, and don't be afraid of things looking totally wacky!

Unfortunately I'm going with a -1 on this, I don't think you're quite there. However, as I said, your builds are looking good, so don't give up! Keep building, practising and you'll get there c:
Fair enough, I will keep going though!

Reactions: Zelz

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
First off, i think you have what it takes to become an adv-builder. Although not quite yet. You need to elaborate on your ideas, and make the builds larger in general. For some of your builds you seem to try to cram too much detail in a small space and vice versa. Try to add more shapes/depth in your buildings, that can make up for dry palettes & again vice versa.

this is my favorite build you posted. its got decent shapes involved, some depth and very complimentary block combinations. Keep practicing, you're heading in the right direction!

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Hey newgobby72, thanks for applying for AdvBuilder!

I was just looking around your builds in Buildbox and I'll start with your RadioActiveCity warp. The city looks like a good start, but it seems unfinished to me. The layout is there, but I believe that you should have created more buildings around the area because it looks like you only worked on one street, when a city will usually have multiple streets. Give us the feeling that this city is huge at least. Add other buildings such as a firestation, police station, apartments, water & power, business areas and maybe a park in the center. I like the details in the hotel building and the interior of the hospital, but think about adding more interior work in the new builds that you decide to do.

Now to the builds at your plot.
The netherbrick build is an okay size, but I'd rather see larger builds when players apply for AdvBuilder. On the netherbrick build though, It just seems like you didn't even finish it. Half of the build in the front has that detailed fence area in front of the windows, but the other half doesn't. Also, the exterior walls around the build could use more detail and depth instead of leaving it flat. The interior is lacking quite a bit and also, you're missing quite a few windows. Overall, it just seems like this build is unfinished.

The stonebrick arch build with the blue stained glass is simply unfinished. The design of the front is nice, but that's kinda it. I see that you had a square plan laid out for it, but I think that you should vary up the overall shape of the build. maybe make it "L" or "t" shaped? And then add sufficient details on the other areas of that build

You have two builds that include terraforming in them and I personally like builds that are set on custom terrain. But the builds on your terrain could use more work and loads more details.

Overall, I think that you're rushing it and that you should spend more time on each of your builds. It's great that you have many builds down, but they are small. Try and focus on one build first, make it large, and spend a good amount of time on it by focusing on depth, detail, and block variation -- but don't forget to show off your own style with it as well. It doesn't need to be overly detailed, but enough to show that you've considered different options for the build that you're working on. Also, don't delete your RadioactiveCity. Keep on working on it and add to it when you find the time to. Good luck!

MiyakoWolf

(Miyako)
Reaction score
Hey newgobby72!

I have to agree with the others. I think you have the potential to become AdvBuilder, but you're not quite there yet! You should try to build something bigger, so you can then add more depth and detail into it, making sure that you add it all over the build and not just one bit. You should also experiment with many different types of block within your builds, sometimes contrasting is good.

It may help you to ask some other AdvBuilders to see their work, so you can see the AdvBuilder standards. Its always good to get some inspiration! Another thing that could help you is searching for images of a type of building you would like to create to use as a reference.

As Rawr already suggested, I think you should work on the RadioactiveCity. There are many things that could be added and given the time I think you can make it really great! Don't give up and keep trying!

Tamzies

Reaction score
Hello!
I want to start off with good luck with your application for advanced builder. Now on to the builds.
The first one a knight, its really flat and I miss depth. I do like the swords you made, but those aren't really hard to do quiet frankly. Okay, next build is in a texture pack, using texture packs isn't allowed when making screens. The house is like the most it shows some depth and I like the glass colours, but it still isn't the high advanced level we would like to see. From there on the buildings look plain and depth less. I can see you want to play with blocks and I can see potential. The stonebrick with netherbrick roof. and how you made the 'trees'.

Try keep the style from the glass/stonebrick house in mind and make it bigger and better, I think that, that house shows the most potential now. If I have to give you one tip, use depth and maybe more time. You can make a decent build in 2 hours, but an amazing one in 2 weeks.
For now a -1.

Tamzies Out!

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I know I'm not allowed to post here. But. I'm sure I helped Gobby sort his your temple, does this count as helping him?
Is that the first screenshot? We'd prefer it if players applying for any rank, Builder and AdvBuilder, to do the work 100%. If the player worked with someone else, then It would be best that they show off the section that they worked on instead of the section that was helped on.

Just to clarify he fixed it being not symmetrical.
Regarding this, if JayJay just used //move or //copy & //paste to move the blocks over, then I'd say that it's fine, but if he rebuilt the whole area then you'd have to remove that screenshot/build from this application.

EDIT: Just to clarify, using WorldEdit can be tricky sometimes so it's nice if a player who knows how to deal with WE commands helps out a player that's still learning the WE commands.

Last edited:

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Hi gobby!

I am going to have to agree with the others here. I see you possibly becoming a very good builder, but the screenshots show me that you haven't really worked on anything major. The size of the builds in those screenshots don't leave enough room to make the depth and detail we like to see in our Adv Builders. You have potential and I do not see anything particularly wrong with your maturity, but try to work on a project (or three) for a longer amount of time and make it bigger than what you have now. I'm going with a -1 for now.

Reaction score
Is that the first screenshot? We'd prefer it if players applying for any rank, Builder and AdvBuilder, to do the work 100%. If the player worked with someone else, then It would be best that they show off the section that they worked on instead of the section that was helped on.

Regarding this, if JayJay just used //move or //copy & //paste to move the blocks over, then I'd say that it's fine, but if he rebuilt the whole area then you'd have to remove that screenshot/build from this application.

EDIT: Just to clarify, using WorldEdit can be tricky sometimes so it's nice if a player who knows how to deal with WE commands helps out a player that's still learning the WE commands.
nah, he used //move or whatever.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Okay, so your builds are fairly small as to what I can see.. And they lack detail. I talked with you in BB and you seem to know your depth pretty well, but your detail and size is whats lacking most. As I talked with you I told you about using pictures and videos to help you out, I gave you an example and you thought it seemed impossible. But thats where the videos come in: people showing you how to do those things in the pictures.
You seemed to understand this.

I told you about spending time on your builds, and you showed me your build you were still working on. What you said made me think you need some practice. With the pictures and videos I shared, you should get better.
Good luck!

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Thank you staff for being so prompt with this application!

Unfortunately for the reasons outlined above I am going to have to decline this application - however, do not be disheartened! I see a lot of potential in your building skill and I'm sure that if you were to reapply in a few months with some improved builds your chances would be much better.

Declined for now, you may reapply in a month.

Reactions: Robo
Status
Not open for further replies.