Nerf Mages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
*Typically low HP (60-70) - Class that usually dies in 2 hits.
*Max damage (and DPS) of roughly 35 or 40 with main attacks have poor accuracy, especially when outside melee range/lagging.

If anything, fire rate and aiming with fire ball and ice bolt (or just one of the two spells, if we want to not have them be literal clones of each other) could use a buff.

Iggish

Reaction score
*Typically low HP (60-70) - Class that usually dies in 2 hits.
*Max damage (and DPS) of roughly 35 or 40 with main attacks have poor accuracy, especially when outside melee range/lagging.

If anything, fire rate and aiming with fire ball and ice bolt (or just one of the two spells, if we want to not have them be literal clones of each other) could use a buff.
Getting 4 hit in full chain armour when you have 200 hp does need a nerf.

• Agree
Reactions: Rune

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Getting 4 hit in full chain armour when you have 200 hp does need a nerf.
that very likely wasn't a mage, and 4-hit isn't terribly bad, especially considering that magic typically ignores armor here, and that there are far more powerful abilities and classes (like the executioner, if that still hasn't had its dark scythe nerfed).

Just to make sure, do you know what ability/abilities was/were used to achieve this 4-shot?

_ChoasLego_

Rabbit
Donor
Reaction score
that very likely wasn't a mage, and 4-hit isn't terribly bad, especially considering that magic typically ignores armor here, and that there are far more powerful abilities and classes (like the executioner, if that still hasn't had its dark scythe nerfed).

Just to make sure, do you know what ability/abilities was/were used to achieve this 4-shot?
As a level 50 sorcerer with 36 points put in intellect, I have:
Bolt: 61 damage
Fireball: 46 damage
Icebolt: 41 damage

Each of these abilities has a cooldown of 2 seconds. Also remember that icebolt slows and fireball applies fire onto the target.

Each of these abilities ignores armor and protection enchantments.

Both icebolt and fireball will reduce the target player's movement because of slow and continual fire damage.
Assuming I can land the bolt -> icebolt -> fireball combo, I deal 148 damage within the span of 3 seconds. Also, bolt doesn't require the best of aim, as it isn't a projectile.

alsofuckacool

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
To be honest, there isn't any point playing as Warrior/Melee when you will die from Mages in a second. It makes LoP so boring, and is the reason why I stopped playing; as there was no point being aggressive in LoP when you got people using Mage from a distance with no way of getting to them, and how this makes defending a base so easy that raiders are ALWAYS at an disadvantage; even with better players or gear.

People in my opinion chose Mage because it's easy to use (point and click), does a lot of damage and is basically the jack of all trades; where it can be used to raid very easily and defend very easily. And it shows too, I'm pretty sure that Mage is the MOST played class in the server.

LoP isn't fun for this exact reason, there isn't any point in raiding because of how campy everything is. At least in Solitude you were always fearful of other enemy players and that there was some sort of balance in raiding/defending even if players didn't play Solitude a lot. LoP is too passive for players who want to raid and destroy; whereas in factions, where you are allowed to destroy and the best factionwill eventually end up with the best resources/gear on the server with spawners/a huge base, and Mage is one of the factors to this passiveness. It honestly feels like there isn't any point in me playing LoP because there is no goal, or risk, or reward; only the extremely rare satisfaction of killing a weak player.

Honestly, LoP has catered FAR too much to the builders in the community; and ignored the PvP'ers/Raiders in the community. And people may disagree with this but 3 factions are focused on building; and only one who declares themselves as the family who likes PvP. It may vary from time to time, but I don't think PvP/Raiding is encouraged, even with the Heroes plugin.

So that's my view on Mage and how it affects the dynamics of LoP gameplay. Nerf it quickly before it does more damage than it already has.

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly, LoP has catered FAR too much to the builders in the community; and ignored the PvP'ers/Raiders in the community. And people may disagree with this but 3 factions are focused on building; and only one who declares themselves as the family who likes PvP.
And that faction got destroyed by one of those "Builder families" :^)

But yeh, mages are actually kind of broken tbh. I'm putting everything onto health and yet I still take 3 and a half hearts every Bolt. No matter how much I level up, I still take the same amount of damage.

• Agree
Reactions: Iggish

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
There are two reasons that mages are so powerful at the moment, first off it is that some of the skills seem to ignore armor, at least protection enchants, and secondly, even if it did not, it would still not be very well balanced.

I will look into thit issue of it ignoring armor, and I am currently working on a balance suggestion for all classes. If the armor issue can not be resolved, we will simply have to account to this when balancing. (Mages now got armor pen, or something along those lines)

_ChoasLego_

Rabbit
Donor
Reaction score
I would also like to add that one of the few ways to counter a group of high level mages/sorcerers is to play sorcerer yourself. A bow class is not optimal because you have to slow down and aim while a mage class doesn't need to slow down. Melee classes are out of the question unless you're playing invisi executioner. (Hint: DarkScythe, while relying on intellect, seems to add additional physical damage instead of magical.) Again, mages have protection enchantments for physical attacks. They can tank a full lvl 50 whirlwind (which deals close to 170 damage) when wearing full prot iv leather armor. Meanwhile, a full prot iv chain armor berserker with 194 health can die to 2 bolts and a few ice bolts/ fireballs.
One of the reasons the server might seem stale in terms of pvp/raiding/combat is that there are only two really great classes (Sorcerer, Executioner) and only mediocre classes for the rest. Invisi can dictate the outcome of a fight but once you're hit, your invisi is gone and sorcerers are free to spam bolt and fireballs at you.

alsofuckacool

Iggish

Reaction score
To be honest, there isn't any point playing as Warrior/Melee when you will die from Mages in a second. It makes LoP so boring, and is the reason why I stopped playing; as there was no point being aggressive in LoP when you got people using Mage from a distance with no way of getting to them, and how this makes defending a base so easy that raiders are ALWAYS at an disadvantage; even with better players or gear.

People in my opinion chose Mage because it's easy to use (point and click), does a lot of damage and is basically the jack of all trades; where it can be used to raid very easily and defend very easily. And it shows too, I'm pretty sure that Mage is the MOST played class in the server.

LoP isn't fun for this exact reason, there isn't any point in raiding because of how campy everything is. At least in Solitude you were always fearful of other enemy players and that there was some sort of balance in raiding/defending even if players didn't play Solitude a lot. LoP is too passive for players who want to raid and destroy; whereas in factions, where you are allowed to destroy and the best factionwill eventually end up with the best resources/gear on the server with spawners/a huge base, and Mage is one of the factors to this passiveness. It honestly feels like there isn't any point in me playing LoP because there is no goal, or risk, or reward; only the extremely rare satisfaction of killing a weak player.

Honestly, LoP has catered FAR too much to the builders in the community; and ignored the PvP'ers/Raiders in the community. And people may disagree with this but 3 factions are focused on building; and only one who declares themselves as the family who likes PvP. It may vary from time to time, but I don't think PvP/Raiding is encouraged, even with the Heroes plugin.

So that's my view on Mage and how it affects the dynamics of LoP gameplay. Nerf it quickly before it does more damage than it already has.
LoP is actually quite raid orientated. People are constantly raiding each other. Just because no-one is killed does not make it not raiding. I have gone on quite a few raids where I come back with a full inventory of resources and I consider it successful despite no pvp. However, i do agree with you that mages are a massive deterrent to raid. When planning out a raid, i look at the players in tab and then do /hero list (name) to find out their levels. So many times i have been massively put off by 3/4 master mages in one clan. But. Would a master mage be put off by 3 master warriors? No. I think this is why it should be nerfed.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I've mostly stopped for the inverse of this reason; my Master sorcerer can't touch an unmastered god-race class (a.k.a executioner).
I can't really say how well I've done against any of the other classes, though, since they were always accompanied by said god-executioner (which of course meant I died 10 times in a row), or this one time where I stopped two or three people chasing me for simple fear that my fireball could knock them off a narrow bridge and into lava.

This is just speculation, but a good portion of my troubles might be that
A. I don't wear any armor at all, so absolutely everything does full damage or more (looking at god damn dark scythe) to me.
B. I try to specialize in one certain element, specifically ice. This bit is causing me trouble, likely because it means I can't spam shit at people.

This is the other reason, or at least, the result of the other reason to why I have quickly stopped playing; all my family wants me to do is build more trump walls or flatten more hills (with an occasional tree-clearing field mission, which I mind a lot less).

On a somewhat separate note, I do feel a fair bit alienated from my family (generally speaking), mainly because they don't consider any of the things I've already done as actual contributions to the family.
Anyone in my family who wants to talk to me about this, please contact me in some way.

• Agree
Reactions: Rune

BrickWolf

The Concrete Dog
Reaction score

FreakyCupcake

Discord Director, SMP Mod
Reaction score
This is the other reason, or at least, the result of the other reason to why I have quickly stopped playing; all my family wants me to do is build more trump walls or flatten more hills (with an occasional tree-clearing field mission, which I mind a lot less).

I do feel a fair bit alienated from my family (generally speaking), mainly because they don't consider any of the things I've already done as actual contributions to the family.
I'm sorry that you feel as though you have been alienated from Dagon. However, part of the reason why you may feel alienated is because a lot of talking is done in Teamspeak as opposed to using in-game chat solely. We wanted you to contribute as others have done to the construction of the city. We have not built walls for at least two weeks nor have we flattened any hills in that time. Most of our time has been spent creating infrastructure, exploring and raiding sporadically. I may be wrong, but the only thing that i can remember in detail was you spamming Icebolt for a few days in the darkroom in order to level up Sorcerer.

I've mostly stopped for the inverse of this reason; my Master sorcerer can't touch an unmastered god-race class (a.k.a executioner).
I can't really say how well I've done against any of the other classes, though, since they were always accompanied by said god-executioner (which of course meant I died 10 times in a row), or this one time where I stopped two or three people chasing me for simple fear that my fireball could knock them off a narrow bridge and into lava.
Mages are very overpowered at the moment, especially since Bolt and Slow was fixed a few days ago - my bolt spell does around 60 damage every two seconds. Executioners are easily dealt with if you keep distance and your spells (spam bolt). I cannot recall any raids you took part in with us apart from the time when you died to a spider on the way to the family we were raiding. From my own experience of PvPing, Sorcerer has an edge over every class, particularly Ranger.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Even being a mage I definitely think that they are overpowered as hell.

Using a combination of slow, bolt, icebolt, and fire can pretty much kill somebody immediately.

My recommendation would be to increase the cooldown for bolt to something like 10-15seconds otherwise I can just spam through every spell in a matter of 2 seconds and then do the exact same thing again

Iggish

Reaction score
Tries to fight mages in water when we have depth strider and gets killed. Decides to post a salty af thread. I hope staff don't take this shit seriously especially with inactive players coming in here saying mages should be nerfed.
Me being the victim of mages does not make this thread irrelevant and you should not just disregard it. Me being salty does not change the fact that mages are very overpowered compared to most other classes. let me remind you that I am a level 50 knight and so getting killed in 5 seconds by one mage is a joke.
Also, as a mage yourself, maybe you are salty that mages might be nerfed so you can't be so Overpowered? Is this why you are trying to disregard the thread? Just a thought.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I'm sorry that you feel as though you have been alienated from Dagon. However, part of the reason why you may feel alienated is because a lot of talking is done in Teamspeak as opposed to using in-game chat solely. We wanted you to contribute as others have done to the construction of the city. We have not built walls for at least two weeks nor have we flattened any hills in that time. Most of our time has been spent creating infrastructure, exploring and raiding sporadically. I may be wrong, but the only thing that i can remember in detail was you spamming Icebolt for a few days in the darkroom in order to level up Sorcerer.

Mages are very overpowered at the moment, especially since Bolt and Slow was fixed a few days ago - my bolt spell does around 60 damage every two seconds. Executioners are easily dealt with if you keep distance and your spells (spam bolt). I cannot recall any raids you took part in with us apart from the time when you died to a spider on the way to the family we were raiding. From my own experience of PvPing, Sorcerer has an edge over every class, particularly Ranger.
I've not done much since mastering Sorcerer because I pretty much haven't been on since a few days after that, with the exception of a certain thing our leader wanted to show us that I do not wish to disclose to other families.
As far as building houses and stuff goes for me, I haven't really done any for anyone, not even myself (more on that if any family member talks to me about it somewhere a tad more private), since I literally have not gotten Teamspeak (if that's a thing I have to get).

Since I have not been on the server in a while and things have clearly changed a good deal since I was last on, this shall be my last post on this thread (unless I get on the server and magically find something relevant).

Tamzies

Reaction score
I am a mage and I even think I am overpowered as hell. I haven't raided once in my sorcerer life, but I kill things in our darkroom. If I see how quickly innocent mobs die, it shocks me. I can literally keep spawning spells, mana regens like crazy + I got enough hp to sustain. I hate combat and pvp, but this makes combat obsolete. Skeletons can't even touch me nor other monsters. That is unfair for others.

• Agree
Reactions: Iggish

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
A rather big balance patch for heroes is almost finished, it will touch all mages, executioner, knight and all rangers. It will be applied as soon as possible. Patch notes will be added to the patch thread, the wiki thing should be updated accordingly.
Until then, I will lock this thread. Thank you for all your input, and I will love to hear your feedback on this once it's released.

(Tier 3 classes is the next thing we will look at as soon as this patch is released)

Status
Not open for further replies.